ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT or Twingo 133

First of all I'm new to this forum so hi. :)

I am looking to buy a new car. I would really want the clio 200 cup but my finances won't stretch that far all things considered.

So - I've filtered my options down to either of the above - Twingo 133 Cup or Clio GT. I do about 50 miles/day - mixed driving.

The Clio GT is a tad more expensive but there's not much in it. Which would you go for and why?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why not get a second had 197? Would get a really good one for the price of either of those new.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If I had to, I'd go for the Clio GT. The Twingo is to small for me, and me and my pals use our cars a lot so I would need the 5th seat. I also think the Twingo interior is gash.

Good point. 0% scrappage and the scrappage scheme makes it a good time to buy new for me. (Whats the mpg like on the 197?)

used 197 sounds great but if its a definate choice between the original two i'd go for the twingo, drove em both and the twingo is a hoot.

its got an RS badge on the back to which in my eyes is worth it (get it cup spec tho)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The GT is great but if you want performance, its gotta be a 197 used. The clio is nice tbh you need to test drive both before you make a decision. I find the Twingo a tad girly for my liking. Just my personal opinion though :)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Twingo same here.

Think the GT looks ok and has decent performance but could see myself getting bored of it tbh.

320d
Definately Twingo imo. Its a Renaultsport model to rather than a high spec Clio which to me is a step up. If I was going for the GT and doing that mileage i'd probably go dci too.

Clio 172 RS2
Twingo RS!

For sure... if you only do 50 miles. The little RS will do just fine.
Okay a cheesy interior but with the Cup pack and that RS engine.

Reet petite!

Clio RS 200 cup chassis
twingo all the way. I had the gt version of the twingo remaped and lowered and it went like a sting. I tryed the 133 and my good it is fast and stick to the road.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Another vote for the Twingo from me. Drive both beforehand and see which you prefer.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im assuming the clio gt dci is the same engine in my dci100 but with a 6 speed box, personally as a mile muncher you wont find a better engine. BUT is it going to be as fun as a high reving 130bhp 1600 16v with VVT, is it f**k

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Some fella on here has an Twingo GT, really nice example, black and yellow iirc. Can't remember who though.

Last edited:
  dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
DSC01362.jpg

Lee

BMW M2C
If your finances won't stretch to a 197 they probably won't stretch to running one eitherunfortunately. They're thirsty buggers. I do similar mileage to yourself and it's starting to hurt again with V-Power back up at 108.9p per litre.

I can't comment on the Clio GT as I've not driven one. Good looking car though.

I drove the Twingo 133 on track at Bedford and loved it. The chassis, steering and brakes are superb, and although it feels under powered compared to my 197 it's still got plenty of poke and makes the most amazing noise for a car like that. It's a proper Renaultsport car.

Pics of the Twingo Track evening: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodstreet/sets/72157607129517148/

2831032473_4a2809eda0_o.jpg

Last edited:
  clio 197 cup
i work for a renault dealer,and we have both as demos.weapon of choice?twingo rs definitely.just read a few road tests for opinions.my daily commute is nearly 60 miles,using a and b roads,and my twingo is nicely loosened up with over 10k on the clock.every drive is an experience,where the clio seems a bit,hmmmmm.......tame.
steve

Clio 172 RS2
Twingo aint made in the RS factory in Dieppe though.

So it's not that special or what?

A little freerevving engine with a special exhaust manifold?
Tweaked suspension (tick the Cup pack box!)

Deep down it's still a true RS...

A sweet little magic box.
If you ever have a change to test-drive, it'll explains itself.

Vava voom!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just saying, it's not made in Dieppe, and it's not hand assembled either like the other RSs

Lee

BMW M2C
Just saying, it's not made in Dieppe, and it's not hand assembled either like the other RSs

That can only be a good thing. Mine was obviously put together by blind men wearing mittens. And painted by the same people!

clio 197 cup
the rs twingo can wear the renaultsport badge with pride.its a terrific drivers package for the money,and on the right roads and driver can embarass more powerful machinery.