ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio getting it wrong on a Track Day

silver valver/hybrid
guy called scott, not sure if he is on here but he goes on williamsclio though, its from there recent donnington track day. think he has managed to push most of the dented roof back out!

Lee

BMW M2C
derv said:
guy called scott, not sure if he is on here but he goes on williamsclio though, its from there recent donnington track day. think he has managed to push most of the dented roof back out!

Yup, he's Scott+Zoe on here, there's more pics of it in the media section somewhere.

Mini Cooper S sport
Ooooh s**t. Interesting close up of the gravel and glass.."b****cks" hehe. Glad he wasn't hurt.

Lionel Richie
he wasn't pissed off at all, he took it very well in the pits!!

Scott is going to pull the roof back out, bolt a cage in, and it'll be ready to go again!! (he bought it to use as a track car)

the car cost him £300, not really a big deal

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
1 minute 28 seconds... you see me going around the first corner! hehe

I saw the poor little thing spin and roll just behind me

To be fair i think he looked as fast as he was becasue alot of people were taking it very steady, the track was VERY slippery, i almost spun it on the first corner, think 4 or 5 other people spun it up to when when he crashed, in the first 5 minutes

K20 EG Hatch
did seem well quick, gotta laugh at "b****cks". Gutted for him but if it only cost 300 quid then not too bad.

he could have saved that,he deaccelarated on the corner,causing the back to slip out, he then braked, he should have nailed that throttle to pull it out of that skid, and he would have atleast avoided the gravel.

EP3 Civic Type R
Danlp6 said:
he could have saved that,he deaccelarated on the corner,causing the back to slip out, he then braked, he should have nailed that throttle to pull it out of that skid, and he would have atleast avoided the gravel.

Yeh cheers for that Jeremy Clarkson...

At the end of the day it's all well and good in theory, but what happens in a split second often throws all the theories and your judgement out the window.

Yes in time people learn how to correct mistakes alot easier, but even the pros get it wrong from time to time so trying to say it could of been steered out of is a bit stupid if you ask me.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
I would definatley be in tears if that ever happened to my car without a doubt thats putting me off trackdays seeing that!!

Lucky tho could have been worse and at £300 thats not really too bad when that does go wrong lol

Dave

Strange saying that i was actually thinking then i had my moment, it was like, "i'm going too fast, gotta come off the brakes or i'm gonna spin"......then the back end went and i stuck one turn of oppersite lock on, and again "ok, thats not enough, gonna ahve to go for full oppersite lock"

Strange what you do, i also ended up with my wipers on:eek:

Althoguh i thinbk possibly the worst thing you have done would ahve been to stand on the brakes and effectivly lock up the front wheels, you ahve just taken away any control of the car you had, but as you said its heat of the moment thing.

So Dan, how many track days have you done, and how many times have you been fully sideways or spun, or about to spin in your car then?

Most of the time you are just a passenger

number1 said:
I would definatley be in tears if that ever happened to my car without a doubt thats putting me off trackdays seeing that!!

Lucky tho could have been worse and at £300 thats not really too bad when that does go wrong lol

Dave

Nah, at the end of the day you drive to the limits of the car, if you don't wanna stack it stay back from those limits, esp in the wet

Danlp6 said:

Was my old car this, fastest Valver you will EVER see for £300!

Scott's a good driver and knows what he's doing, but like Fred said (bit like right said Fred that... hehe) it's not an easy course and Donnington being slippy is much worse than being on a normal wet/slippy road, there really is nothing in the way of traction unitl the track has dried out... I never bothered driving it in the wet really for the reasons above and on video, hearing the story from the instructer is better (and funnier), as he was in the R34 and saw the whole thing... he said the Skyline R34 was struggling like a b*****d for grip at the same place on track... that's 4WD car and was going slower... basically he was going too fast and on the wrong line which can throw you off camber... all well and good in practice but there wasn't really owt he could do there.

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
I guess when you see a BNR34, you dont care the consequences, but you ARE gonna overtake it! And... well, he did.... but I think the R34 may have re-took that position...

-Akira

Arctic Blue Clio 182
Dam the rollin part brings back memories lol. Hate seein this happenin to anyone. Rolled my first car and it wasnt too much fun and the car was a total writeoff. Hope he gets the car sorted tho, looked well

Danlp6 said:

Hi mate it was me!!!! :( i wasn't de accelerating or braking i spun coz i dipped the clutch to change up into 4th and when i did the back end stepped ot, with it being my first track day i just didn't know what to do, i turned into the skid but before i could get down a gear and the power back on i was saying hello to my back end at the side of me!!! lol thats what you get for not giving a fook and putting pedal to metal when you don't have a clue what you are doing. I have know straightend the roof out enough to get a windscreen in and the doors to shut properly. just waiting for the roll cage to arrive, in answer to some other questions, it is a 1.8 16v with a k&n open air filter and a k-tec decat and full system, it is pretty quick though. It will be know anyway with no heater matrix or dash etc. i will get a lesson first next time!!!