ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 what will i keep up with?

I

invisible man

Come on guys give the lad a break, ive lost count the amount of times ive read of stories on here about whos keeping up with who on their 'private' runway in the road driving stories section.

And lets be honest, it's something we all consider when deciding over what car to buy next, infact its not just considering its pretty high up the list of priorities.

Or am i to believe that you bought the clio because you loved the fact that everything rattles, that when doing more than 70mph the wind noise means you have to crank the stereo up, or the fact that the steering wheel decays in you're hand, exhausts rarely see out their warranty or just that it is a small hatchback synonomous with 'girly looking car', heck, you may even have bought it because Renault customer services are so great you love the repeated trips to the local dealer.

Despite all these things you still chose to buy one...why, because its a cheap fast car, which is basically the guys point so get off his back and give the guy some advice, we were all young once and dreamed of fast cars, those fortunate enough to be in the position to own one should lend their knowledge.

But no, this is cliosport so anyone in their teens who dares ask such questions and has a post count of less than 1,000 is automatically a chavvy boy racer.

For what its worth mate, buy a vag car and remap it, it wont rattle, and even a diesel not only keep up with but in most cases tear a standard 1*2 a new a**hole.

Despite what you will read on here, a renaultsport clio is not the best thing since internet p**n.

I agree with your first points whole heartidly, but regarding buying a remapped diesel to tear a new a-hole into a 1*2 I don't. You are basically saying that you have to modify a car to keep up with another that is standard? Besides I quite often come across Golf TDi's and the only thing they do is cut me up then hold me up by hogging the overtaking lane:mad:

172 FF
The 172 was quite a scary street car to me when I first got it, even though it does have good handling. Reason being that you have to be up at the top of the rev band to be doing any serious driving, & driving like this round the streets means you are likely to be killing someone at it is very hard to switch from foot down to braking. Also you need to be slowing down for tight corners on small streets & you will have to be dropping down to 2nd or 1st to get the torque pickup back. Anyway you shouldn't be racing on any small streets, it's just too dangerous.
On big roads then it's down to how good you know the car & how good a driver the opposition is, although this goes for any car.
i.e. If you are crusing by the side of a turbo car who is on the start of the boost & you both decide to boot it he will leave you. To stay with him you would have to be cruising at 5500rpm or something when you both drop it to stay anywhere near :p

If I were you I would go for something like a 1.4/1.6 turbo, dunno if there is anything fast like that these days though. The turbo's can be really crap in the wet though so you have to watch out there, but they pickup really low in the rev band, max torque is usually 2500/3000 rpm, so you get instant pickup.

And whatever car you get don't go out & thrash it about trying to limit it for a few months until you are certain of what it can do.

Things to note on 172s, they have crazy liftoff oversteer at 70+, meaning if you boot it round a fast corner, it will start drifting to the outside of the bend & if you lift off the accelerator it pulls in really really sharp & will proably scare you first time.
Also as said above you have to be hitting the top of the rev band to make them go.

Audi S1
I think this post is stupid all these people who are saying "accident waiting to happen" are just sterotyping, Im 18 i own a 172.... I will happly admit i brought on the basics its cheap and a fast hatchback!

For all those people who own a clio 1*2 and disagree with him asking what cars can i beat or keep up with... why dont you go buy a 1.2 fiesta and eat some hubble pie..

Also when he ment ruffly it doesnt take a genius to work it out...I find it quite intresting to know whats faster than what...whats the competition....

Just watch top gear and dream

End off story.

GT86, 335, Westfield
Real world most things to 90 ish mph.

Focus... all models - Not the RS
subary wrx's - Never, especially if it's raining
civic typr R's - Doubt it.
leon cupra's... ect ect - Maybe

The things to watch out for are vag and bmw diesels that have been remap'd. Wrong gear and you've had it.
- This made me laugh...suggesting you never have to worry about M3's or anything as solw as that...True comment though.

Monaco Ph2 172
Things to note on 172s, they have crazy liftoff oversteer at 70+, meaning if you boot it round a fast corner, it will start drifting to the outside of the bend & if you lift off the accelerator it pulls in really really sharp & will proably scare you first time.

whaaaaaa? I have never felt the 172 oversteer round a bend like that - maybe I have never lifted! :p The Williams on the other hand.... ;)

...and I would reckon a Clio would keep up with a standard UK spec Scooby 'on the roads'. IME, they are not as quick as their reputation would have you believe.

