ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Reliability Ph2

What is the general reliability of this model.

Are there many common faults?

like the idea of this car, very fast and decent fuel economy

cheers

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So far mine has had a replacment gearbox but that was probably due to the last owner driving it like a c**t?! The gearboxes are in general quite week though. Ive had the circlip go on my dif which was about a £100 fix including the towing, apart from that in had it about a year and all else its needed are normal stuff, like rear discs + bearings + pads, battery, and the all important 72k/5 year service which includes the cam and aux belt change.

BMW M135i
Gearboxes aren't weak they just don't like abuse. I've done over 50k with renault JB/JC series gearboxes and I haven't killed one yet, its all about being mechanically sympathetic.

Look at MarkCup's 172 cup, done 100k or so and has been hammered for every one of those miles and has done a lot of track work and as far as I know is still on the original gearbox.

Change gear like the fast and the furious and you'll be paying for a new gearbox in no time at all. Also double declutched downshifts into low gears at high speed helps a lot.

Clio 172 mk2
I've had my 172 for over two years and it's been very reliable.usual rattles but otherwise great mechanically.

I think it varies from car to car...some people have had some real nightmares with Clios

172 mk2 Iceberg
had mine for a couple of years ,, no problems so far...

maybe the iceburg silver ones are better ?

911 carrera 2, Yamaha R6
Mine's on 90k now and still going strong. No major faults just the normal silly niggles

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
im the 3rd owner and the car has covered 48K miles.

apart from the obvious cabin noises. I had to replace a relay

Id advise to get the cambelt replace as per the renault schedule theres been a few snaps on here by people not following it.

RB 197 + Cup Pack
I've had no major problems with mine apart from the exhaust falling off 18 months ago but that was easily replaced (although it was a bit pricey!).

New alternator, aux belt and battery at 34k.

Climate control fan - drives me nuts but only costs £8 to sort out. Will do this next weekend as the quick fix seems to have made it worse.

Iceberg is the best colour!