ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk1 lowering Torsion bar????

clio MK1 1.2
I heard lowering the car is a bit ov a arse due to the torsion bar has any 1 done it who could tell me what the job is like and any tips or tricks???
Cheers:S

Fiesta ST
Might be worth while spraying the ends of the torsion bar (under the dust caps) with WD40 for a week or so before hand in order to make the job a bit easier. :)

S2000
As yours seems to be a 1.2 there shouldn't really be a problem with seized bars etc, but would still be worth giving it a spray of WD40. Really easy to do tbh, just take your time and follow the guide.

J

Jim NM

If that doesn't work soak in penetrating oil leave for an hour or two, Jack up the car both sides , get a brass bar about 12" long, screw a bolt into the end of the torsion bar, tape and pad up around the rear wheel arch adjacent to the Torsion bar to protect it. Get a lump hammer and the bar and give it some one side and then the other until they move off the splines ( on the R5 there is a spacer in the centre, don't loose it.) Not sure if there is one between the torsion bars on the Clio I would assume that there maybe. I tried the socket and bolt malarky and couldn't shift mine. The lump hammer did it for me.

wd40 is the key mate, i used some, i think it was, m8 studding because i couldnt find a long enough bolt. that zeds guide is very usefull.

S2000
^^^ the 1.2/1.4's very rarely seize though as they have a closed torsion bar. If they do seize it's usually in the middle and not out towards the wheel and as the middle is covered on the 1.2/1.4's it's unusual for them to rust all that badly.