172 FF

whaaaaaa? I have never felt the 172 oversteer round a bend like that - maybe I have never lifted! :p The Williams on the other hand.... ;)

...and I would reckon a Clio would keep up with a standard UK spec Scooby 'on the roads'. IME, they are not as quick as their reputation would have you believe.

Maybe you have been going fast enough round the corners yet then :p
It doesn't do it on sharp corners for me, only on the long bends where you would be doing 70mph+ which makes it all that more scary when it does happen.

MCS R56
I think this post is stupid all these people who are saying "accident waiting to happen" are just sterotyping, Im 18 i own a 172.... I will happly admit i brought on the basics its cheap and a fast hatchback!

For all those people who own a clio 1*2 and disagree with him asking what cars can i beat or keep up with... why dont you go buy a 1.2 fiesta and eat some hubble pie..

Also when he ment ruffly it doesnt take a genius to work it out...I find it quite intresting to know whats faster than what...whats the competition....

Just watch top gear and dream

End off story.

Sorry. It was his English that was poor. What is "hubble pie" btw?

C

Cupster

You will keep up with pretty much all 170hp/tonne cars i'm guessing! :clown:

Come on guys give the lad a break, ive lost count the amount of times ive read of stories on here about whos keeping up with who on their 'private' runway in the road driving stories section.

And lets be honest, it's something we all consider when deciding over what car to buy next, infact its not just considering its pretty high up the list of priorities.

Or am i to believe that you bought the clio because you loved the fact that everything rattles, that when doing more than 70mph the wind noise means you have to crank the stereo up, or the fact that the steering wheel decays in you're hand, exhausts rarely see out their warranty or just that it is a small hatchback synonomous with 'girly looking car', heck, you may even have bought it because Renault customer services are so great you love the repeated trips to the local dealer.

Despite all these things you still chose to buy one...why, because its a cheap fast car, which is basically the guys point so get off his back and give the guy some advice, we were all young once and dreamed of fast cars, those fortunate enough to be in the position to own one should lend their knowledge.

But no, this is cliosport so anyone in their teens who dares ask such questions and has a post count of less than 1,000 is automatically a chavvy boy racer.

For what its worth mate, buy a vag car and remap it, it wont rattle, and even a diesel not only keep up with but in most cases tear a standard 1*2 a new a**hole.

Despite what you will read on here, a renaultsport clio is not the best thing since internet p**n.

:clap:

Clio 1.2 (progress)
wow i asked a simple question.... lmfao i was expecting most people to say blah blah its a fast car or not... not a whole discussion lmao

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Re: remapped Vag diesels 'tearing them a new arse' from further back in the thread - what VAG diesel that costs the same as a 172, at a similiar age and mileage could be remapped to do that? Tearing them a new arse is presumably pulling away at a reasonable rate? I can't really think of any sub £5k (I'm been generous for a 172 I know) Vag TDis that will do that...

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
If your talking about my post where I said watch out for remaped vag or bm
diesels. My mate has a 02 plate 320d remaped. He paid 6k for it and I hate to say would eat a rs clio especially if your cought in the in the wrong gear.
Again remaped ibiza cupra derv's also go well.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Real world most things to 90 ish mph.

Focus... all models - Not the RS
subary wrx's - Never, especially if it's raining
civic typr R's - Doubt it.
leon cupra's... ect ect - Maybe

The things to watch out for are vag and bmw diesels that have been remap'd. Wrong gear and you've had it.
- This made me laugh...suggesting you never have to worry about M3's or anything as solw as that...True comment though.

Look at what 1/4 times the above cars run. Chris N Nics cup pissed all over Type R's and scoobys down the 1/4, vids were on here a while back.
I had a play with a RS Focus and I used to have slighty tuned 182. Feck all in it fella till 100 choc buttons.

