ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 ph2 K4J - ODB connection issue

Clio 2 PH 2 K4j
Hello

I'd like to ask for some tips investigating a problem concerning link establishing to car's ECU via ODB in 2002 Clio 2 phase 2 K4J with Sirius 34 ECU (EOBD compliant).

For a month or so, since buying interface, i've been using an ELM327 bluetooth interface with Torque app quite a lot (while driving mostly) without any issues and one day, out of a sudden, it stopped working stating that it is unable to establish connection to ECU. There is no problem establishing BT link between handheld and ELM, it works fine. I checked the ELM on another car (for sever times to be sure) and it worked fine, as it used to on my drive.

On that day when things broke, i got into the car, plugged the ELM into OBD slot and after many retries Torque was still complaining about not being able to chat with ECU. So i disconnected it and set off for drive. After couple of minutes i stopped, repeated the procedure and while stationary the connection worked, unfortunately only to the point i started engine, then connection was gone and any further retries to connect since then failed. I'm not sure if it's of any significance to my particular problem but I recall a few situations where interface lost connection to ECU, while driving, but managed to reconnect instantly so I assumed it's just how it works and didnt' bother.

What I have already done to debug:
+disconnected battery and even ECU connector for several hours
+checked ODB port and ECU connector PINs - seemed ok
+measured voltage on OBD 4 and 16 pins - correct (12.6V on shut off engine)
+measured impedance between CANH and CANL lines on OBD port - 61ohms and not changing while hand playing with various wires
+checked all fuses
+before the problem emerged there were no DTCs set

One more strange issue: when engine is running and Torque is trying to make a link it checks various protocols sequentially - during those checks the engine RPM pointer shivers going to zero and back to normal for a couple of times (engine at this time runs smoothly).

What could have gone wrong, what else can I check to investigate? Any help appreciated.

Clio 2 PH 2 K4j
Auxiliary question then: in which component, UCH (inside the car underneath the dash) or Siemens Sirius (in the engine bay) is the "ECU" located? ie when some app says "connecting to ECU" which of those two it connects to? Which of them have circuits that allow live engine parameters or DTC codes reading?