ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200/220 high milage

Ben perry

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Dunno if it’s been covered but I’m after a mk4 clio rs I’m probs at cheeper end of market budget wise is there anything concerning to worrie about like wet cambelt how good is the auto gearbox I see they run a dual clutch like (dsg) I guess I’m obvs not too worried if write off
Cheers again 👍

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Mines on 140k and only just showing signs of the clutch needing replacement if that helps.

it’s a chain driven engine fyi.

Ben perry

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Thank you for your reply chains obvs are good for the milage unlike vag 😂

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Sorry to hijack, but are the gearboxes in these pretty good? Has there been any talk of failures with lots of launches etc?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Fingers crossed the gearbox is made of better stuff than mk3 gearboxes! As above has said they are a getrag box.
only usual or common faults are the bottom radiator hose clip failing and the battery throwing issues when dying.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Interesting. Has anyone put really big power through one?

Are there any fixes for the clutch? Seen a few people comment about it .

2014 Clio 200t edc
I think they cap the torque to keep the box happy but there is a couple running 320 plus hp. Apparently (I think) the same person who created the hybrid turbo is having some updated clutch plates created.

2014 Clio 200t edc
On the reliability side, the juke nismo uses the same engine and those have been tuned big time in America and have mega miles on them, so hopefully that’s a good sign.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think they cap the torque to keep the box happy but there is a couple running 320 plus hp. Apparently (I think) the same person who created the hybrid turbo is having some updated clutch plates created.

That would be interesting to see. Is it just that the friction material isn't up to the job?

Would be cool to see a few more highly modified ones, as there aren't many on here.

2014 Clio 200t edc
That would be interesting to see. Is it just that the friction material isn't up to the job?

Would be cool to see a few more highly modified ones, as there aren't many on here.
I’m really not sure, just that it was uprated, whatever that means. It’s a guy on the faceache group, but I’m sure that @Ricardos new car was his.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
And to think this was one of the main reasons the Mk4 was panned when it came out

I'd say drop the whole lot in a mk2 or 3, it's been done, and again to think you're seeing 300hp with a hybrid, a curve ball to the usual 'Megclio' efforts

Could do. I just like the idea of an n/a 2 or 3 with the 4 gearbox.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I know people have mated the vw 6 speed gearbox to a 182 (I’m sure) so wonder if a dsg could be adapted? Doubt the clio 4 gearbox would mate to the f4r engine. Anything is possible though.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Yeah they’re completely different bolt pattern wise. But someone with a big brain could definitely sort an adapter

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I know people have mated the vw 6 speed gearbox to a 182 (I’m sure) so wonder if a dsg could be adapted? Doubt the clio 4 gearbox would mate to the f4r engine. Anything is possible though.
It's not just the mechanical mating, thats the easy part, you just have to get torque to the input shaft. getting the electronics working would be an epic task, because the DSG systems take input from many other parts of the car. Lets take some simple ones, engine speed, road speed, torque demand, throttle postion. How do you feed that in to the VW DSG controller from a Renault engine management system? It wont even be a case of wiring either, as a lot of it will be CAN I suspect.
You would need a completely standalone DSG controller of some sort. I don't even know if thats a thing. Every DSG conversion I recall seeing included the native engine and control systems.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It's not just the mechanical mating, thats the easy part, you just have to get torque to the input shaft. getting the electronics working would be an epic task, because the DSG systems take input from many other parts of the car. Lets take some simple ones, engine speed, road speed, torque demand, throttle postion. How do you feed that in to the VW DSG controller from a Renault engine management system? It wont even be a case of wiring either, as a lot of it will be CAN I suspect.
You would need a completely standalone DSG controller of some sort. I don't even know if thats a thing. Every DSG conversion I recall seeing included the native engine and control systems.

I believe there is a guy in eastern Europe somewhere doing DSG controllers now, as a few people are starting to fit the 'boxes into other cars. I saw an off-the-shelf adaptor kit to fit one into a Corsa VXR on eBay a while back.