As for racing M3's you'd have to be some sort of tool.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i remeber when some1 on here said they raced a skyline GT-R in their 172 and won lol that did make me chuckle:)

May have been mentioned already but a mapped and lightly fettled Ibiza Cupra R can be had for £5-6k, would destroy a 1*2, 270bhp is easily achievable.

ph1 172
Seriously dude. no car is worth it if u have to spend 2.5k just to insure it. that price along with the sheer stupid amounts of money u hav to pay when something goes wrong on it... just is not worth it.

id get a 1.4 or 1.6 untill ur abit older and the insurance is less then a grand.

i went from a 1.0polo to a 1.4 106xsi then my 172. my 106xsi felt rapid enough, but going from that to my 172 felt like something else. the difference from a 1.2 to the 172 will be quite dramatic.

obvsiously u get used to it, but ull probably ditch it before hand, then all that money insuring it plus the minimum of £500 (£250 voluntary, £250 involentary on most insurers) excess u hav to pay, and uv nearly paid for the car all over again.

Monaco Ph2 172
like the 106gti - light as f**k

lol yeah think it was like 935kg's

Its funny cause people said the vts was slightly quicker than the GTi, its the same f**king car

I remember that... the thing I got told is that the VTS had different management and the interior of the GTi made it slightly heavier.

However... virtually every Saxo you see has 'ripples' down the bodywork - whereas the Pugs don't.

lol u lot make me laugh how ur all like ooooooo u want to go fast tut tut boy racers... why the hell do you own 2ltr sport? TO GO QUICK!?! maybe lol!;).. so ruffly the 172 is not a bad overall car.. will keep up with civic type r's not bad.. i know for the money i could get alot faster.. but insurence is the issue lol the 172 is only 2.400 to insure so its not 2 bad lol where as scoobys are in the 4's for the people that said keep it to track it will be attending track sessions so this is another reason for wanting to know ruffly what it will keep up with.. only a question jesus lol

What the hell does 'ruffly' mean?

I have no idea what you just wrote.

When someone ask the question, "What can I keep up with?", it does present a picture in most peoples' mind that the person asking the question will be constantly up someone's backside, everywhere they drive. It's ammo for bragging rights and a boost to the ego, should some other twit in a hot hatch decide they want to race. Yes, people buy the Clio because it is quick but that doesn't mean racing every car that has been listed.

what on earth does the highlighted section mean...:S

could you kindly restructure it...

Mini Cooper S sport
I think the question you should be asking is "Why am I prepared to pay £2,400 to insure my car?" Madness!!

Just get a 1.4 and build up some no claims and road sense...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What the hell does 'ruffly' mean?

I have no idea what you just wrote.

When someone ask the question, "What can I keep up with?", it does present a picture in most peoples' mind that the person asking the question will be constantly up someone's backside, everywhere they drive. It's ammo for bragging rights and a boost to the ego, should some other twit in a hot hatch decide they want to race. Yes, people buy the Clio because it is quick but that doesn't mean racing every car that has been listed.

what on earth does the highlighted section mean...:S

could you kindly restructure it...

That highlighted section makes perfect sense to me :S

lol u lot make me laugh how ur all like ooooooo u want to go fast tut tut boy racers... why the hell do you own 2ltr sport? TO GO QUICK!?! maybe lol!;).. so ruffly the 172 is not a bad overall car.. will keep up with civic type r's not bad.. i know for the money i could get alot faster.. but insurence is the issue lol the 172 is only 2.400 to insure so its not 2 bad lol where as scoobys are in the 4's for the people that said keep it to track it will be attending track sessions so this is another reason for wanting to know ruffly what it will keep up with.. only a question jesus lol
:lolup: best thing i've read on here today really, 2.4k a year insurance wouldn't be so bad if the car cost say 50k. The fact that the insurance cost is likely to he half the value of the car is madness.

Do you really think that all 2.0 owners cain it about 24/7 ??? The answer is they don't.

No doubt, you'll get one, then we'll be greeted with a thread saying, I was having it against xyz car when I binned it, or I was out racing, got pulled. Or even, I now have a load of points on my licence from speeding.

I may be totally wrong in my assumptions here, but from reading what's in front of me, that's my guess on what will happen.

Stay safe out there & don't give it the beans all the time.

- oh yeah, it's roughly not ruffly.

a burnt one
Re: remapped Vag diesels 'tearing them a new arse' from further back in the thread - what VAG diesel that costs the same as a 172, at a similiar age and mileage could be remapped to do that? Tearing them a new arse is presumably pulling away at a reasonable rate? I can't really think of any sub £5k (I'm been generous for a 172 I know) Vag TDis that will do that...

