ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio cup trackday upgrades

172 cup
Hi guys,

I did my first track day at Donington on Tuesday in my new 172 cup...great fun battling with my brother in his track prepared 106 GTi!

Car was awesome, plenty quick enough and very predictable. However, I had a few issues with the brakes, got very hot and started to fade after only 3 laps. Also, I've almost wrecked my new road tyres.

So I was wondering, does anybody have any suggestions what pads/discs to upgrade to before next time (I've not got much money tho...)? Also, does anybody know if the old Clio 172 wheels (the model before the facelift, Y reg etc..) will fit my 172 cup because I'm thinking of buying a cheap set to put trackday tyres on?

Cheers.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yes old wheels will fit, and are 15's so cheap tyres! I would get some DS2500 pads, if your on a budget the stock discs are fine imo

Bumblebee
A good set of pads all round should see you comfortably on a track day, and possibly a lesson on braking tecniques/distances. Ferodo DS2500 pads all round should be a nice upgrade. Ferodo discs are always going to be slightly better than the OE ones, however how much better is open for discussion. 4 pots are also an option however you mentioned you didnt have much money.

Clio Sport 172/2ltr Corsa
Dont think the 15's will fit tho mate - Arn't the brake calipers a bit big?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
DS2500s here and they do stand up better to fade.

I had similar issues when I started trackdays last year, the brakes faded very quickly. What I was told to do was brake earlier and progressively, rather than being late and aggressive. This is apparently better as the car is more settled going into the corner and you can carry more speed. And sure enough the brakes dont fade anything like as bad as before, I can stay out for a 15 minute session no problem.

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi Lee, totally destroyed my front discs and pads at Bedford on Friday, so I know where your coming from. Thought I was just getting brake fade until I noticed some quite large grooves in the discs, oh and that horrible metal on metal grinding noise every time I touched the brake pedal gave me a hint that all was not well too!!! :rolleyes:

Good luck with the new pads etc!!!

Neil.P

Brembo Max discs, Ferodo DS2500's, Goodridge hoses and decent fluid will see you right.

You can get MK1 15" wheels cheap which will fit and then you can run 195/50/15 tyres such as Michelin PE2's or trackday specific tyres such as Toyo 888R's or Yokohama A048R's.

Ask Mark Cup as he does lots or trackdays in his 172 Cup.

LOL

:)