ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio diesel gear ratio's?

406 V6, Race Buggy
Does anyone know what they are, or even the megane 175 dci ones?
Going to need some longer gears in the racer and I'm wondering if a diesel box will do the trick rather than fork out for custom parts.

406 V6, Race Buggy
nm, found some, looks like they're still nowhere near long enough, be setting off in 3rd gear.
Re-think needed!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i can find out what speed im doing in each gear at a set RPM with my 6 speed diesel version of the clio 200 box if you want (cant remember the box code!)

406 V6, Race Buggy
Might help, the few I've found ratio's for are still nowhere near high enough though :(

406 V6, Race Buggy
I need about half that again - 150mph@3000rpm would do it in top gear. Don't think it's going to happen when you say it like that though...:D :eek:

Have to see what I can get diff-wise, if I can get it to the ratio I want then 100@3krpm might just do with a longer ratio on the final drive.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Maybe, certainly doesn't look like I can use the standard box/flywheel/clutch setup from either a 197 or Megane 250 like I was hoping :D
Not unless I can get a 2.4:1 diff made anyway...

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
02M DQB(s3) with diesel final drive(s):

Tyre Diameter = 1765.94 mm
1st Gear = 67.04 km/h
2nd Gear = 108.82 km/h
3rd Gear = 160.29 km/h
4th Gear = 210.53 km/h

5th Gear = 258.55 km/h
6th Gear = 311 km/h

406 V6, Race Buggy
Hopefully going on a worked-over Megane 250 engine or perhaps a saab 2.3t, but I do need massively tall gearing out of the 'box itself, hence looking at diesel gearbox on the petrol motor, something that gave the equivalent of 250mph@6.5krpm in top gear wouldn't be terrible...

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Right well assuming a dci box would fit, you'd be looking at 200mph+ VMAX... How could you possibly want any taller gearing? Especially on a sub-300hp engine.

406 V6, Race Buggy
It's going in a spaceframed car with a 197 shell over the top.

It's going to have to drop down through another pair of diffs (~2.5 or 3:1 roughly) to give it 4wd, hence the need for taller gearing in the 'box itself - I'm trying to avoid packaging a pair of transfer boxes otherwise.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Cheap Safari car, so huge wheels bump the gearing back up a bit after the diffs, aiming for about 120mph top end. But get there as fast as possible :D

406 V6, Race Buggy
Hmm, did want to try to stick to Renault stuff with it being a Clio shell, but it looks like the current RX-8 engine mated to a Mazda 6 diesel gearbox would be perfect...