ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 Ph1

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Gold Mk2 Ph1 Clio

Hey guys I have been a public member of the sit for some time now and thought I should create a thread about my car and hopefully recieve some helpful ideas, comments and critiscisms ;)

Ok my Clio is an Mk2 Ph1 model (1998 Grande RN 1.2) which isn't the quickest of cars about but at the moment I love it. The colour is referred to as yellow (lol) but i just say is gold making it rather unique to other similar clios around my area which are commonly black. For me having something different to stand out is best than to follow the crowd!

Onto some pictures of it... and I am by no means an expert with a camera haha :p I took these quickly and hopefully they will give you a good idea of what the overall view of the car is like!

Front:

Front.jpg

Right Side:

rightside.jpg

Left Side:

Leftside.jpg

Rear:

Rear.jpg

(Notice the plastic where the rear whiper is connect is awful faded)

Dash:

Steeringwheel.jpg

Stereo:

Stereo.jpg

Rear Seats:

Backseats.jpg

Overall the car itself is sound i just needs some exterior improvements to make it look a million dollars :cool:

Modifications planned:
1. Induction Kit -currently looking at this one from K-tec (http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=531)

Any comments on this particular one or even a better option/cheaper source would be great!

2. Foglamps for the front bumper - To improve the front appearance
3. Clear Side Repeater Lenses - This will remove that horrible orange and make the car look a bit more modern
4. Silvatec bulbs for the front headlights and side repeaters - again to remove that orange tint

5. Clean up the plastic strips around the car - The black has really faded on some areas such as the rear window wiper block which is GREY now.

Would it be right and saying some black paint would fix these up?

6. Alloy Wheels -This will be last on my agenda to be honest or possibly pick up a nice set of 2nd ones. I am after a spoke style such as OZ Racing Superlegeras

7. Ph1 Sport Headlights (Dual Optics) - I recently just a brand new set of front standard headlights to get the car through MOT but i know dual optics would enchance the appearance dramatically!

8. New front number plate - the current one is very dirty looking so a new one will clean up the front

Thanks a lot for reading guys, this did turn out kinda long but hopefully worth it to hear some of your ideas etc!

Last edited:
  Mk6 Fiesta Zs
same model as mines although my dials are different ? and i have an airbag at the passenger side on the dash ? anyway ... plans sound good. dual optics are a definate imo. improve the front end so much. wheels wise, i'd just keep checking the for sale section on here or ebay. can be some right bargains ! nice base though mate. keep us updated :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Are your dials white? you might have the MTV model or sport then :p any tips on how to improve the appearance of the plastic strips?

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
yea mate. i put those in myself though. look a lot better than the standard ones. i'll try and dig out a pic if you like ? autoglym bumper care. just recently started using it and i'm pretty impressed tbh :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Yeah some pictures would be awesome :D Ill have to look out for some of that autoglym bumper care then. I have only seen the white dials in the mtv and sport models but they do definately look a lot better, i was thinking of looking in the local scrapyard for some of the white dials :cool:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Jewish Racing Gold LOL :cool: one of my friends from work calls it the Golden Bullet :D

Last edited:
  Mk6 Fiesta Zs
Yeah some pictures would be awesome :D Ill have to look out for some of that autoglym bumper care then. I have only seen the white dials in the mtv and sport models but they do definately look a lot better, i was thinking of looking in the local scrapyard for some of the white dials :cool:

no pics on this computer mate sorry. will get some up when my laptops fixed. the bumper stuff you can get from halfords. £9 or something iirc. i didn't actually change the whole dials, i got some stick on lockwood dials from a site a while back. just peel off the black ones and on with the white ones. was pretty easy

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
really? awesome :approve: can you remember which website it was?

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Aw very nice, tidys up the look well! At £14.95 its quite cheap ;)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
haha thanks :D What does everyone think of the rear lights? They came on the car when i recieved it, i know a lot of people prefer the Ph2 lights :S

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Not to keen on them myself tbh. i had some black lexus in mine but eventually changed them to the ph2 ones that i bought last year and neva put in. il sell u the black lexus if u like :p

what plans you got for lowering it? or you gonna wait till u get some alloys and drop it down on them?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=442356

Thats mine not a gr8 thing to look at but u might get some ideas on what u might like to do :p (bigger pics further down thread lol)

Last edited:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I have thought about it, i want 15" alloys so probably no need to lower it. I dont really want to affect the driving of it either with lowering, avoiding pot holes etc constantly would annoy me i think :dapprove:

Flame Red Delight
i have the old 15" alloys off my clio grande for sale mate if your interested there going cheap ?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
ul need to lower it mate iv dropped mine 40mm on 16" Alloys and i can go through pot holes over speed bumps etc no problem. plus it will lok likie a 4x4 >.< i cudda sold u my old ones but i smashed 1 up when i crashed ^_^

it wont affect ur driving either if anything it will improve the handling by making the suspension tht little bit stiffer and less body roll. i noticed that when i lowered mine

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Well lowering is on any of my plans just yet :eek: Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I don't think colour coding the plastic strips would be that good, i think they help breakup the paint a bit

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
many of the same mods as me,
however, rear lights look gash, 99% of cliosport will agree,

get some of the ph2 rear lights,
or even ph2 rear end (ph2 bumper or 172 bumper as well as lights)

and defs get dual optics and fogs for the front, it transformed the look for me,
i colour coded the surounds to make them sit more flush,
id defs recommend it for you, as the black surrounds will stand out alot against that colour.

also, consider rather than tarting up the plastic bits,
just paint them the same colour as the car!
or once again i got the strips from the later ph2 clios.

thats what most of us ph1ers are doin, looks alot tidier,

and of lower it a long way too :D
and get some nice rims.

oops, just rear the above post,
lots of back to black then!

