ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio. Non Sport. Progress Diary. (Pic Heavy)

My Non Sport Clio Progress Thread

March 09
I got my car just over a year ago, when passing my driving test. As standard it was a Pearl Black Renault Clio Extreme 4 3dr. 1.2. The only thing non standard was the rear window tints:

DSC00116.jpg

I've always loved cars, so having the opportunity to 'modify' my own car was really exciting! So then I started, with next to no knowledge on the practical side of modifying cars.

The first thing I got was a Pioneer headunit, which a friend fitted for me!:

16052009150.jpg

Then being the typical 'young driver' I got a vibe subwoofer! This I actually fitted myself, laying all the cables neatly down the side myself. My first step in 'upgrading' my car that I did all myself:

DSC_00045-1-1.jpg

Next on my update list was a Powertec Cone Induction Kit. Again installed by myself. (Its only a 1.2 and the extra growl kept me smiling):

18072009002.jpg

Summer 09
Following my success with the audio side of the car, I wanted better quality sound up front. So after doing a lot of extensive research, bought myself some SPL Dynamic 5.25" Component speakers, and a Pheonix Gold 2 Channel Amp to go with. I mounted the Amp to the rear seat of the boot, Installed the component speakers, including laying new wiring through the doors. I was also proud of the result and the fact I installed it neatly all myself:

DSC_00045-1.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

What followed can only be described as embarrassing, but yes I did install footwell neons and interior strobe lights. (Yes its embarassing but it was only a phase and I was experimenting. They've both now been binned!)

mepolice.jpg

August 09
It stayed like this for a while, but then I found Cliosport.net, and a wealth of new information. I had always liked the 182 Alloys, and when a set came up for sale, I couldn't resist. Here's the result (with 5mm spacers to stop them rubbing):

DSC00417.jpg

Then I decided to have a go at colour coding my side bumpstrips:

DSC00569.jpg

October 09
So It stayed like this for a while. The next thing was not so good. Whilst parked in London, my car was broken into, leaving me with a car minus the sub in the boot, headunit gone along with two ipods and a smashed window. Pics:

DSC00451.jpg

Winter 09/10
After this event my car stayed as it was for a while. But I soon started again, with the purchase of a new headunit, an Alpine IDA X100 that again I got from cliosport second hand at a good price:

DSC00996.jpg

With summer coming to an end, two of my 182 wheels were low on tread, so I swapped them back with the standard alloys.

And the car stayed like this for a long time, what with other distractions, the car lost importance to me for a while. It failed an MOT, and the clutch had nearly gone, and I lost faith in the car for a while.

March/April 10
But then as time went by and the weather and stuff improving, I sorted the little MOT bits, and got it through just before Easter. Now it passed, I could start driving again, and soon I was back loving it.

With the clutch still being a pain, after consulting a few threads on cliosport, and following a discussion with James.f who started me off with a guide, I decided over the holidays to change my clutch. With little mechanical knowledge I set about doing so. And following several days of hard work and a lot of question asking, I had the new clutch in and all back together. I was immensely proud of this feat, it just shows with perseverance and the right help an absolute novice can do what many call a 'b**ch of a job'!:

DSC00851.jpg

With my car now back to working fully, and after months of browsing Cliosport, I finally got round to sorting out the exterior.

April 10
First things first, I purchased a set of Second hand VMaxx Non sport Coilovers, again off cliosport, and following the success of the clutch, I set about installing them myself, and again after a lot of persistance and question asking I did it.

