ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 Mk3 V Clio 200 T Mk4

Clio 200
Hi everyone:)

Was wondering if anyone has driven both the new Clio 200 as well as the old mk3 model and is there a big difference in the way the cars drive?

I know the engine's will be quite different as one is a 1.6T while the other is a n/a 2.0

Others thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeh - They're a completely different car. They drive completely differently, handle completely differently, have a different atmosphere/character about them. It's difficult to put all of the differences down in words really.

Clio 200
Yeah I get what you mean thanks. I own a mk3 clio 200 and was wondering if the mk4 has moved the game on again in terms of how good these clio sports are to drive or is it more of a sideways step?

Clio 200
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not sure if I would consider getting the mk4 for my next car then if it's different in many ways good or bad as you's are saying.

Also I think the paddle shift gearbox is all wrong for a small hot hatch and takes away part of the fun from the whole experience.

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Have only test driven both so can't comment on how either of them are as daily's etc. but based on just the test drives they are very different! The mk3 is obviously much more revvy! And of course the gear box, I'd say don't write the auto and paddles off though, when I drove the mk4 I was surprised at just how good and fun it is!

Based on just the test drive and money no object I'd have the turbo, but that's because it offers a bit more for what I'd want out of a car, it'd be mk3 all day long for track though!

Clio 200
Yeah the mk4 would be easier to live with on a day to day basis as it has more torque and is probably are bit more refined than the mk3:)

However the 2.0 n/a is a screamer and I think I would miss that from time to time when having a bit of fun!

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Yeah defo, the mk4 is easy to just jump into, slip into drive and almost let it take you where you want to, easy enough to pop into RS mode and give it beans if you want, plus the considerably better mpg over the old 200, and much lower tax. And better practicality with 5 doors, no more having you best mate get out to let the other two buddies clamber in the back :p

For me all of that outweighs the downsides compared to the mk3, but if you bring the price into the equation then I would certainly reconsider haha!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I had a passenger ride in a 200t and really didnt like it, I think I'll have to get behind the wheel to see if my opinion changes.

Acceleration felt no different

ride was soft as f**k, not sure if that'd have an affect on confidence when pressing on

Engine sounds were fun for 5 mins then were awkward, no other word or it

gearchanges seemed rather delayed, not sure how that'd feel when driving

the drive by wire throttle still lag

it does match revs for you as you come down the gears which is a bonus, apparently you can change gear with the gear stick, dog box style

handling, even from the passenger seat was amazing, not sure if it was the tyres or what but even in a dealers hands it felt brilliantly stuck to the road

looks like an Ibiza from the rear

looks like a bulldog running from the front

missing flared arches

very cheap interior, it almost felt fisher price

the seats weren't as supportive as the outgoing 200 seats (non recaros)

when they come down in price I'm sure theyll be capable of decent power for cheap and cheerful boost. I still don't agree with it being called a clio though

I love them. The box isn't as bad as people think/make out. It's still quicker than you manually changing. I quite like the flappy paddles, very race caresque in my opinion. Handling/grip is phenomenal. As are the brakes. And it's faster IMO than a 200.

Renault Clio 197
I have a 197 but have driven a 200 and recently drove the 200 EDC.

I personally feel the new Clio is much more of a better car and is worlds apart from my 197.

The 197/200 is a hard track orientated car compared to the new 200 but I think it is smart development from renault as it offers the speed and performance but can also be just driven as an everyday car, where as the 197/200 is much more harder to live with.

My boyfriend hit the nail on the head after driving the new 200 and said it is very much Jekyll and Hyde whereas my clio is just always Hyde lol

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
echoing what knuckles said above, I have had a test drive of one & was pretty underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car & the interior is certainly better in terms of looks.

But it to me looks like a 1.2, the acceleration felt no different & the handling wasn't involving or as good as the old 200.

Oh and the gearbox is horrendous.

Suzuki Jimny
It's a car that will appeal to a different range of people. I'm at the age where I want a car that's bumpy and noisy with a manual gearbox, but I imagine in 10 years I will really like the idea of the 200edc.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
It's a car that will appeal to a different range of people. I'm at the age where I want a car that's bumpy and noisy with a manual gearbox, but I imagine in 10 years I will really like the idea of the 200edc.

AKA OAP's warm hatch ;)

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
imo the 200 is a renaultsport the new one is a clio with a renaultsport button, yes it drives nice but so do lots of other cars, get a 200 and thrash it :)

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
I drive a Clio RS200 EDC LUX used to have a mk3 200. Completely different cars.

New one a much better car overall and definitely to live with all of the time, the interior finish is far better.

