ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio cigar lighter fault.

clio 1.2
Hi,
was looking to get a sat nav for car and run it off the cigar lighter, but the lighter was not working, thought it was a lighter fault, so i went and bought a new one but it still does not work as a lighter. The light is working at the lighter itself when i turn on the car lights. The radio and horn all work, beleive they are on the same fuse. Any ideas ??
Thanks for any info.

Clio 182
Get a volt meter and check you have power running to it.

+1, multimeter on cig lighter, then ignition on should go from 0 to 12v on turn of key, first bet is to check/replace fuse - elsewise its a re-wiring issue

clio 1.2
Testing with a multimeter, do you mean I should pull out the lighter from the socket and try to see if there is power to the socket by putting one of the multimeter probe into the socket?
OR
take the wiring socket off the back of the actual socket itself and test the wires coming to the socket.
If its this option which colour of wire would be the live one? There are 3 wires coming to the the socket. Black / red line - yellow / red line - light blue.
Thanks for the advice, PS you may have noticed that I ain't no mechanic

Clio 182
u can just hold the multimeter on the inside of the cig socket, if this gives no readings then disconnect it at the back and test the individual wires, should be 12V & 0V

Might be a silly suggestion, but have you actually tried the cigarette lighter with anything else other than the SatNav. Just so you can rule out a faulty sat nav charger?

Iiirc, The metal in the middle, right inside at the bottom of the lighter is the +ve. So touch that with the probe of the multimeter, and the other probe on a grounding point, you should get a 12v reading

clio 1.2
Cigar lighter now working, thanks for the advice / help guys.
There was no power when I tested with the multimeter, so I looked up the hand book which showed that the radio, cigar lighter and clock all worked off the same fuse. On checking the fuse had blown.
I made the mistake that because the radio and clock were working it was not a fuse fault.

But after removing the blown fuse the radio and clock work as normal. Different set up from book??

Should have taken GOODJ's advice earlier.