ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 2.0 axle shaft keeps getting pushed out of gearbox

Clio MK2 2.0 2001
Hello! New here. For a year now I`ve been fighting the problem, I`m out of ideas now and looking for help. I`ve a Clio MK2 2.0 169 2001 car and I`ve to stick the inner end of right (passengers side in UK, driver side in the rest of Europe) axle shaft back into the gearbox for the fifth time now. The glass in which the inner end goes into with the help of that three-headed thing keeps getting pushed out due to mysterious failure of the locking ring that keeps the glass in place. As a result of glass loosing the gearing with the gearbox, the car doesn`t move at all - one of it`s axle shafts are out.

Not looking to solve the problem here in forum. Please reply only if you`re familiar with the problem, have faced it or seen any links of people having faced it. In general I`m looking for information, or for cases when this has been solved and confirmed. This has to be a known problem, I just haven`t found any usable info around so far.

Clio MK2 2.0 2001
Awesome, thanks a lot!

While googling I found also suggestion to weld that stupid ring in place. Which solution seems to be better with higher survival rate - welding the ring in place or renfort plate?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
As above welding just never holds.

Bolt in renfort plate if your box is a good one. If not buy a 182 gearbox as they already have a bolt in instead of the circlip.