ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Alternatives

After buying my second brand new clio, ive decided my next car is DEFINATELY not going to be a Renault. The build quality on both is dire and just feels cheap.

My current car is a 2004 1.4 16v Clio but my next car is gonna have to be cheaper (about 6-8k), i need some ideas on what to get. Im only 19 so insurance will be a BIT of a problem. (No Williams or Valvers!)

Honest Ideas Please Guys!

Does it have to be new? Cant think of many cars at that price new - SEAT Arosa or Fiat?? Hmmm.

If its used youre after, then it depends on what you like. Has it got to be "sporty"?

why no williams or valvers? surely you must have a few years no claims by now? get a real mint one around £3k then its not gona be that much 2 insure it! and every1 complains about hte build quality its what ya get for drivin with french style!:cool:

Fiesta Zetec S, the 2002 one I think, no idea about build quality but they look mint :)

But if want somat solidly built, and fast, how about an old Polo G40 Coupe, nice and solid :) , heh but then I just seen youre only 19, forget that one ;)

Im not convinced by so-called "well built" cars. VW, BMW and Audi consistently come out no better than average in reliability and satisfaction surveys. The truly reliable cars are apparently Toyota (Lexus too), Volvo and Jaguar.

We had a 1980s Vovlo 340 for a few years. I kid you not it was like a tank. You just couldnt kill the bugger. Apart from a worn tyre, it never caused any problems at all. The crazy thing is that most Volvos of this age use Renault mechanicals and electrics!

dunno bout the 80s volvo, i know the 440s etc had engines based on renault engine, volvo basically reproduced them to their spec as far as im aware

the newish shape (about 98 i think) civic?? cheap to insure, can be sporty, and can look the nuts!!

How about a Seat Ibiza Cupra Y reg ones for sale for ~£8k well equipt and excellent tunning potential.

Citreon Zhara coupe loose money from new like mad you can pick a 3yr old one for under £6k 169hp if I remember and quite well equipt.

Mz Zr look sporty body kit etcWhat about a volvo t thing someone posted a while ago that insuracne was cheap for them (20 I think) even with a 300hp chip which doesnt affect the volvo warently so its muust be well maped.

I reckon you could pick up a used lupo GTI for around £8k if you shop around. I had one of these and it was quite good fun and cheap to run (insurance could be a bit pricey though?). The alternative to that could be the Arosa Sport which is low insurance but still 10s 0-60 if I remember correctly. One word of caution though, only consider either of these if boot space is not a priority - its tiny! :)

182, GTR, C63

The build quality i have to be ohnest is sh*te on my renault but it makes me laugh so much that im not bothered. Like the funny noise the elec windows make when the go down at warp factor 9. The doors squeek (need some wd40) I like the way its dead loud as you unlock it. i could go on but the reason i forgive it al these things is its a pocket rocket. Oh yeah back to your situation DONT BUY NEW CARS!! you loose too much money and there old after 6 months when the next reg comes out. Saxo vtr are cheap insurance but there sh*t . corsa C sri 1.4 is IG 5 (i had one) and are "sporty" .They are also a rare car to come across. corsa C 1.8 Sri (thats your best choice) IG8 or 9 i think these are twice as rare as the above and have 120bhp 0-60 about 8ish. cant thing of any other good lil cars at the moment. Anyone got and good reasons to disagree with him getting a corsa? (remembers both these sris in the corsa C are rare)

Renaultsport Clio 182

Astra, not the brand spanky new one, but my mate just bought a GSi/Turbo Astra 18months old for £9000, originally about £16K I think, with very low mileage. So pretty sure you could get a 1.8 for about £6-7K. Although there is one problem........your mates will start to mock you for buying a Sunday afternoon Grandad cruising machine!!!!!!

I wouldnt touch one, but they are pretty cheap for the car you get.......apart from that the only other moderately reasonable car I would even consider if your moving away from Renault for the money your looking to spend would be a Seat Cupra

Theres only really a seat leon or ibiza thats similar, which devalues like mad from new (so you should pick it up cheap) and the is built on mainly VW components. A golf or lupo is another possibility but will cost a bit.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Hes 19 so doesnt want a willliams /valver because of insurance costs and most people are suggesting insurance group 14+. How about a Golf Tdi/ 306 TD or if you dont want a diesel a MG ZR. Your always going to have to compromise a bit on insurance/sportyness though.