ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio now starting intermittently

Focus
Hello!

I left my clio with a local garage I trust while I'm in America but keeping in contact with them via email. It had a issue where by it wouldn't start, no immobiliser on, battery and starter fine just nothing when you turned the key.

They have looked at it for a few days and have struggled to get it going, apparently yesterday they went to have another look, and as they pushed it into the workshop and onto a ramp, they turned the key and it fired?! Apparently now it's flashing the immobiliser light once in a while, but a few more turns of the key and it's fine.

Is it looking like a key/decoder issue do you think?

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Never had this problem myself but have read about the earth strap to the gearbox fraying most of the way through so sometimes it is a good enough connection to allow current to turn the starter and other times not. If you remove passenger wheel it should be visible behind the splash guard.

Megane r26
Never had this problem myself but have read about the earth strap to the gearbox fraying most of the way through so sometimes it is a good enough connection to allow current to turn the starter and other times not. If you remove passenger wheel it should be visible behind the splash guard.

Had a similar problem on me dads old espace years ago, intermitant starting till one day it cut out, there pretty cheap from Renault iirc

Focus
Thanks for that guys have passed that on to the garage to check. Apparently it's starting fine now! So strange lol.

Focus
Picking up the car Thursday, apparently it's starting fine now and they've done nothing too it! Mentioned the gearbox earth and they said if it was that it would of push started? Got to say though I'm a bit scared to take it anywhere incase it randomly stops starting again..

Any more ideas?

Focus
Also out of interest, if an earth connection was at fault, would the car still bump start?