ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 vs x85 cup racer question

Clio 220 PH2
@Ben NBR Cup go from trackdays to racing? its what im thinking for '18
Erm yes and no I would love to and I don't think the car would be too far off race spec it will need the electric cut offs proper fire extinguisher plumbed in. I know this sounds silly but I wouldn't want the car to get damaged or written off from a racing incident and I do race my go kart so I do a bit.
Maybe one day :)
Sounds good mate what championship you thinking ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Erm yes and no I would love to and I don't think the car would be too far off race spec it will need the electric cut offs proper fire extinguisher plumbed in. I know this sounds silly but I wouldn't want the car to get damaged or written off from a racing incident and I do race my go kart so I do a bit.
Maybe one day :smile:
Sounds good mate what championship you thinking ?

Tricolore Production Plus probably. Your car would be spot on for that wouldnt it its pretty much free mods but standard engine? (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Got a mate who runs in class A i think and says its the nuts.

Clio 220 PH2
Tricolore Production Plus probably. Your car would be spot on for that wouldnt it its pretty much free mods but standard engine? (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Got a mate who runs in class A i think and says its the nuts.
I have looked at that championship looks really good I do fancy it mate and I don't think it's too bad cost wise either is it ?
I want to go and see some of the races next year have a chat with a few people get some more info :)

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I have looked at that championship looks really good I do fancy it mate and I don't think it's too bad cost wise either is it ?
I want to go and see some of the races next year have a chat with a few people get some more info :smile:

300 and something a weekend, plus your licence from msa, and need the full racesuit and all that. (entry level cost 😂)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I imagine the Sadev gearbox being the biggest difference, coupled with slicks that's where the lap times are the quicker. Obviously a few ingredients like chassis, 4 pots, rollcage, suspension play their part making the Cup racer but imagine the Sadev making the single most difference to that car.

16v UK Cup Race Car
I can't help with real-world experience of tracking an X85 Cup car, but the below may help regarding the differences between a 172/182 and a 197:

I tracked a fully prepared 172 for a year and now track my road-going 197 Cup, which was bog standard for the past 3 years until 2 weeks ago when it had coilovers (Bilstein B14's) installed, along with solid adjustable top mounts plus a proper/full geo setup. Still has its full interior, seats, carpets etc.

Despite it being very lardy compared to my 8 mates who all have 172/182s (all very well/fully prepared), it keeps up with them over an entire lap.

1. The 197 has a little more power - but this is offset by it being a much heavier car (something like 200kgs heavier - that's like having 2.5 of your mates get in the car with you - it makes a HUGE difference). There is a noticeable difference difference in acceleration/pick-up, and the slower the corner is, the more noticeable the difference is compared to lighter 172/182s.

2. The 197 however is noticeably quicker through faster, sweeping corners. A someone else on this thread said, the suspension design and geometry is more modern and Renault did a great job of making it fly quicker through the twisties.

When you put 1 and 2 (above) together, what you get is a car that is slower accelerating but better handling than a 172/182. My car struggles to stay with the very fastest of my mates in their 172/182s in the slower stuff and when pulling away from slow corners onto straights, but I am clawing all over them through faster bends, chicanes etc. So overall, the lap times are very, very similar.

In conclusion, I loved both cars - they were the same but very different (if that makes sense). The 172/182 cars are more raw, the 197s (and 200s) better handling, better steering and a little more refined. I loved them both, and in an ideal world would still have one of each!