After discovering my 182 Alloys needed bigger spacers to fit with the coilovers, I decided to have a go at respraying my Original 15" Alloys. I did them Peugeot Steel Grey and was pretty pleased with them:

DSC00937-1.gif

Following the success of my wheels, I then did my Bullets and Diamond continuing with the Peugeot Steel Grey theme:

DSC00966.gif

DSC00960.gif

May 10
Then my most recent Mod, the addition of a Fat Megane Splitter:

DSC00969.gif

And here's how it stands now (you may have seen them in the media section already but still):

DSC00943edit.gif

DSC00945-1.gif

DSC00965.gif

Next on the list to do:
Im still wanting to sort a few things and have a few Ideas:
-Wheel spacers
-Colour code front/rear bumper plastics
-Sport Grille
-172 Rear Bumper
-Sport Interior
+ A few other bits and pieces

Thanks for reading!

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Looks really well mate, top work, and fair play to you for doing all the work yourself!

Thankyou for your very nice comments :).
The months I spent looking through the cars on here wishing I could have a car even a little bit like some of the ones on here. Now I finally felt that maybe my car might be worth a thread I really appreciate your comments.

Not only is the thread a journey through the changes in my car, but also a journey through my ever growing knowledge. When I think what I knew about cars this time last year, compared to what I know now through the help of this forum and doing things myself to my car, I can't quite believe it myself. Like Before I did my clutch, I didn't even know which bit was the driveshaft, let alone all the other parts!

I've still got a way to go though! And I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but where I've got with my car now, is literally all down to me joining this club, and the very kind help (and patience) of everyone helping me! So thanks again. :)

Yea as above mate. Its just a Renault Megane Splitter.
I got it from a Scrapyard. Just find a Megane, and there's two types of splitter on Meganes, a smaller thin one and the bigger fat one I've got.

I just took it off the megane, payed about £5 for it, then went home and fitted it to my bumper with self tapping screws.

Low!
That looks fantastic, made me want to get on with mine now!! Wish I had some spare cash to buy a few bits and get me going..

Update. May 2010.

Did a lot of work on the car today :)

Old:

DSC00980-1.jpg

New:

DSC01048.gif

Thanks to Jimbo-Clio I now have:
-172 Rear Bumper.
-Renault Sport upper Grille.

And also whilst I was at it I resprayed my rear Diamond and removed my wiper. Still need to sort out the blanking plate properly.

Photos:

DSC01049edit.gif

DSC01052.gif

DSC01059.gif

Cheers for everything today James (Jimbo James that is!) - Mr Standard Clio. lol
Hopefully if I see you again you'll have your cup ;)

Still got a few things on my 'to do' list:
-Smooth rear wiper plastic blanking plate thing.
-Spacers. Defo for the front/maybe back as well.
-Stubby aerial.
-Cliosport stickers
-Sport interior maybe

Thanks for all your comments.

Stagecoach Ticket
Wish this jimbo clio was mate he sounds epic! :cool:

Take it your car got home safe then pandoo?

and James my car looks pish now haha :dapprove:

Update: Sport Interior

May 2010

Bit of an update, got a sport interior today, its all fitted, just need to sort out the wiring connectors underneath.

Anyway here's pics, its from a Mk2 Ph2 172, got it from t-man` on here :)

DSC01210.gif

DSC01206.gif

DSC01208.gif

Thanks, yea I agree.

One slight problem is I need to get the drivers side pretension wired up lol.
The different connections for the airbags and stuff under the seats are quite confusing, seeing as my old seats didn't have any airbags in them.

Got two pairs of FK Hubcentric Spacers on the way as well.

B

bigrich690

car looks amazing, i dont know what it is about it but i'm glued looking at your car "F"in TIP TOP :D

Update: End of May. Spacers

Thanks lol.

Update - End of May
Just for those who are interested, just a little update really, I've now got some FK Hubcentric spacers. 30mm on the Front, and 40mm on the rear.

The front is less noticeable because before I had the spacers, I had to run lots of positive camber in able to stop the tyre rubbing on the coilover adjustment ring. Now I've got the spacers on I've normalised it a bit more, but next step is to get them set up properly and all wheels aligned etc.

Also dropped the rear and front around 1cm as well. (Excuse the dirt!)

Before
DSC01219.gif

After
DSC01233.gif