ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 3 1.2 Non-TCE

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Hi Gents and Ladies.

I recently got a Clio 3 1.2, there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone about though; things are a little 'strange...'.

Knocking in boot when driving on road - I have put this down to the exhaust tapping on the spare wheel underneath the car, I am used to it because I drive it regularly. But it is loud enough for new passengers to hear and mention it (Fussy buggers)

Gear grind, clutch fully deperssed - On my way in to a McDonalds as teenagers do and I had the clutch fully depressed, slipped it in to 2nd from 1st and then saw a parking space. I took it out of 2nd, realized I needed to have a little more speed so I slotted it back in to second without taking the clutch up and I got a grind. It was too fast for 1st (Would have had to ram it, which Ill never do) but too slow to lift the clutch all the way for 2nd, you know.

Adding a turbo to the car (Small) - Any chance of this? I have £2k to play with what can I do. I don't want a bigger engine, but squeezing more out of a 1.2 would shock a few ricers accelerating on a motorway.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Check your spare wheel is tight and fitted properly, face of wheel should be facing the floor.
mk3 1.2 boxes are prone to crunching and difficult gear selection, I've replaced loads in the past (main dealer)

RB 200
Adding a turbo to the car (Small) - Any chance of this? I have £2k to play with what can I do. I don't want a bigger engine, but squeezing more out of a 1.2 would shock a few ricers accelerating on a motorway.

How much was the car? If you had in your mind fitting a turbo, you obviously arnt comfortable with the power?
You could buy a decent 172/182 for that. Let alone whatever you paid for the mk3 .. Insurance wouldn't be THAT bad either considering..

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I've noticed that my old Clio 2 1.2 gearbox was absolute shyte too. Seems to be a problem with all Renault 1.2 Boxes, my friend had to replace his recently in his 2. The spare wheel is solid, but I think the exhaust is tapping it, isn't the exhaust meant to be a tad bit loose?

As for the price I paid, it came to about 4.5k for 21k miles at 2009 model.
Heres a picture:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/386566_10200381123683418_1738244023_n.jpg

My old one on the right, mine was exactly the same but I had a crash in it. The new one on the left.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Shoulda just got a 182 :p

and yep. Gearboxes arnt the best

Oh trust me, I did consider it. But what put me off was the fact that it was sport; after all. If someone is buying a sport, they are going to rag it end of story. Who doesn't? Its damn near impossible to find a low mileage 182 that hasn't ever seen its limiter many-a-times.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
TCE engines are cheap, I'd imagine that would be your first port of call if youre serious about a turbo.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
TCE engines are cheap, I'd imagine that would be your first port of call if youre serious about a turbo.

Wouldn't my engine just be better than a TCE if I did a real Turbo addition on to it? I'd need a crap ton of parts so what would be the point in an engine conversion if I am going to replace them anyway (most likely).

2007 clio dynamique
In regards to knocking in the boot, my old mk3 used to do it, never really bothered me but I think it can also be the boot lid moving slightly where it locks or something like that (I read it on another Renault forum)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

It really wouldn't. A diesel modus can outrun a 1.2 clio, Turbo or not.

Oh trust me, I did consider it. But what put me off was the fact that it was sport; after all. If someone is buying a sport, they are going to rag it end of story. Who doesn't? Its damn near impossible to find a low mileage 182 that hasn't ever seen its limiter many-a-times.

​And?? That's what they're designed to do. Providing they've been serviced properly they'll go on for a long long time.

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
it doesn't matter if its been on limiter many of times they are brilliant engines and designed for it ! you should be more worried if it was on the limiter on a 1.2 lol

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
The knocking is the boot lid - the little metal bar that the boot lid actually locks into, it's that that's rattling. There is a guide on here of how to stop it you simply wrap a bit of tape around the metal bar. I did it with mine for a bit and it stopped the rattle, but my boot went funny and sometimes I couldn't unlock/lock it so I have to remove it ...I probably put too much on

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Ill take a look at that tomorrow for the boot lid, thanks guys. Also, why are V6's so expensive? £12-13k for a 50k v6 where as £3k for a 182? Probably a silly question, but is it really worth that price difference?

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
The knocking is the boot lid - the little metal bar that the boot lid actually locks into, it's that that's rattling. There is a guide on here of how to stop it you simply wrap a bit of tape around the metal bar. I did it with mine for a bit and it stopped the rattle, but my boot went funny and sometimes I couldn't unlock/lock it so I have to remove it ...I probably put too much on

Got a link to that guide?
My rear end is rattling! Lol

the knocking of the boot lid maybe the boot itself mine does it as someone went in the back of me and ever since then it did it also it sounds funny but i got my 1.2 remappped runs like a 1.4 pushing nearly 90 bhp and i would 100% lower it on ap coilovers as the standard suspension is a joke;)