ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 vs x85 cup racer question

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
May sound a stupid question but interested it what people think. I have a 182 track car at the moment which is pretty well speced but I know how to make it faster with what parts and how much it would cost and it would bring me very close to a cup racer x85 money. Will a very well speced Clio 182 on slicks keep up with a x85 racer ? I know the x85 has more power but my Clio would be lighter so would it make up for it in the corners. Also trying to persuade my dad to get a cup racer for himself lol
Just interested it what people think I built my Clio with mates so it's very special to me and it would be hard to sell but I have a real desire for a cup racer in the future just thinking wether the money is better put towards a cup racer.
I do like making a car which should not be super fast go fast that's why I keep thinking about keeping mine instead of a cup racer.
Sorry for the waffling lol
Many thanks
Ben

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I can answer this question very easily for you, and the answer is, not a chance. The x85 cup racers really are in a different league.

The biggest issue you'll have is finding an x85 that's not been hammered.

@BIGASH has an x85 cup racer and used to own a 182 race car. Hopefully he will share his experiences in here, but I anticipate his words will be the same as mine tbh.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
From personal experience at Harewood Hillclimb
my Clio is quick for a mk2 and does 68 second runs
very fastest road going record holding car is a 205 doing 66.66
Cup Racer did an easy 62

Clio 220 PH2
I can answer this question very easily for you, and the answer is, not a chance. The x85 cup racers really are in a different league.

The biggest issue you'll have is finding an x85 that's not been hammered.

@BIGASH has an x85 cup racer and used to own a 182 race car. Hopefully he will share his experiences in here, but I anticipate his words will be the same as mine tbh.
I thought this would be the case mate I wasn't sure if the gap was as large as it is. I have watched a few videos and they are real machines and they sound great and the turn in :0
I have seen how they were driven in the Clio cup and they get a few bumps and scrapes
Would be interesting to see what he thinks

As Mark say the X85's are on a different planet to homebuilt 182 race cars I chucked plenty of money at mine and still never went as well as my cup race car and I don't even run the racer on slicks most of the time!

The chassis on the x85 is much better with the front end geo and technology being far superior to the 182.

I still occasionally miss my 182 as I put a lot of work into building, upgrading and running it but my bank account doesn't at all! If I wanted to go faster than the cup racer I would just buy a ginetta/seat supa copa but in all honesty a well driven cup racer still catches up with pretty much most cars on Trackdays and some at alarming pace so I'm happy with what I've got for now :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I thought this would be the case mate I wasn't sure if the gap was as large as it is. I have watched a few videos and they are real machines and they sound great and the turn in :0
I have seen how they were driven in the Clio cup and they get a few bumps and scrapes
Would be interesting to see what he thinks
Having gone from a sorted 172 cup to what's essentially a standard 200, even they have better turn in mate! I'll be fitting some mpsc's to mine in the future to exploit that further.

Clio 220 PH2
As Mark say the X85's are on a different planet to homebuilt 182 race cars I chucked plenty of money at mine and still never went as well as my cup race car and I don't even run the racer on slicks most of the time!

The chassis on the x85 is much better with the front end geo and technology being far superior to the 182.

I still occasionally miss my 182 as I put a lot of work into building, upgrading and running it but my bank account doesn't at all! If I wanted to go faster than the cup racer I would just buy a ginetta/seat supa copa but in all honesty a well driven cup racer still catches up with pretty much most cars on Trackdays and some at alarming pace so I'm happy with what I've got for now :smile:
I have watched your thread on your 182 build and I completely understand what you mean about costs and time. I have spent a lot on mine and I feel that spending a lot more money to not make masses of gains.
Well the 182 is nearly 12 years old now chassis development has come on leaps and bounds
Haha my bank account is loving it at the minute because I have slowed the modification down for Christmas
Where would be good places be to look for a good x85 racer ?

Clio 220 PH2
From personal experience at Harewood Hillclimb
my Clio is quick for a mk2 and does 68 second runs
very fastest road going record holding car is a 205 doing 66.66
Cup Racer did an easy 62
Wow that's a big gap I thought it would be a few seconds not that much

Clio 220 PH2
Having gone from a sorted 172 cup to what's essentially a standard 200, even they have better turn in mate! I'll be fitting some mpsc's to mine in the future to exploit that further.
I find this really interesting how much difference the two cars are. I have been told in the past the 200 cup was the best Clio made

Clio 220 PH2
Thank you everyone for the comments it's really interesting for me to learn these things about the two cars :) Got me thinking on what to do next

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Is the 200 ahead by much over the 172 in terms on handling etc. It's another car that tempts me

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I find this really interesting how much difference the two cars are. I have been told in the past the 200 cup was the best Clio made
Well mines an FF with cup chassis. It's also lowered on h&r springs, and the handling is phenomenal tbh from standard dampers and lowering springs. Doing a track day or ring trip in my 200 is something I'm looking forward to. Because I've got creature comforts like a/c! Lol

Clio 220 PH2
Well mines an FF with cup chassis. It's also lowered on h&r springs, and the handling is phenomenal tbh from standard dampers and lowering springs. Doing a track day or ring trip in my 200 is something I'm looking forward to. Because I've got creature comforts like a/c! Lol
I would like to have a go in one (200) I love your cup mate if I could have one it would be the car you have
I must admit air con and a full interior and still go faster nice work lol
What about a road legal cup racer something a bit different not that it would ever be road legal and pass an MOT

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I would like to have a go in one (200) I love your cup mate if I could have one it would be the car you have
I must admit air con and a full interior and still go faster nice work lol
What about a road legal cup racer something a bit different not that it would ever be road legal and pass an MOT
The cup racer suspension would shatter your spine mate!