Last edited:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
To be honest after looking at other ph1's with the PH2 Rearlights I am preferring them :D
Hopefully I can pick up some cheap some time from the local scrapyards. I dont really want to colour code the plastic strips as they help break up the paint in my view but i do like the idea of Ph2 Side strips.

But dont the ph2 side strips all say 16v on the bullets? When i think my car is only 8v

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
your preferring the lexus ones??
just theres a big persona that goes with them,
cliosport know it, the police know it, and every other road user hates it lol.

you can get the bullets with 1.2 on them or the blank ones that came on the ph3's
just a case of finding them,

well if you did like them that colour, you can get the ph2 bumpers with the black plastic moulds in them,

just the ph2 bumpers fit the quatre pannel sooooo much nicer than the ph1s

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
rear lights are gash. Apart from that a good base to get modding. I think lowered with a dark colour on some alloys would look lush :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
your preferring the lexus ones??
just theres a big persona that goes with them,
cliosport know it, the police know it, and every other road user hates it lol.

you can get the bullets with 1.2 on them or the blank ones that came on the ph3's
just a case of finding them,

well if you did like them that colour, you can get the ph2 bumpers with the black plastic moulds in them,

just the ph2 bumpers fit the quatre pannel sooooo much nicer than the ph1s

No sorry I mean't I am actually starting to prefer the look of the Ph2 rear lights :cool: They look a bit smarter or something

I'll definately have to look out for a ph2 side strips then and maybe a bumper! I dont suppose you have any pictures of your car?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
get some of the ph2 rear lights,
or even ph2 rear end (ph2 bumper or 172 bumper as well as lights)

the ph2 rear bumper fits the ph1? i might invest then coz i prefer the ph2 bumper :p

on topic: id got for thew ph2 rear lights they look 100% better lol, also if u find some ph2 side strips let me know coz i want to see what they look like :p

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
is it not Y reg onwards ph2s bump strips fit fine, but older than that they have to be modified ? remember reading something like that on here. it's what put me off that idea

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ph2 lights look alot better,

OEM+ is the way forward!

not sure wt year it is, but its only late ph1s that will take ph2 strips,
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=429719&page=5
^ thats the thread of my clio,

its acquired some stickers and dual optics since i last uploaded pics,
and needs some colour coding,

but its the exact same model as yours, (no fogs or anything)
its nearly to how i want it, :D

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
ph2 lights look alot better,

OEM+ is the way forward!

not sure wt year it is, but its only late ph1s that will take ph2 strips,
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=429719&page=5
^ thats the thread of my clio,

its acquired some stickers and dual optics since i last uploaded pics,
and needs some colour coding,

but its the exact same model as yours, (no fogs or anything)
its nearly to how i want it, :D

i cant find the dual optics anywhere taking the piss i fell asleep when some v6 ones were on ebay so i missed them -.-'

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
were they the ones with the starting bid of £75?? if so how much did they go for in the end?

theyre not that easy to come by, gota keep ur eyes peeled for em lol

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Going by my car's reg would the ph2 side strips and rear bumper fit then?

I think i may have some ph2 rear lights sourced though! :cool: Still on the look out for ph1 dual optics :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
your reg is personalised so cant tell,

but if its a 98, id say the door stips wont fit without modding,
pm couzins as he did it to his.

the rear bumper howev is a straight swap.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
i have decided for the mean time to just touch of the side strips and perhaps paint the digits 1.2 and letters RN over in silver to clean them up :cool:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I have found a set of 16" 182 alloy wheels for sale local, would anyone know of a mk2 ph1 with these wheels? I would love to see what they look like

J

jakm15

these are the mods ive done to mine to give you some idea,

Dynamique alloys,
40mm lowering springs,
Front fog lights,
Ph2 rear lights,
Dynamique spoiler
Clear side repeater lenses
dual optics

DSC00118.gif

DSC00067.gif

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
I have found a set of 16" 182 alloy wheels for sale local, would anyone know of a mk2 ph1 with these wheels? I would love to see what they look like

not sure on 182 wheels on ph1s mate. think it would look weird. dual optics are a c**t to find! theres a breakers on ebay thats usually pretty good. username is 'cit-ren' or try cliospares on here? did you get the dials btw?

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Awesome looking car jakm, im definately going to try and get some Dynamique alloy wheels to be honest!

This is my list of top prioritys:
1. Alloy Wheels - Dynamique or maybe multi spoke
2. Fog lamps
3. Clear side repeaters
3. Autoglym bumper care - my plastic trim really needs a touch up

J

jakm15

Awesome looking car jakm, im definately going to try and get some Dynamique alloy wheels to be honest!

This is my list of top prioritys:
1. Alloy Wheels - Dynamique or maybe multi spoke
2. Fog lamps
3. Clear side repeaters
3. Autoglym bumper care - my plastic trim really needs a touch up

cheers . . i would go for the 172 alloys or some oz f1's if i had the choice again.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I wouldnt mind OZ Racing Superleggeras :cool: but its trying to find some 2nd hand, i dont really want to buy new as its just to expensive!

Taking a trip to the local scrapyard today to see about possibly finding dynamique wheels, i think im going to keep my chrome rear lights for the mean time until i get my wheels sorted and the other small things in my list above! :approve:

Oh and i forgot to add, silvatech bulbs for the front headlights/repeaters!