ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2 Phase 2 1.6 16v (2002) Mass Air Flow?

Mk2 Phase 2 Clio 1.6 16v
Hello guys, have had BMW's and Volkwagens in the past, whenever I've had engine trouble at idle its usually been down to coil packs and the mass air flow sensor. I just bought my girlfriend a clio yesterday evening, its a tidy little motor. However when the engine is warm, it seems to just cut out intermittently at idle, not when in transit, just at low revs/idle. When you start it there doesn't seem to be more than a 100 revs at idle, but this morning I got in, gave it a cold start and all was fine, was idling at about 800rpm. I've ordered a set of 4 ignition coils off ebay for the bargain price of £44 and wanted to get a mass air flow sensor as well, I cant seem to figure out where the part is on the engine though let alone locate one on ebay. Could you help me out, any help is appreciated, especially if you've came across this problem before. Also the car has done 58,000 miles but I cannot see any records of a cam belt change, would you advise this also? Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Renault does not use a Mass Air flow sensor, they use a MAP sensor instead....but they rarely fail. I think you did good with the coil packs and you can also try cleaning the crankshaft speed sensor, it is located right above the flywheel on the gearbox housing. This sensor tends to get dirty causing all kinds of weird, random issues like trouble starting from cold, hard starts when hot and so on....

As for the cambelt, at 58k miles you should plan to do it within the next 10 or 15k...I'd do it right now as we have seen some horror stories of cambelts snapping as early as 50k, it all depends on use.

When doing the cambelt you can do the water pump too and forget about it for a couple years...it is a pain in the ass to do the cambelt now and have the water pump leak coolant on your brand new belt the next week...lol

Mk2 Phase 2 Clio 1.6 16v
Cheers for the reply! How much should I look to spend on a water pump? Also, something I didn't mention which just dawned on me, could the problem be down to the idle control valve? Something even more interesting is that the problem only seems to occur when the engine is warm as the revs are much less once the temperature rises.