ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 - the lack of a jack.

Da

Less
Now I know the jack is removed when you spec the cup chassis, but what is the real reasoning behind this? I mean I have all the other parts - wheel brace etc - but no jack.

Also, how are you meant to inflate the tyre with tyre foam if you can't jack up the car in the first place? :S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Exactly. I suggest you go to Renault with the handbook, which iirc says to jack car up before inflating, then ask them what to do if you have no jack ;)

Da

Less
I might just phone my dealer and tell them they forgot to put one in - you never know they might just hand one over.

M135i
I might just phone my dealer and tell them they forgot to put one in - you never know they might just hand one over.

To be fair, back when I had a 197, I heard of quite a few owners who kicked off and the dealers just gave them a jack rather than bother arguing.

Da

Less
Weight saving has to be a joke??

I figured it was because the chassis was so stiff.

Golf GTD Mk7
lol no jack for weight saving. Must just be a mistake mate. Incedentally, not sure if you need a jack before you use tyre foam

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Could be wrong, I thought the jack didn't fit under the lower cup chassis? I've got a jack.
I don't think you have to jack it up to use the foam though.

Da

Less
I can't see there being an issue, it's only mm's lower than the standard 200 isn't it?

Alibi Blue 200
I complained to the dealer and they just gave me one. I think it even says in the options book at the dealer that the 200 comes with a jack, but the 200 cup does not.

Da

Less
Oh yeah I'm aware it doesn't come with one, and always have been, I was just curious as to Renault's reasoning behind it?

Da

Less
Thanks, well I've emailed Jeremy so hopefully he can shed some light on the issue.

Da

Less
Well, it's official, the chassis is too stiff -

Jeremy RUK said:
It's not fitted because the Cup chassis is so stiff that jacking the front or rear of the car will also raise both wheels in the air. Therefore, unless the opposite wheels are secured (with a block or such), there's a risk that the car could move and topple off the jack.

Not really sure where that leaves us with the tyre foam.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol at the chassis. Springs/arbs more like. I've jacked all my Clios up fitted with coilovers lol

2010 Clio RS Cup 200
Hi all,
If someone has one of the jacks that fit in the boots space could you please let me know the part number off of it, so I can organise one through my sources. Dealers here in Australia want $180 AUD for one (103 GBP)!
Cheers.

My 182 did the same when using the front jacking point... the rear wheel would lift too.

Pretty sure the Ph1 172 did it, too.

Da

Less
Hi all,
If someone has one of the jacks that fit in the boots space could you please let me know the part number off of it, so I can organise one through my sources. Dealers here in Australia want $180 AUD for one (103 GBP)!
Cheers.

I am (hopefully) getting one from my dealer so I will let you know once I receive it.

Oh and yeah, my 182 'cocked' too whenever I jacked it up. I don't think it's a new thing, just another way of Renault keeping costs down.

Stagecoach Ticket
My 182 did the same when using the front jacking point... the rear wheel would lift too.

Pretty sure the Ph1 172 did it, too.

PH1 Does do it badly mines on apex springs and shocks though and yes before anyone does ask the ride is s**t!

Stagecoach Ticket
Back on the subject i would jack a 200 cup anyday of the week i doubt even with quite a substancial push would it tople tbh. Why dnt you buy a small trolly jack and a cargo harness/net of somekind renault jacks are pish

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Hi, I am new to the forum and i will give my go to why they didn't supply a jack with the car.

I believe that the car is so stiff that a normal automotive jack might not be strong enough to lift it. Normally when you lift a car, the oposite diagonal suspension is compressing. If the springs on the car are so stiff that doesn't allow for that much compression, you will need to be actually lifting all the vehicle. Now, quite a few jacks have been mentioned to give away while the car is lifted because of material weaknesses.

There, i said it.

Didn't say that it will make sence