ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Upgrades

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
CLIO 182

So i'm new to this whole forum thing.

I'm getting a Clio 182. I want to make some upgrades, I'm not too fussed about power I want to play to its strengths.
Anyone have any suggestions for anything? Tires and wheels. Performance parts, places to look etc

I want to put a Clio 200 steering wheel in it and change the gear stick so if anyone knows how to do either of those i would appreciate it.

Kind regards

Welcome (y) You will find that both the steering wheel and gearstick have been covered in other threads a few times before. I tend to use google search to find results for this site as you can browse pictures as well which will take you to the original threads.

Regarding upgrades, it depends on what you want to use the car for. Even if its for track some people will say 'Just drive the thing', obviously dont listen to these people. In stock form I found the car underwhelming, didnt inspire much confidence at all. There are again quite a few threads with what mods/upgrades to do. But I think making sure the car is healthy is the priority, depending on mileage, rack bushes, inner and outer tie rods, gearbox oil, coolant, brake fluid if they havent been done already is a good shout and parts arnt expensive.

If you want any brake related parts then @George@RTR_Parts is the man
@Kev@KAM for any advice on parts from https://www.kamracing.co.uk/
And if you sign up to be a member you will get access to the parts for sale and wanted threads. You'l probably find a lot of the parts you want, someone is selling them right now.

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
WOW thank you so much for all this ! Great advice. The Clio I’m looking at has 75k but seems very genuine £3750 but worth it I believe full service history and 3 cam belt chances to help verify mileage.
This will be my 3rd car and I’m still pretty young so will have plenty of power for me I would like to turbo charge the engine in the very distant future do you think this is actually viable ? Or worth spending the money on a new car ?
I will look around for other threads still just confused how it all works

No problem mate. I would say that if its clean then that seems to be about right @imprezaworks knows prices well. Put up a link of it here if you want?

Turbo seems to be the most viable way to increase power and If done right you shouldnt have any problems, engine wise that is, the gearbox will s**t itself over time though :ROFLMAO: Me personally Id spend a bit less on the car if I was going to turbo it but Im not too fussed on if the cars clean or not, I wish mine was clean though lol
I think when you drive the car you will be able to answer if its worth it or not, I think it is. Theres a lot to be had with the clios and they're heaps of fun when put together well.

Clio 172 Cup
Welcome to the forum mate, loads of good lads on here. Check your history and that belts are up to date look at suspension, brakes bushes ect first and a good service. A filter exhaust and remap are Efi will see an improvement in drivability and slight increase in power depending on engine condition and timing ect. This will be plenty enough power and fun rather than splashing out on a turbo and won’t cripple ur insurance. Plus on a low mileage example it’s a shame to spoil it. Just refresh what you need to and keep it clean 👍

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Whats the car, year, Colour etc.

Prices seem on the up for nice cars. Plenty of not so tidy ones.

Turbo. Mmm, not sure really. There's not many positive reports but then you only hear mostly negative stories.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
If going on track. Upgrade to high temperature/ track pads and new brake fluid. New PAS fluid. They will give you confidence on track.

If going on track. Upgrade to high temperature/ track pads and new brake fluid. New PAS fluid. They will give you confidence on track.

would you suggest just refreshing with fresh elf pas fluid or using an uprated fluid?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I would recommend driving it and enjoying it as is then seeing what needs changing. One of the best mods I did to mine was a powerflex dog bone mount insert (lower gearbox Mount).

monaco 172
As for the gear stick, pure Motorsport or a modded scenic shifter with a yanoo stiff shift are the only options worth bothering with imo.

Not sure a 197 wheel is a direct fit without a lot of messing about but it has been done.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
would you suggest just refreshing with fresh elf pas fluid or using an uprated fluid?
Fresh is what its about. Like for like replacement is worth getting done. Personally I refresh all vehicle fluids when I buy a car. Gearbox, engine, brakes etc.
Get it running tip top before its driven hard.

Id get some good brake fluid that will cope with high track temps. Then some pads to do the same.
You then should run the car and find out what you like and dislike when driven hard - base your modifications from there.
We do a reward point scheme for customers which saves them a lot when doing lots of brake and suspension modifications or even just regular maintenance.
Www.kamracing.co.uk

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
No problem mate. I would say that if its clean then that seems to be about right @imprezaworks knows prices well. Put up a link of it here if you want?

