ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 edc disappointed ..

Megane R26
Just went to rest drive a 2015 cup packed 200 edc Lux and have to say I was quite disappointed.

Seats are lovely and it's definitely a nicer place to sit in than my 182 but I didn't notice much difference in performance or handling!

Will be looking at mk3 200 again as I loved my last cup packed one!

Anyone else found the Edc a bit of a disappointment?

Should I be looking at the Fiesta St instead?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I owned a fiesta st-3 for a year, wasn’t overly impressed with that.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What was wrong with the st? Been offered a moltan 13 plate. But at 7500 it's a lot of money.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What was wrong with the st? Been offered a moltan 13 plate. But at 7500 it's a lot of money.

Nothing was wrong with it as such, it just never felt as good as I remember my 182 being, the ride was too hard it was awful, and the noise thing did my head in. I ripped it out in the end lol.

Looked lovely though

Also don’t bother with the orange, it looks same as red, check out the pic below one is the free red colour (mine) and ones the £750 option of orange.

D85E4E2B-E53B-4964-85D7-28B7DFBEEC6F.jpeg
2F7D78E1-E791-40BC-9B88-7790C6C354D3.jpeg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never driven a 200 EDC at length, but I wasn't overly impressed with my 220 Trophy for the first 2 or 3 weeks then I got into a rhythm with it and now 16k miles and 1 year on, I'm honestly not sure what I would replace it with this side of £30k now! - it was once I got it on roads I had been on in my 172/182/197/200 etc and then I started to realise how capable it is!

I would say the handling is on par with my 197 R27/200 Cup but with twice the ride comfort lol, I think it probably has more grip tbh and it stops better than the brembos too!

Oddly enough, the best "mod" ive done so far was ditch the SuperSports for PilotSport 4's

if your budget allows I would try a trophy, but I definitely think its one of these cars that you need to spend time with, a test drive was never going to do it for me either, but I went on a gut feeling with the fact it looked the part in LY and was nice to commute in! The joy I think with the mk2 and mk3 was that even for someone who wasn't into cars or driving, they could jump in, drive it and it would put a smile on your face, the MK4 is a completely different proposition, or maybe im just getting old and boring?

Megane R26
You're probably right with it being a car that's more sublte and needs a bit longer to gel with. I was just expecting a bit more performance from the engine compared to my 182.

Trophy is out of budget so I'll look at 200 with cup chassis and Recaros or a Meg 250.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I too went for the 220 trophy from a ph1, it’s a much easier car to live with, but the engine does not have the character of the F4R (but then not many engines do, the MR16DDT is capable but linear)

The chassis on the trophy really is something special, coupled with the much better driving position. Damping feels a little strong for UK roads, but the hydraulic bump-stops take most of the sting out of potholes.

If it had to be the mk4 it would have to be the trophy, otherwise the Meg 250.

2014 RS Clio 200T
I owned one for a couple of months paid off the finance to get rid of it, i couldn't get on with mine at all, it was only a 14 plate ph1, but found the Box unbearable unless it was in Race mode

Going to be on the hunt for a 182 over the next couple months, id love another 197 Cup but finances dont allow at the moment. 197 Cup with recaro's easily the best Clio iv driven and owned, out of many many mk1 16vs, 1*2's etc would love a mk3 200 Cup in AG or RB, but again maybe in the future

Megane R26
I owned one for a couple of months paid off the finance to get rid of it, i couldn't get on with mine at all, it was only a 14 plate ph1, but found the Box unbearable unless it was in Race mode

Going to be on the hunt for a 182 over the next couple months, id love another 197 Cup but finances dont allow at the moment. 197 Cup with recaro's easily the best Clio iv driven and owned, out of many many mk1 16vs, 1*2's etc would love a mk3 200 Cup in AG or RB, but again maybe in the future

I hear you! I just didn't gel with it like I do, with other Renaultsport cars. Found a nice black 200 with Recaros and cup packed, picking it up on Tuesday.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

The gearbox software revision on the pre face-lift models makes a world of difference. I hated the gear changes, everything about how it took too long to change, work out what gear to be in, just too clumsy. When I had it done it completely changed the drive of the car, coming up to junctions and roundabouts it was far quicker to downshift and be in the right gear for me everytime, I then didn't have to override it with the paddles unless I went into Sport or Race mode to do it all myself.

As others have mentioned don't expect to jump into them and gel with them from the off, it just won't happen. It'll take months to get used to the tech involved with them.

I loved mine, especially the 220 Trophy. I've owned both models and can say to anyone if you can afford to go 220 then do it, again the software and all the small changes like the LED headlights all add up to a completely different experience.

The map to 250hp and the Brembo 4 pot conversion I did the took it up another level.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I drove a non-cup 200 a while ago. I really liked it but as has been echoed above on the 10 mile test drive I didn’t quite gel with it. The salesman was pushing me on and although it was quick the gearbox has a few niggles like slow to react. I was driving a merc slushbox auto so it was much much quicker than that but not as quick as I thought it should be.
I would love one eventually but it would have to be a 220 or at least a late 200 with the revised software for me.