ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 oil leak / rough running / lack of power

Clio 182
Hello, just brought a beaten Clio 182 thats in some desperate need of some TLC (was purchased cheap as a project) this is my first Renault sport so got a few questions for all you experts.

first off obviously a huge oil leak that seems to have coated one side of the engine, looks like a its coming from the sump gasket but didn't think it would cause such a mess? anyone got any other ideas where it could be coming from to cause that much of a mess?

IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

Next problem is that the engine is running rough and seems to be lacking power I know these have a rough idle however this just doesn't seem right. Theres no lights on the dash, cambelt, depahaser, aux belt all done January 2015 approx 25k ago so popped off the camshaft seals to check the timing had it locked at TDC and the 'half moons' don't line up assuming this means the timing is out a little could this be the cause?

IMG_0697.jpg

checked the spark plugs and they seem to be the correct NGK ones also checked the HT leads and at the spark plug end the inside seems to be different on each one kinda like the white bits snapped away, anyone know what this is and if it will affect the running?

IMG_0703.jpg

dan's cast offs.
timing is a bit off, i'd be more concerned about the silicone on the cam cover and breather plate. pull the sump and check the oil pick up, probably bits of silicone in it.

Clio 182
timing is a bit off, i'd be more concerned about the silicone on the cam cover and breather plate. pull the sump and check the oil pick up, probably bits of silicone in it.

Good shout didn't even notice that! Guessing should be a gasket? Oil sump is coming off end of the week so will have a look, Cheers