Referring to me then,

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...ENAULT&model=CLIO&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...SWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Whats the point in comparing similar ages and mileage, its near impossible, a mega high mileage golf will still cost more than a newer, less mileage clio, theres a reason though:rasp:

Money wasnt mentioned in the OP's post so i think thats irrevelant. A remapped 150pd engine will see over 200bhp and as it already has more torque than a scooby turbo, or porsche boxter AS STANDARD then you are talking silly figures, a clio will have to be driven pretty damn hard to keep up, as for the new a**hole, winnings winning, does it matter if its an inch or a mile?

Fact is from a standing start, 0-100mph, a remapped golf (roughly £400) will pull multiple car lengths on a clio.

And dont even get me started on honda v-tecs, ever seen one blow an engine when trying to keep up with a mapped TDi at 128MPH on a private M8's runway?

Jap crap.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Referring to me then,

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...ENAULT&model=CLIO&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...SWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Whats the point in comparing similar ages and mileage, its near impossible, a mega high mileage golf will still cost more than a newer, less mileage clio, theres a reason though:rasp:

Well a lot of people don't want to buy very high mileage cars, plus remapped 115k+ TDi won't be long before wanting a clutch heh... But that's a minor point.

Money wasnt mentioned in the OP's post so i think thats irrevelant. A remapped 150pd engine will see over 200bhp and as it already has more torque than a scooby turbo, or porsche boxter AS STANDARD then you are talking silly figures, a clio will have to be driven pretty damn hard to keep up, as for the new a**hole, winnings winning, does it matter if its an inch or a mile?

He said what else could be maybe get for around the same money. And it matters because if it's very close, then it's just down to the driver. I don't think a PD150 in a Mk4 Golf will remap to 200bhp, more like 180-185 (Based on figures from AMD, Jabba, Revo, AwesomeGTI who use APR software).

Fact is from a standing start, 0-100mph, a remapped golf (roughly £400) will pull multiple car lengths on a clio.

I don't beleive that a modded Golf, with 10-15bhp more power than a stock Clio 172 would pull any car lengths on it from a standing start. Infact against a standard Clio Cup (which is in the same price bracket of the Golf+remap) I think the Golf would lose a few lengths. But as we weren't talking about Cups, I'll stick with 172s. Getting that heavy Golf off the line with all that torque on it's (assuming the linked one) 115k mile old clutch will be interesting for sure. In a straight line flat out drag from a standing start, power is far more important than torque, because both drivers will be ready and keeping them 'on the boil' so the Clio will be in it's power band.

And dont even get me started on honda v-tecs, ever seen one blow an engine when trying to keep up with a mapped TDi at 128MPH on a private M8's runway?

Jap crap.

I let one of the Jap fans take that, rather interesting comment.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Referring to me then,

Jap crap.

No but i bet he had fun trying V-TEC must not have kicked in YO :)

Clio 182.

I don't beleive that a modded Golf, with 10-15bhp more power than a stock Clio 172 would pull any car lengths on it from a standing start. Infact against a standard Clio Cup (which is in the same price bracket of the Golf+remap) I think the Golf would lose a few lengths. But as we weren't talking about Cups, I'll stick with 172s. Getting that heavy Golf off the line with all that torque on it's (assuming the linked one) 115k mile old clutch will be interesting for sure. In a straight line flat out drag from a standing start, power is far more important than torque, because both drivers will be ready and keeping them 'on the boil' so the Clio will be in it's power band.

TBH Gary, every post you made in this thread has been made while you were wearing VAG tinted glasses. Maybe you should take them off.

Not only would a remapped TDi NOT gain on a 172, it would probably stuggle to keep up. Especially if the cars in question were to hit any form of bend in the road. My brother has a live mapped Ibiza Cupra TDi, and its running a lot of power, but it still isnt fast. It just feels fast cos after the 3 second turbo lag, your head gets smashed into the headrest due to the phenominally bad power delivery.

Its all irrelavent anyway, because at the end of the day, golfs are hideous, they handle like boats, and the majority of them seem to be driven by unsavory characters.