Old one much more raw and more of a 'drivers car'

people who have been commenting on the gearbox on the new Clio but haven't yet driven it really need to reserve judgement until they have.. Just because its different doesn't mean it's bad. Gear changes are quick and smooth, the launch control system and multiple downshifts while in race mode is supercar stuff which has no right to be there on a 20k Clio.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The only benefit I can see the 200t having over the outgoing models is it being easier to drive in the morning.

when I've just woke up, my car is a bit much with the kangarooing and screaming nature of the engine... And having to change gear as frequently as I blink. I think the auto box and 'slow map' would help a little, but on the other hand... Having to press a button every time I want to kick its head it would annoy me

Renault Clio 197
I drive a Clio RS200 EDC LUX used to have a mk3 200. Completely different cars.

New one a much better car overall and definitely to live with all of the time, the interior finish is far better.

Old one much more raw and more of a 'drivers car'

people who have been commenting on the gearbox on the new Clio but haven't yet driven it really need to reserve judgement until they have.. Just because its different doesn't mean it's bad. Gear changes are quick and smooth, the launch control system and multiple downshifts while in race mode is supercar stuff which has no right to be there on a 20k Clio.

I completely agree about the gearbox, I found it very responsive and so easy to use when in race mode.

I'm really contemplating getting one as it is much more of an all round car and easier to live with, yet provides the same power as my 197!

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
Not bad for a turbo, petrol, auto though. Just purchased a TS FF 182 as a track day project though!

Italian 3.2 V6
The new 200T just comes across too 'soft' for me. Not a true hot hatch like it's predecessors. Hopefully they bring a harder more focused one to the table.

..although I'm yet to drive one!

ff cup ur 200
Renault's "done a Peugeot"
Harsh but fair I think but they have only made one dog as opposed to a whole decade of them, if renault get there fingers out with a with a revised version of the mk4 all will be forgotten and the clio will be back on top, fingers crossed....

Tav

Clio 197
Megane 225 was dung when it came out and the 197 wasn't well received...so give them a chance and see what they do!

LY 200 EDC LUX
I test-drove a 200t today. I've owned my mk3 for 9 months now.
The cars could not be further apart in terms of just about everything (bar the '200' part).

I have to say, I absolutely loved the 200t. Those who have commented on the 'box without actually trying it need to give it a go before being so judgemental. I will admit, I went into the test drive with the wrong attitude. I came out wanting to buy it, which is a probability (I still have a fiesta ST to try, although I'm sick of seeing them to be fair, they're so common).

Car in question was Liquid Yellow with the cup pack and black 18's. Had a very good drive (shout out to Renault Maidstone and the salesman, who's name escapes me. He was fantastic). The extra torque is extremely noticeable and makes the car far more driveable around town / pottering around. The cabin is nicer and the ride is smoother, but can be changed with the press of a button....something you can't do in a mk3. Granted, if I were on a track, I'd pick the mk3, but I don't live on a track. The sound effect function was a good gimmick and you can turn it off. I actually liked the standard sound. Launch control put a huge smile on my face. Ok, its no GT-R, but then it doesn't cost 70k.

Im just going to wait a few years when theres an old lady selling on for 5k. Buying new is a mugs game from a financial standpoint. Unless you have 20k to throw away...in which case you would probably buy something else.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I test-drove a 200t today. I've owned my mk3 for 9 months now.
The cars could not be further apart in terms of just about everything (bar the '200' part).

I have to say, I absolutely loved the 200t. Those who have commented on the 'box without actually trying it need to give it a go before being so judgemental. I will admit, I went into the test drive with the wrong attitude. I came out wanting to buy it, which is a probability (I still have a fiesta ST to try, although I'm sick of seeing them to be fair, they're so common).

Car in question was Liquid Yellow with the cup pack and black 18's. Had a very good drive (shout out to Renault Maidstone and the salesman, who's name escapes me. He was fantastic). The extra torque is extremely noticeable and makes the car far more driveable around town / pottering around. The cabin is nicer and the ride is smoother, but can be changed with the press of a button....something you can't do in a mk3. Granted, if I were on a track, I'd pick the mk3, but I don't live on a track. The sound effect function was a good gimmick and you can turn it off. I actually liked the standard sound. Launch control put a huge smile on my face. Ok, its no GT-R, but then it doesn't cost 70k.

I owned a MK3 200 Cup for around 18 months, and have driven botht he MK3 and MK4 200's on track - I hated the MK4 :(

As a stand alone car, yeah, it's good enough. But comparing to my old 200.. Leagues apart IMO. Saying that.. My ST is better than them both.. They're very common yes, but for a reason. Fantastic cars, make sure you drive one!! :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I personally love the look of the new Clios. Had a 1.2 rental car yesterday (didn't know they still did the 1149cc engine). It was gutless, absolutely no power at all. But as a place to be I found it quite nice. Could easily have a TCE engined one as a daily. It felt like a Clio too. Very light steering but you could tell it had a bit of capability behind the chassis, I imagine the 200T is just more of that like comparing a 172 to a Ph2 1.2/DCI.

I wouldn't say no to a car that looks like that, with a 200hp turbo engine and semi-auto box, but I'm not interested in that kind of car right now so not going to bother trying to drive one.

Love that they're 5 door too. Hot hatches don't need to be 3 doors anymore.