ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio knocking noise

Red197

Have a 2002 Clio 172Cup. Going into corners at slow speed there is a bad knocking noise, from the front end. Renault have looked at it, but do not seem to have done much. Any ideas?:confused:

Red197

Na, had one go before, its not a bearing. Its very solid sounding, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

ok errr drive shaft? is it knocking all the time or now and again? does it sound like a wining sound?

My mates dads garage thought the driveshaft was gone. Turned out that bodyshop hadnt tightened the wheel nuts on my off side front tight enough.

Red197

The car driving is 100percent, no noise, very smooth. Until you turn a corner say at 20-30mph with slight bumps. Renault took my car for three days. Gave it back and said problem was fixed, no such luck though. I though it could be the anti roll bar hitting off something. Most things i have looked at but cant see anything out of order.

Ive got a similar problem with my 1999 1.2, the car is fine until you steer right then you can hear a vibrating sound. turns out to be a wheel bearing. Gotta get it booked in.

Black 182 + Recaros

I think Im getting the same problem. Does the knocking occur in sync with the shocker/suspension movements ?

Red197

yeah it does, it only has new shocks last month. Ill check the wheel nuts. thanks for all the suggestions. Ill let ya all know:)

Its not the nuts for me, wish it was badvin. Had 17s on before now back to steel rims. Im thinking if it could be the 17s that caused it? or general wear and tear, covered 48k now. Its gotta be sorted though, because the car is going up for sale Feb!

Have a 2002 cup as well, getting the same sort of noise from my offside front too! It happens everytime i put the full right hand lock down! For instance when i turn p a slight kerb into an incline, or when i was driving up the multi-storey i was driving in today! Got the car booked in for pads, also want them to look at this!!!!

Hope they can find summit??? Very annoying!

Someone tell me if im mile wide of the mark here but isnt this the old suspension strut top mounting problem.

Ive had my 172 done 3 times now, there is a renault official modification for it .

AFAIK they take a grinder the the top mounting (under the bonnet) and grind a bit of the cup away.

Mine is ok at the moment but i expect it to come back, it has done the first two times.

[Edited by casiodan on 01 December 2004 at 8:40pm]

Just remembered another Renault mod as well, they replace a PAS pipe that knocks against the manifold. They did that on my last visit too.

2004 Racing Blue 182

get a garage to check out ur ball joints mate, my valver has just failed its MOT on it, thats what the knocking was, sounds like what u have described!!

-->NV

2.0 175dci rs meggy

Quote: Originally posted by casiodan on 01 December 2004

Just remembered another Renault mod as well, they replace a PAS pipe that knocks against the manifold. They did that on my last visit too.
yes this is the problem on early 172s and cups they have fitted a incorrectly sized high pressure powersteering pipe!! your renault dealer should know about it as it was on a technical bulletin!!

Red197

Car is booked to go back into Renault on Tuesday, will metion some of the points you all have brought up. Checked the wheel nuts its not them. There is no excess movement from the wheels, so dont think its a wheel bearing or ball-joints. Will let you all know the out come.