ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Water Leak - Very Wet Carpet

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Hi guys. I've had the problem of wet drivers side carpets for most of the year now. Every time it happens the sills are full of water and you can hear it sloshing around when driving. It turned out that the drainage holes were blocked. I've had to push a small screwdriver in the holes to let the water pour out. This has happened a few times this year so far and it seems to be happening when car is parked (level not on a slope) + heavy rain. Carpets are soaking and you can see the water coming out when you step on the carpet.
I've tried the following so far:

- scuttle drains driver/passenger/middle (rubber tube is fine and allowing water to drain). Confirmed all unblocked.
- removed 2 nuts for drivers seat (other 2 were too stiff to remove...) which allowed me to pull up carpet front and rear and dry out the areas.
- my wife then poured water over the outside of the car but I couldn't see any sign of water entering the car.

I've read so many posts, but I don't know what to check next? Any help will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Hi guys. I've had the problem of wet drivers side carpets for most of the year now. Every time it happens the sills are full of water and you can hear it sloshing around when driving. It turned out that the drainage holes were blocked. I've had to push a small screwdriver in the holes to let the water pour out. This has happened a few times this year so far and it seems to be happening when car is parked (level not on a slope) + heavy rain. Carpets are soaking and you can see the water coming out when you step on the carpet.
I've tried the following so far:

- scuttle drains driver/passenger/middle (rubber tube is fine and allowing water to drain). Confirmed all unblocked.
- removed 2 nuts for drivers seat (other 2 were too stiff to remove...) which allowed me to pull up carpet front and rear and dry out the areas.
- my wife then poured water over the outside of the car but I couldn't see any sign of water entering the car.

I've read so many posts, but I don't know what to check next? Any help will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Any ideas guys?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is your boot carpet wet ? The bump stop bungs will leak and fill the spare wheel well over time. As you haven't got a wheel well it could be coming forward...

Even if that's not wet - Open the bootlid and you'll see two 20mm circular bungs. Take them out (carefully pinch from inside) and then clean the bodywork and the bung underside. Silicone or tiger seal around the hole and put them back in. Job jobbed !

Then only real way to do it is take the trim out and see where it's coming in during a rain shower or a decent hosing.. but appreciate that's rather drastic...!

Have you checked the front drains are all doing their job ? It does suggest front end if the front footwell is soggy.

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
The bungs were leaking on my 182, The flat boot floor allowed the water to flow forward. As above sealed them and all ok now.
Is your boot carpet wet ? The bump stop bungs will leak and fill the spare wheel well over time. As you haven't got a wheel well it could be coming forward...

Even if that's not wet - Open the bootlid and you'll see two 20mm circular bungs. Take them out (carefully pinch from inside) and then clean the bodywork and the bung underside. Silicone or tiger seal around the hole and put them back in. Job jobbed !

Then only real way to do it is take the trim out and see where it's coming in during a rain shower or a decent hosing.. but appreciate that's rather drastic...!

Have you checked the front drains are all doing their job ? It does suggest front end if the front footwell is soggy.
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately the boot and under the rear seats are bone dry. I've also checked the front scuttle drainage holes at both corners and water is flowing from the pipe at the mid point of the scuttle.
Plan is to keep the car parked up in the drive with carpets still up for the next few days and use a different car.
Any other ideas very welcome!!

PH2 172
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately the boot and under the rear seats are bone dry. I've also checked the front scuttle drainage holes at both corners and water is flowing from the pipe at the mid point of the scuttle.
Plan is to keep the car parked up in the drive with carpets still up for the next few days and use a different car.
Any other ideas very welcome!!
The ducting for the pollen filter has to get into the cabin somewhere, and presumably requires an exterior seal.
Just a guess.

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
J
Under the scuttle cover on the UK drivers side.
Just a thought... would a damaged front jacking point on the sill (just behind front arch) cause any issue? Bearing in mind it's been damaged for years now but leaking just started this year...

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Been raining on and off for two days and still not a drop of water to be seen. I've also sprayed water from under the car and no water... I noticed that only one out of the 3 drain holes seem to be draining water from the sill though... could this be the problem?

Mec 350 slk manual
Been raining on and off for two days and still not a drop of water to be seen. I've also sprayed water from under the car and no water... I noticed that only one out of the 3 drain holes seem to be draining water from the sill though... could this be the problem?
Have someone soak the front screen with a hose pipe and you check inside

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Yeah tried that but can't see any water coming in
The car has been sitting for almost a week now with the carpets pulled up and still no sign of water coming in. Previously when the carpets have been soaking wet, the water has been sloshing around inside the sill on the drivers side. I have a few questions...

1). How does the water manage to find its way into the sill?
2). Is water meant to get into the sill?
3). How does the water get from the sill into the drivers side front and rear foot wells?

Thanks
Ross.

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
The car has been sitting for almost a week now with the carpets pulled up and still no sign of water coming in. Previously when the carpets have been soaking wet, the water has been sloshing around inside the sill on the drivers side. I have a few questions...

1). How does the water manage to find its way into the sill?
2). Is water meant to get into the sill?
3). How does the water get from the sill into the drivers side front and rear foot wells?

Thanks
Ross.
Can someone answer the above questions please? Cheers!

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Nice one. Was it damaged or just squished and not sealing fully? £57 doesn't seem that bad.
That's a good question... I can't see any damage whatsoever, but the water is definitely coming in at the door seal directly above where the plastic flap covers the VIN number. Maybe it is because it's just old and squished!

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
That's a good question... I can't see any damage whatsoever, but the water is definitely coming in at the door seal directly above where the plastic flap covers the VIN number. Maybe it is because it's just old and squished!
Thought I'd post to fully close this one out. Purchased and fitted a new door seal from Renault. Sorted!