ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, and would just like a bit of advice on the Clio 182.

I have found a VERY clean example, (although it is a bit expensive...) and I have had a quick look around it and it seems to be in great nick, you could even eat you dinner off the engine bay!!!

I just wanted to know if there was anything in particular I should look out for in terms of faults or problems, it has 34k on it and a FRSH last serviced 2k ago.

The only thing i noticed in the test drive was the clutch was quick stiff compared to my Colt CZT and a number or other cars I have driven, is this normal?-- it did feel a bit like the racing clutch in my friends starlet...

many thanks
Adam

All Clios have quite a stiff clutch mate, it's normal! How much is the one you've found?

Its 2005 model and is £7k, but I have been offered a good trade in so its not that bad.

Thats cool, I thought it might have been normal but wanted to check as they are expensive pieces of kit to replace :)

If it's on 34k it'll need the aux belt doing in the next 2000 miles, as it's 36k.

how much does that normally work out at and is it a big job?

Yeah I think it does have the cup pack although it doesnt say... if you enter bt28 3bz as your postcode in autotrader its the blue 182

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There's 2 cup packs fella. I'd want both. As said, the belts will need doing within a year, £500ish.

There's 2 cup packs fella. I'd want both. As said, the belts will need doing within a year, £500ish.

Mmmm £500 is quite a bit... is that from a Renault garage?
I take it its mostly labour that your paying for at about £70ish an hour?

thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming :)

I hope you're getting a really good trade in dude, because that's at least a grand too much. Plus the belt cost.

Have a look around, there's plenty of them for sale..

330Ci Clubsport
if you are getting him to do the cambelt make sure he does the pullies and all too rather than slap a belt in and send it out.

Im guessing youre in NI by that postcode? Probably slim pickings!

Yeah Pabs, slim pickings indeed :( struggling to sell the Colt on my own because they aren't so popular despite being cracking wee motors for the money! so no choice really but to go to a dealer...

trade in is pretty good compared to what I paid for the car a year ago :)

I will go down and see him next week about the 182 I reckon and try to get the belts done as well....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
check for the exhaust system blowing around the centre section and backbox.
leaking rear dampers can be identified by oil and grit all over them.
snapped coil springs
rear disks are pricey so check if they need done, most ive ever seen do!!
again belts is a good bargaining point.
you might find the steeringwheel will look melted and the thumb grips torn, this is normal, some do it some dont, they are about £200+ for a new wheel
leaking headlight washer jets also common fault

if it has the dark anthracite wheels then it has the cup suspension pack, search it on here for details
if it has the higher rear spoiler with red brake light it has the cup spoiler package, if it has this is should have a black splitter on the front bumper although some get smashed off or just wernt fitted by the dealer when new (they came in the car)

check for the exhaust system blowing around the centre section and backbox.
leaking rear dampers can be identified by oil and grit all over them.
snapped coil springs
rear disks are pricey so check if they need done, most ive ever seen do!!
again belts is a good bargaining point.
you might find the steeringwheel will look melted and the thumb grips torn, this is normal, some do it some dont, they are about £200+ for a new wheel
leaking headlight washer jets also common fault

if it has the dark anthracite wheels then it has the cup suspension pack, search it on here for details
if it has the higher rear spoiler with red brake light it has the cup spoiler package, if it has this is should have a black splitter on the front bumper although some get smashed off or just wernt fitted by the dealer when new (they came in the car)

Cheers mate :) the fella agreed to put a new wheel on it straight away :)
I think it has the cup suspension pack by the sound of things... gonna give him a bell in the morning and see if he will do the belts, if so hes got himself a deal :)

Altho I now have a guy talking to me about a clio 172 with 23k on it as a p/x for the Colt.... (he just had the belts etc done on his clio...)

Once again guys thanks for the advice :) mucho handy!!

he has decided he didnt want the colt and just wants cash lol...
he bought it last week in the trader for £4400 and is askin £5100 for it, cheeky lol

None
My 182 has done the same mileage and mine has had to go back under warranty for a couple of things, first off the brakes went spongy on me the other day, the garage said it was most likely the fluid boiling due to overheating and creating air bubbles in the system, secondly the air con packed up on me two days before and if you don't have a warranty then it will cost a fair bit for an expert to put right. other than though i can't fault it, oh and maybe the exhaust rust thing as others have mentioned on here too :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
he bought it last week in the trader for £4400 and is askin £5100 for it, cheeky lol

id walk away if hes selling within a week of buying lol, howerver i will say personally id just get a 172 rather than a 182, 182 you get fancy colours, if your not into modifying then the 182 is the better car "out the box" but if you have plans on changing springs etc then i wouldnt bother with the extra.

only downfall on the 172 is the springs are a bit soft compaired to the 182 but they still handle awesome

My 182 has done the same mileage and mine has had to go back under warranty for a couple of things, first off the brakes went spongy on me the other day, the garage said it was most likely the fluid boiling due to overheating and creating air bubbles in the system, secondly the air con packed up on me two days before and if you don't have a warranty then it will cost a fair bit for an expert to put right. other than though i can't fault it, oh and maybe the exhaust rust thing as others have mentioned on here too :)

mmmm well with any 2nd hand car I suppose you do buy a risk... air con was running great on the test drive (and if it packed in I reckon i could live without it, i prefer the window open and the exhaust note :)

the guy is selling it on for a profit just...
In terms of mods i dont recon there would be much.... if i end up keeping it for more than a year i would:

Get a decent induction kit
Uprate the speakers and head unit
few c/f goodies :p
maybe lower it and look at an exhaust...

But apart from that plans are to keep her standard :)

Too much money imo. The price he paid is (imo) top end money, for that i'd be wanting minty mint example.

Getting rid of a car only a week into ownership is really odd, i'd be very very wary of it.

yeah I suppose... its really only a back up plan if I cant get a decent deal sorted on the 182... its such a nice motor :)

nah the fella I was talking to was the sales manager.... said he would change it but would only do the AUX belt... not that worried though, should be giving a deposite on it tonight all being well :)