ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio on a trailer with tyre rack question

Clio 172 ph2
Currently looking at a BJ Minno or PRJ Minisport as both will just about squeeze into my garage ... but one of them im looking at has the tyre rack fitted.

Bed width is 165mm which just takes a Clio without spacers but then the tyre rack uprights are around the same width so will it be too tight to the wings of the car?

Cant seem to see any pics of anyone else with a Clio on a small trailer WITH the tyre rack.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On a trailer that small I’d personally prefer not to have a tyre rack on at all. That’s a lot of added nose weight when you could just put the wheels in the back of your tow vehicle.

Clio 172 ph2
dont want wheels in my road car so the other option would have to be putting them in the back of the Clio but then that might put the weight too far back?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
How many wheels, just 4?

I don't think it would unbalance the weight too much.

Call it 20kg per wheel and tyre max, 80kg total.

Shouldn't cancel out the 150kg+ of the engine/box in the front.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn’t mind betting that the nose weight limit of that trailer is 80kg. With a 2.0 clio on it - and it will be all the way to the front on a Minno - you’ll be well over.

Clio 172 ph2
cant see anything on either BJ or PRG website saying about a nose weight limit for the trailer. I thought the nose weight limit was more for the car / tow bar?

And surely if PRG sell the Minisport with a tyre rack... the trailer is able to take the weight

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
cant see anything on either BJ or PRG website saying about a nose weight limit for the trailer. I thought the nose weight limit was more for the car / tow bar?

And surely if PRG sell the Minisport with a tyre rack... the trailer is able to take the weight
Those types of trailers are normally purchased by people with caterhams and westfields, not 2.0 clio’s.

there’s a guy in this thread that explains it well;

Clio 172 ph2
Thats the plate from the PRG Mini Sport I'm looking at that has the tyre rack.

Had another look through the PRG website and cant see anything specifying max nose weight? Guess I could call them in the morning.

Screenshot 2022-10-02 at 20.43.07.png

Clio 172 ph2
Those types of trailers are normally purchased by people with caterhams and westfields, not 2.0 clio’s.

there’s a guy in this thread that explains it well;

appreciate it may not be usual... but trying to work out if its impossible.

If its not possible then it sort of changes my whole plan of running a dedicated track car.

Probably should have worked all this out before buying the Clio lol

Clio 172 ph2
Any trailer rental places nearby?

One up here does then for like £40 a day.

Hardly worth buying one when it's that cheap.

yeah a couple but far too inconvenient! Car will be stored long term at my house in Essex but serviced and kept a couple days at a time at my work in Cambridge so having to faff around and drop trailers back and forth or pay for multiple days that the car is at my workshop etc.... nope!!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
yeah a couple but far too inconvenient! Car will be stored long term at my house in Essex but serviced and kept a couple days at a time at my work in Cambridge so having to faff around and drop trailers back and forth or pay for multiple days that the car is at my workshop etc.... nope!!

Yeah that's true.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Brian James micro max. Bed is wider than a lot of small trailers but it still fits in a single garage which is why I bought it. I put spare wheels in the back of the Clio if there’s no room in the van and it’s fine

Clio 172 ph2
I've just bought a BJ C4 Blue. 1.7m bed width. No tyre rack. Should do the job and SHOULD just fit in the garage still (will find out next week!)

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I have a prg minisport 4.2m length from memory. I thought about a tyre rack but it’s a faff and also not very aerodynamic. I just put the 4 wheels in the back of the car and tow it, that has been fine

my tow car is a Skoda diesel estate so not a massive 4*4 and it tows fine, around 35mpg and easily pulls it at 70mph but I just cruise at 60mph and it’s good
Prg are very friendly so give them a ring and they can talk through

Attachments

• FFD0C2FB-44E7-49A9-92B4-BD69C9D71840.jpeg
    FFD0C2FB-44E7-49A9-92B4-BD69C9D71840.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 62
  Clio 172 ph2
Thanks but picked up my BJ 126-2002 C4 Blue today. 1.7m x 3.3m bed. 2.1m x 4.65m overall. Tows lovely (not got the Clio yet)
IMG_8471.JPG

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have a prg minisport 4.2m length from memory. I thought about a tyre rack but it’s a faff and also not very aerodynamic. I just put the 4 wheels in the back of the car and tow it, that has been fine

my tow car is a Skoda diesel estate so not a massive 4*4 and it tows fine, around 35mpg and easily pulls it at 70mph but I just cruise at 60mph and it’s good
Prg are very friendly so give them a ring and they can talk through

Just like you're supposed to then 😂