ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 won't start, just a click

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Hi guys, my clio has been very reliable since I last picked it up from Renault. I went to and from work today no problem but tonight I tried to start it and it just clicks after ignition. Not a single light, no indication of any problem whatsoever. I did notice a bit of blue powder on my battery and I think the previous owner put a wrong battery in but it worked grey for the last 5 months... I thought that if the battery had a problem I would have no power at all. Is it possible that the blue powder thing is enough to stop it from starting but still have ignition?

Thanks.

Attachments

• VID_20211217_215408.mp4
    19.9 MB

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The starter is located at the back of the engine. Can just about see it between the middle two pipes of the exhaust manifold. Check if the spade connector is still connected as it can come loose. If all looks ok, then give the starter a tap with a hammer.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
The starter is located at the back of the engine. Can just about see it between the middle two pipes of the exhaust manifold. Check if the spade connector is still connected as it can come loose. If all looks ok, then give the starter a tap with a hammer.
Will do that tomorrow, dead tired right now. Thanks a lot man I appreciate the help

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It’s either the battery or starter. Check the battery voltage and make sure it’s properly connected and the terminals are clean. If that’s ok whack the starter with a hammer or a pole or something and try it again. Hopefully it’s the battery as the starter is an right t**t on to change

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
New earth strap for the starter motor. I had the exact same thing happen earlier this year.

Jack it up and remove the passenger side wheel and you can get to it there if you need to fit a new one.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Fitted a new battery and it started right up. While we're here, I wanted to keep the stock air box but the hoses are fucked. Any suggestions on similar hoses?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I noticed the battery light wasnt appearing pre ignition , is that a sign of a bad battery ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa