ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 New clutch without gearbox

Clio 182
Hi all,

I have recently bought off of my parents a nice 07 Clio 197 low mileage, loads of history and it's had a very easy life mainly used by my mother to drive to Asda.

One thing that is irking me though is an issue where above 6k rpm it's hard to change gear, it blocks and you really have to work the synco to get it go into the next gear.

Other than this issue above 6k rpm the box is absolutely fine, it has never once crunched into any gear and the gears are really easy and smooth at lower rpms.

This is leading me to believe that my issue is not gearbox syncros like most stuff I've read would have me believe, but actually a dragging clutch and I'm worried that this could actually cause the syncros to fail soon if I don't get it sorted.

I have tried changing the gearbox oil and bleeding the clutch which hasn't made any difference.

I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that if I drop the gearbox and change the clutch and slave that I'm not wasting my time putting the same gearbox back in, and that my issue will be sorted, what are peoples thoughts?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi all,

I have recently bought off of my parents a nice 07 Clio 197 low mileage, loads of history and it's had a very easy life mainly used by my mother to drive to Asda.

One thing that is irking me though is an issue where above 6k rpm it's hard to change gear, it blocks and you really have to work the synco to get it go into the next gear.

Other than this issue above 6k rpm the box is absolutely fine, it has never once crunched into any gear and the gears are really easy and smooth at lower rpms.

This is leading me to believe that my issue is not gearbox syncros like most stuff I've read would have me believe, but actually a dragging clutch and I'm worried that this could actually cause the syncros to fail soon if I don't get it sorted.

I have tried changing the gearbox oil and bleeding the clutch which hasn't made any difference.

I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that if I drop the gearbox and change the clutch and slave that I'm not wasting my time putting the same gearbox back in, and that my issue will be sorted, what are peoples thoughts?
Which gears are you struggling to select? All or a few?

Clio 182
I would say it's affecting all gears, certainly blocks going into 2nd, 3rd and 4th but for obvious reasons I don't have much experience of over 6krpm in 4th on the road!

Clio 182
Hmm okay, thanks for the re-assurance, I think I will take the gamble and do the clutch and stick the gearbox back in and hope it's sorted.