ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Handling

Guys i need your advice please.

What do you expect when driving the cup e.g handling, steering etc. I have had my cup now since last october. I did not know what to expect when driving this car. Dont get me wrong i am very very happy with the car, but sometimes the steering can feel very light and the tyres follow the traction of the road surface which causes the car to pull either side is this normal. I have done the tracking recently and the car feels much more solid. The cup is a very powerful but sensitive car when it comes to steering. Sometimes i struggle to keep the car in a straight line, people must think that i am either pissed or stoned. When i took the car to the local Renault garage they said if you think the cup has sensitive steering try driving the standard 172 the steerings all over the place. Do you 172 and cup owners tend to find your cars sensitive on some road surfaces or is it me being paranoid.

Any kind of advice or feedback would put my mind to rest. I know that the cup once floored in 1st and second gear with huge amounts of torque would be all over the place and i expect that, what i really need to know is what feedback you guys are getting from your cars and how satisfied you are with your cars and steering. Does it mean the faster you go the lighter the steering becomes.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Maybe it depends what youre used to. On some road surfaces it can be a bit of a handful, but generally its fine, and not nearly as bad as some of the FWD superhatches that are out there at the moment.

As for your dealer commenting that the steering is all over the place, I think he must be the one whos either pissed or stoned.

Clios in general, and 172s / Cups in particular handle very well. So should yours.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by RAY 187 on 15 July 2003

Guys i need your advice please.

What do you expect when driving the cup e.g handling, steering etc. I have had my cup now since last october. I did not know what to expect when driving this car. Dont get me wrong i am very very happy with the car, but sometimes the steering can feel very light and the tyres follow the traction of the road surface which causes the car to pull either side is this normal.
Hi Ray, in my experience with my Cup, yes at times it does feel very light - possibly due to the very quick steering and softness of its city-car heritage.

With the wheels following the road yes very much so, I get this ALOT. If you really boot if coming off a nice roundabout you can feel the wheels tram line up the road, choosing their own direction - maybe this is the torque?? - which can be annoying. And on heavily used roads I find the Cup gets its wheels pulled all over the place. The M25 is a prime example of this in certain places, and also on the road that leads back from Bluewater up near the dartford crossing. Ive tried different tyre pressures in the past 5 months, but it hasnt made much difference.

I have done the tracking recently and the car feels much more solid. The cup is a very powerful but sensitive car when it comes to steering. Sometimes i struggle to keep the car in a straight line, people must think that i am either pissed or stoned.
[/QUOTE]
After my accident Ive had my Cup re-aligned 5 times because its so difficult to gauge. It is very hard to keep in a striaght line and I was thinking its the tracking but eventually came to the decision that the Cup pulls left-right and centre! Every tiny little pot hole and divet in the road will throw the Cup around as it weighs practically nothing.

When i took the car to the local Renault garage they said if you think the cup has sensitive steering try driving the standard 172 the steerings all over the place. Do you 172 and cup owners tend to find your cars sensitive on some road surfaces or is it me being paranoid.
[/QUOTE]
Good old Renault eh?! I find my handling incredibly sensitive.

Any kind of advice or feedback would put my mind to rest. I know that the cup once floored in 1st and second gear with huge amounts of torque would be all over the place and i expect that, what i really need to know is what feedback you guys are getting from your cars and how satisfied you are with your cars and steering. Does it mean the faster you go the lighter the steering becomes.
As per my comments above mate. Indeed, floor it in 1st and 2nd and mines like trying to control a raging wild animal.

I use alot of different road surfaces, motorways, citys a-roads and B-roads. On an almost daily basis so hopefully my comments will prove helpful.

Feedback through the steering is very good, and it feels very smooth and very firm. The wheels feel good and theres plenty of all-round grip. Although get it on the patchy stuff and you can struggle with understeer. I find the car basically runs on rails. Soooo much grip its out of this world. Guess thats what it makes it so good.

On a dual carriageway recently, very late @ night, I touched twice the legal limit (+ a bit) in my Cup. I can honestly say..

1. Its very very very fast
2. Its terrifyingly scary
3. Feels light as hell being battered by the wind!

I honestly wouldnt recommend it @ that kind of speed.

Hope that was some help!!! Simon

Simon thanks for the great advice i felt that i was the only one having these problems, one thing when thrashing the car it does feel very dangerous and light . I have also tracked the car around 4 times, thank you mate you have answered all my questions.

Cheers

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Are your front tyres worn?? Some of the characteristics you mention are a result over overly worn tyres!

Just a thought.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

No probs Ray. Pleased to help..

Im on nice new ones at the moment and still get the same issues.

My first set of tyres lasted 6 months. Hehehehe. Backs look like new, gonna have to work out how to wear them out.....;)

nine tramlines more than yours lol but my wheels are wider :p i cant question the handling really of my 172 but it could do to be harder with less roll

996 Carrera

Ive booked the car in to Renault Slough to have this and some other stuff looked at.

Ive been watching for posts on this subject for a while as well. One guy on here had a "bolt snap on the auto tensioner for the PAS belt". He had the bolt and belt replaced and said it improved the handling afterwards.

Ill be giving this info to the dealer when my cars in so they can check this out.

Im also going to ask them to check the tracking when its at the dealers - I had some Eagle F1s put on the front last week and they should have bedded in by now.

Both my front tyres are new aswell, but this has been going on since i first purchased the car, so many other clio cup/172 owners have mentioned this in the past. My renault dealer is sick of seeing me all the time because i am always there, the service manager told me in a rude way just sell your car, because he thinks i am being paranoid, that pissed me right off

monkeymagic

Dont let the renault dealer track your car they will make it worse go to one of these independent garages with the latest laser digital tracking.

996 Carrera

The garage I got the tyres from is just across the road from the dealer - if Renault f**k it up Ill take it there.

Although when I was in the tyre place a bloke walked in saying they put his directional tyres on the wrong way!

Im using this as a test for Renault Slough since the car will be due for its 12000 mile service next month. If Im not happy then Ill go elsewhere, along with my £200 the service will cost. And Ill make sure they know this - ha ha.

ive just put 4 x eagle F1s on the Cup seems to track a lot less now, and def wheelspins less on takeoff. hope this helps..

sounds like torque steer to me, all powerful fwd motors will suffer from this, fun innit :) wider tyres and lower suspension should help!

i agree pep87 on lower speeds the car feels abit sensitive but once you put your foot down it tends to handle alot better