ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 1.2 16v weird noise

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
Hello guys!
I bought a 2001 clio 1.2 16v last week, and since then i've been noticing 3 problems. I need to change a cv axle, and the valve cover gasket that is leaking to the heatshield burning oil,
And there's the weird noise. It's like a crackling sound, it comes from the left side of the engine and its getting worse (when i got it, it started at about 1,5k rpm the noise, and noise at 1k) and im afraid that it's just not a annoying sound, but something serious. Here's the videos of the sound:

Any help would be apprecitated!

Thanks!

182 clio
Hello guys!
I bought a 2001 clio 1.2 16v last week, and since then i've been noticing 3 problems. I need to change a cv axle, and the valve cover gasket that is leaking to the heatshield burning oil,
And there's the weird noise. It's like a crackling sound, it comes from the left side of the engine and its getting worse (when i got it, it started at about 1,5k rpm the noise, and noise at 1k) and im afraid that it's just not a annoying sound, but something serious. Here's the videos of the sound:

Any help would be apprecitated!

Thanks!

check power steering fluid

182 clio
Sorry never owned a 1.2
Sounded like mines when my power steering pump was leaking.
I thought it might be worth a try and cheap to top up.

From your video it sounded more at front o/s. Is that the case? Or is the sound the same everywhere?

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
Sorry never owned a 1.2
Sounded like mines when my power steering pump was leaking.
I thought it might be worth a try and cheap to top up.

From your video it sounded more at front o/s. Is that the case? Or is the sound the same everywhere?
The sound is comming from the left side. I'm afraid it might be the timing belt giving out and i wanted opinions before checking a mechanic

182 clio
Take it there is no proof of t/belt change lately?
Does it have ac? As it could be ac compressor.
Also could be alternator.
If your not able to check any these I'd get someone to look over it who does for peace of mind

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
Take it there is no proof of t/belt change lately?
Does it have ac? As it could be ac compressor.
Also could be alternator.
If your not able to check any these I'd get someone to look over it who does for peace of mind
The timing belt is due to a change, it has like 80k on it. How do i check if its the ac or the alternator?

182 clio
I'd be getting the t/belt done regardless as the have a life span in years aswell.
So if it's never been changed it will definitely have to be done.
An engine and fitting can be costly.

182 clio
My guesses it's the alternator you are referring to as it looks as tho your ac is at top then the bottom would be crankshaft pulley. In between these you may have idlers and a tensioner. In some cases the tension will be created by the alternator tensioner bracket. Do a search on how to change aux belt and if you are confident your able to complete the task take off your aux belt and start the car this will then eliminate these components if noise still persists.
? for you.