ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio dci 86 / 106 differences

Clio grandsport
Hi guys, ive just got my clio dci 86 i want to make it a 106bhp before i get it mapped and decat etc, does anyone know what makes the 106 20bhp more than the 86bhp engine? Ive seen somewhere its just the turbo but are injectors and different cam needed? My dads running the 106bhp model atm and he's said the driveshafts are bigger on that to mine, would i need to change those also?

any help would be highly appreciated

thankyou

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You will be missing a gear too.

Why not just save the aggro and buy a dci 106??

Clio grandsport
oh yeh forgot about the gearbox but i mainly do town driving and A roads so not that much of an issue to me, well thing is i got the car for £3500 off my dad and its a bargain really being on a 59plate and only 18,000 miles so cant really justify selling it to get a 106 but i dont mind spending abit of cash to get near 130bhp as thats my goal.

regards

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh right, then yeah, stick with what you're doing!

You should maybe try the clio dci forum, a lot of knowledgeable people on there.

Clio Campus Phase2
just some info token from the Dci Forum mate!

65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.
Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

Misc -

The reason the Pistons were changed on the dci 100 was due to the extra fuel pressure causing issues with the 65/80 pistons - worth noteing if you plan on changing fuel pressure

The dci 65 and dci 80 turbo is good for 1.5 bar but the dci 65 will NEED an intercooler to reach these sort of figures reliably and really the dci 80 will need a dci 100 spec intercooler at least too!

The turbo repair kit for the all the dci turbos is the Borg Warner KP35 kit
A handy list of turbo part numbers and oval plate numbers which correspond to the mentioned vehicles. These turbo's do fit other K9K variations ( of which there are over a hundred ) the oval plates are just rough guide lines to help you on the Dialogys. The part numbers given are the Borg Warner number ( k series ) and not the Renault part number. The Borg warner part number can be found on the blower housing ( blue / yellow / red badge )

you can find more in the thread below:

http://www.cliodci.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54

regards!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
turbo isnt an easy swap, its a different variable geometry jobby on the 106.

a standard 86/88 feels about the same if not livelier than a 106 around town as it has much less turbo lag, when rolling though the 106 is a good bit quicker, personally the gearbox makes the 106, id be selling up and buying a 106 if thats what you want even with the fact you got your current one cheap.

if not just remap and be happy!

Clio grandsport
First of all thanks for everyones comments, what else apart from a remap, panel filter and decat could i do to bump the power up? as i say im after 130 as that was what my old fabia was standard and would be ok for the missus and abit of power for me. Id say im happy spending a grand now to get near the 130 mark, i think 110 should be possible just with map, decat and filter but the map would be aggressive and high boost and i dont want to put masses of strain on the turbo.

thankyou

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
105hp should be possible on just a remap, more power to be had from decat, panel filter, exhaust etc but gains per £ id just stick to a remap.

side by side with my GT Dci106 my mates fabia VRS was identical, although the fabia feels quicker due to the extra torque