Turbo seems to be the most viable way to increase power and If done right you shouldnt have any problems, engine wise that is, the gearbox will s**t itself over time though :ROFLMAO: Me personally Id spend a bit less on the car if I was going to turbo it but Im not too fussed on if the cars clean or not, I wish mine was clean though lol
I think when you drive the car you will be able to answer if its worth it or not, I think it is. Theres a lot to be had with the clios and they're heaps of fun when put together well.
Yeah i'm very excited should be getting it next friday, want to wrap it in liquid yellow as it is impossible to find a standard yellow one... did they even make them in yellow or are they just paint jobs.
In terms of condition i've been searching for awhile so its nice to find one that's actually been kept well managed to haggle him down to £3550 so will be good fun driving that.
I would turbo at some point but i think id have to do so much t o get it to handle the power?

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Welcome to the forum mate, loads of good lads on here. Check your history and that belts are up to date look at suspension, brakes bushes ect first and a good service. A filter exhaust and remap are Efi will see an improvement in drivability and slight increase in power depending on engine condition and timing ect. This will be plenty enough power and fun rather than splashing out on a turbo and won’t cripple ur insurance. Plus on a low mileage example it’s a shame to spoil it. Just refresh what you need to and keep it clean 👍
I didn't really want to turbo it but i've heard remaps don't do much will they increase the low range power band significantly ?

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I would recommend driving it and enjoying it as is then seeing what needs changing. One of the best mods I did to mine was a powerflex dog bone mount insert (lower gearbox Mount).
Why did you find this so successful ?

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As for the gear stick, pure Motorsport or a modded scenic shifter with a yanoo stiff shift are the only options worth bothering with imo.

Not sure a 197 wheel is a direct fit without a lot of messing about but it has been done.
Oh good to know, as i think we can all agree the gear sticks in the clio's are ugly af. I just wanted to keep it looking standard but still having a good wheel is key

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fresh is what its about. Like for like replacement is worth getting done. Personally I refresh all vehicle fluids when I buy a car. Gearbox, engine, brakes etc.
Get it running tip top before its driven hard.

Id get some good brake fluid that will cope with high track temps. Then some pads to do the same.
You then should run the car and find out what you like and dislike when driven hard - base your modifications from there.
We do a reward point scheme for customers which saves them a lot when doing lots of brake and suspension modifications or even just regular maintenance.
Www.kamracing.co.uk
how much does a full replacement of all the fluids cost?

Clio 172 Cup
The remap is all dependent on the engine condition and how the timing is set up , it’s never gonna be big power gains like a remap on a turbo car but mine achieved 190bhp with just an exhaust sports cat and filter. The low down torque is much better and the power delivery is smooth. It helps smooth out cold starting too

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Buy the best condition/history car you can irrespective of mileage, drive it and enjoy it.
Forget asking about mods until you've actually driven the thing and decided what "you" feel needs improving. For the most part it will be refreshing bushes, fluids, tyres and brakes.

Only you will know what you feel is worth doing for your needs, and do your research on all of the mods. As i promise you, many of them may make the car slightly better in one respect and significantly worse in others. Its the latter bit that very few will admit to.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The remap is all dependent on the engine condition and how the timing is set up , it’s never gonna be big power gains like a remap on a turbo car but mine achieved 190bhp with just an exhaust sports cat and filter. The low down torque is much better and the power delivery is smooth. It helps smooth out cold starting too
Yeah i know its hard to get big gains, you haven't got boost to play with and cold air is ls less important making inter-coolers and intakes less effective. But good to know there is still an improvement and you notice a difference. How much did you pay?

Bevo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Buy the best condition/history car you can irrespective of mileage, drive it and enjoy it.
Forget asking about mods until you've actually driven the thing and decided what "you" feel needs improving. For the most part it will be refreshing bushes, fluids, tyres and brakes.

Only you will know what you feel is worth doing for your needs, and do your research on all of the mods. As i promise you, many of them may make the car slightly better in one respect and significantly worse in others. Its the latter bit that very few will admit to.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.
Simple, I like it

Clio 172 Cup
I have had a few maps going through various stages of doing the car I think was around 120 pound and was done live on the rollers the guy Chris who mapped it has a good rep with renaults and is a genuinely nice guy