ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 65 DCI ( Improving MPG)

phase 2 172
Hi everyone, i got another clio DCI now ( 172 has gone) and i want to improve the mpg. I was looking in to the tuning boxes, and woundered if anyone had one on here or had any knowledge on them?? Do they improve the MPG by a lot on the DCI? I had one on my Xsara HDI and it did :) also any brands of tuning boxes recomended?

Thanks
Jon

Audi TT 3.2 V6
might be an idea to give your dci a damn good service. could well improve your mpg

320d
Improve the MPG those things can return 75mpg on a 70mph motorway trip (well the dci 80) and you want more.

What's the going price on say an 04 or 05 plate DCi? Thinking of getting a diesel as a second car, when I start commuting into work come July.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i bought my 2001 51 plate for £1800 dci 65!

give it a good service mate they like regular oil changes, i did mine every 5k on mine. use genuine oil filters. change the glowplugs and air filter (i used a K&N for the sake of being able to wash it and refit)

imo they dont run well on vpower diesel or bp ultimate diesel so i ran mine on normal diesel but millers do a fuel additave called dieselsport 4 i think it was called its brilliant, less smoke, more mpg and they claim more power but tbh i didnt really notice anything, maby on a high powered diesel.

also i also got more mpg from fitting a dci 80 intercooler lol

get yourself registered on www.cliodci.net

phase 2 172
It was services at garage in feb. as for what they go for, i paid £3350 last week for a 54 plate with 43k with fsh. Its also had its cambelt done ;) cheers for link :)

t3 corolla 116bhp
good service
dont carry any uneceesary weight
dont over rev
= improved mpg

tuning box on mine was very sore on mpg. it was a CR tuning bic iirc. noticable gains but just analogue box so not great.

MK3 Dci & Sinclair c5
stripped out, fibreglass panels, lexan windows, narrow-er tyres, fold in wing mirrors, ducttape all panel gaps :rasp: oh you could just give it a good service and improve your driving style :rolleyes:

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Last october i bought a 2004 (54 reg) Clio DCI 80 Expression (3DR) with 57k miles on it for £2800 which was an amazing grab imo...

Since then i have installed a TDI-Tuning box on it and have had a Longlife Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust fitted and i seem to have had a nice boost in both performance and mpg from these, i now estimate the cars running at around 105bhp and i also have it booked in at prospeed for a decat tomorrow which im hoping should free up some extra ponies and improve MPG ever so slightly...

I also still got th stock panel filter but plan on buying a K&N panel filter shortly...

I would recommend cleaning the EGR valve as it usually tends to get blocked up, i clean mine after every so many thousand miles to keep things running nice and smooth...

Id recommend the tdi-tuning box as its worked nicely for me and the torque increase was impressive, but i have yet to try any other tuning boxes so i cant say mines the best...

phase 2 172
Thing why am asking is, i was getting 72mpg according to trip computer. I had 3 budget tyres fitted, and now it dropped right down to 63.5mpg!!! I WAS :(

dCi 80 tractor
63mpg that is still pretty good, most i got out of my dci80 was 74 on a road trip to Alton towers:approve: I mostly drive mine around town and get 58-63mpg so 63mpg isn't all that bad, perhaps it was those budget tyres! you dont really need a tuning box tbh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why did you only have 3 budget tyres fitted??

And Diesels respond well to a good service. Plugs/air filter/fuel filter/oil filter etc etc. Thats where i'd start.

Evo
ADblue, its a fuel additive for diesel, MAN use it in their truck to conform with euro4 emissions so it must do summin...

Clown Car
Please don't put adblue in your diesel tank as it is not a fuel additive, adblue is stored in a seperate smaller tank on an HGV, the adblue solution is sprayed into the exiting exhaust gasses to neutralise the harmful NoX's.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Why did you only have 3 budget tyres fitted??

And Diesels respond well to a good service. Plugs/air filter/fuel filter/oil filter etc etc. Thats where i'd start.

youch for that after my burpspeed oil change thismorning. felt like a different car on the way back from the rolling road.

as said a good service (good oil). clean egr and filter etc (in my case change the choked oil breather too) and stick something like millers diesel sport in the tank occasionally.

Megane 1.5dci
Hi - I have a 1.5dci 100BHP Megane which is the same engine as in the Clio.

I used to get an average of around 54mpg but since fitting the tuning box I got from ebay, see link, it has gone upto 62mpg and a noticed increase in power and much improved running.

I would definitely recommend getting one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Economy-Tuning-Chip-Box-Renault-Scenic-dCi_W0QQitemZ110309791332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19aef9d664&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

185lb/ft dCi
do what everyone said, service, performance filter, every little bit helps, throw out the back seats and carpet! :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just had my dci mapped and I have a nother map ready to go on set up for a decat,anyone know a decent place in essex to get a decat mad up