ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clio 182 track day car project - advice please!

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
Hi everyone,
i’m new to Clio’s, just bought a stock 182 that I want transform to track day spec. Needs to be driven to/from track.
would love to hear recommendations / advice on :
Suspension / coil overs. I hear BC DS are great, any other opinions?
also, looking to strip out interior and upgrade brake pads, install bucket seats/harness and roll cage
I’ve bought a set of Team Dynamics wheels and ordered 888 tyres, and I’ve got a stock 182!
I’m not new to track days, just to Clio’s
any advice gratefully received 👍
Ta!
Steve

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Set a budget for each part. Theres always better. The BC DS series is a good solution for suspension £900.
you get the adjustable top mounts in with the package. I can help supply.
I run a relatively basic car (its not stripped or running a cage) but run Winmax W6 front pads and W4 rears (they need fog lights removed or cooling ducts)

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
Set a budget for each part. Theres always better. The BC DS series is a good solution for suspension £900.
you get the adjustable top mounts in with the package. I can help supply.
I run a relatively basic car (its not stripped or running a cage) but run Winmax W6 front pads and W4 rears (they need fog lights removed or cooling ducts)
Thanks - when you say you can supply, where from?! do you mean used or are you a supplier then?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I sell the BC Racing range (I run KAM Racing)

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
Ok got It! Any thoughts on seats/harness - nothing too expensive, just functional!? Do you supply?

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
I think my car is stock 182, but how do I measure bolt spacing to check this? Sorry, as I said VERY new to Clio land

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If you dont want to take a wheel off then turn the steering to full lock. You can lay down and reach behind the alloy and measure the height (centre to centre) of the two bolts that hold the damper to the hub

I do seats as well as side mounts.
For subframes I would get a set of Jon Foz Subframes.

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
If you dont want to take a wheel off then turn the steering to full lock. You can lay down and reach behind the alloy and measure the height (centre to centre) of the two bolts that hold the damper to the hub
Thanks Kev I’ll have a look 👍

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
762FD669-E9C8-4273-AA83-0D90F9F27127.jpeg

This is the car as it stands - not gonna stay like that for long though!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  182 + 330d
Looks good Steve, looks identical to how mine did 5 years ago. As long as its mechanically sound it might not be the worst idea to just take it onto track and see what it needs/what breaks and go from there, you don’t need to spend loads of these to enjoy them on track but a set of decent pads and tyres is a good start, followed closely by suspension/seats/steering wheel imo.

Whats your local track?

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
Looks good Steve, looks identical to how mine did 5 years ago. As long as its mechanically sound it might not be the worst idea to just take it onto track and see what it needs/what breaks and go from there, you don’t need to spend loads of these to enjoy them on track but a set of decent pads and tyres is a good start, followed closely by suspension/seats/steering wheel imo.

Whats your local track?
Brands Hatch, Ive done a few sessions there in my old car (Z4) and it had HSDs, EBC yellows and Yoko AD0Rs - really transformed it on track, so I though5 I’d just get it all done first. The suspension feels a bit tired anyway, so looking at the BC DS set up, any thoughts on that? I’ve got my tyres sorted 888s. What pads do you use?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  182 + 330d
Brands Hatch, Ive done a few sessions there in my old car (Z4) and it had HSDs, EBC yellows and Yoko AD0Rs - really transformed it on track, so I though5 I’d just get it all done first. The suspension feels a bit tired anyway, so looking at the BC DS set up, any thoughts on that? I’ve got my tyres sorted 888s. What pads do you use?

I love Brands although never done it in the Clio but would like to. I run BC Racing BR Series Coilovers with 7Kg front & 8Kg rear springs, I probably would have gone with the DS kit but it didn’t exist when I bought mine, ive had 0 issues with my kit and its more than good enough for my needs. I also drive to and from track, although it isn't particularly enjoyable experience. I run PBS front and rear pads, they are half decent, probably in the same sort of league as EBC Yellows although ive never tried the Yellows to compare so someone might be able to correct me on that.

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
I love Brands although never done it in the Clio but would like to. I run BC Racing BR Series Coilovers with 7Kg front & 8Kg rear springs, I probably would have gone with the DS kit but it didn’t exist when I bought mine, ive had 0 issues with my kit and its more than good enough for my needs. I also drive to and from track, although it isn't particularly enjoyable experience. I run PBS front and rear pads, they are half decent, probably in the same sort of league as EBC Yellows although ive never tried the Yellows to compare so someone might be able to correct me on that.
What’s your circuit? Thanks for your thoughts there mate 👍

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
If your going to be driving it to tracks don’t go mad with stripping it, I have left the front carpet in and headliner and it makes it a nicer place to be.
I used Gaz golds I’ve been pleased with them but run cooksport springs and new shocks for about 3 years and it handled really well.
Seats have a look at Bimarco futura they are a nice comfortable seat light and fia approved and cheap.

Stevetrackclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc E class
If your going to be driving it to tracks don’t go mad with stripping it, I have left the front carpet in and headliner and it makes it a nicer place to be.
I used Gaz golds I’ve been pleased with them but run cooksport springs and new shocks for about 3 years and it handled really well.
Seats have a look at Bimarco futura they are a nice comfortable seat light and fia approved and cheap.
Thanks that’s all good advice , cheers 👍