ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 head with damaged rocker cover

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Hi,

I'm after some advice. I've been offered a Clio 172 head for my track car build but the rocker cover is damaged and unusable. What are my options here? can I use a rocker cover off a scrap engine or is the head scrap? Seems a bit of a waste if the rest of the head, cams, valves etc are intact.

Thanks

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The rocker cover is matched to the head so may/may not seal depending on how lucky you get finding a replacement

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
is there any risk of damaging cams or is it just the fact that it may weep oil?

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
I'm not certain about Clios, but I'd have thought it was to do with the integral bearings in the cover being line bored to those in the head - rather than anything to do with external sealing of oil.

That's the normal problem with swapping cam caps between heads. The risk is they don't adequately support the cam and it could damage it, or bind etc.

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Yeah thats my worry that the cams binding. Sounds like the head could be scrap to be on the safe side but it just seems a shame with everything else being in tact

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
Yeah thats my worry that the cams binding. Sounds like the head could be scrap to be on the safe side but it just seems a shame with everything else being in tact

Yeah I've seen people get away with it on slow running diesels with individual caps, but I'd be less keen to try it on the Clio. That said I bet someone's done it and got lucky.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Fit the cover without sealant and tighten all the bolts down. Try and turn the cams. If they turn then happy days. If they don’t - try and find another cam cover.

They’re matched from the factory in terms of the line bore for the cam journals, so in theory they shouldn’t be swapped. But it can be done as I have done it a couple of times using the method above.

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Thanks for the advice. Definitely worth a try before completely scrapping a healthy head. Just out of interest. Would there be any issues putting 182 head on a 172 engine?

Daz89

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Will they fit on the 172 if you have all the inlets and breather plate etc from the 182?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The safest way, if you're planning on mixing matched components, would be to Plastigauge the existing clearances and then use that value against the new cover to get within spitting distance of the original spec.

If it's a larger clearance, you're likely going to have issues with oil pressure and top end tapping. If it's smaller, you *may* find the engine runs great for a few seconds and then grinds to a halt, as the journals get warm, expand into the head (further reducing the clearances) and destroys your valves/cylinder head. You may get away with it either way (I've had it go both ways on me before... fnnaarr fnnaarrr)

This is why it's pretty much frowned upon, due to the costs/risks involved. I'd honestly advise you look for another cylinder head which doesn't need an unmatched part.