ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio or civic?

fast one
Hey all im new to site and own a 2002 honda civic type R. I know coming on here your all obviously going to say clio. I fancy a change

Question is, have any of you owned civic's before and how do you compare them to the clio's??

Last edited by a moderator:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Coming from a civic you will miss the gearbox and engine and the build quality...

Clio 172 cup
I have had both and i can safely say the type r was better than my 172 cup at almost everything. Its in a different league

Clios are just a tad cheaper to run

FF Racing Blue 182
i went for the inferno for looks my brother had type r fn2 and boy could it go his mate thought it was quicker than his

GT 86
I came from a Civic Type R EP3 the same as yours to a RS 200. At first I thought the Civic was better and regretted the Civic going however as time as gone by I have changed my opinion and I certainly wouldnt go back especially for a new shaped Civic (might have a look if they bring the rumoured turbo version out though). The Clio handles far better than the Civic and despite what some might tell you is just as quick imo. As for the gearbox I know the Clio is renowned for a fragile gearbox but then the EP3 had its problems which honda would never acknowledge such as the completely crap and non existent 2nd gear when cold especially in the winter.I have to be honest the Clio has taken a bit of getting used to at first it was one of those cars where I just couldnt get comfortable. The build quality on my 200 is just as good as the civic was which at the end of the day all plastic as well, contrary to popular belief I dont think the EP3 were anything special build quality wise.
So if you do change give the Clio a while and Im sure you will be Ok with it, after all it is French and you will learn to love it :D.
Make sure you become a full (paid )up member of the forum mate as well.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It all depends on what you want. If you want straight line speed and solid build, get a Civic. If you don't mind a slightly cheaper build, but want great handling, get a Clio. IMO.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Same as tommy g....ive drove ep3 civics a few times they are fantastic they sound great and the driving position is fab aswell but the clio is more nimble and fun and much more torquey ive never ever lost to a civic type R ever

RB 182 / V6 Touareg
I've Also had both and I would honestly say the clio (182) is better in every way than the ep3.

Really puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
If you go for the civic you will be dissapointed with the daily feel of the car. It just feels like you have to drive the s**t out of it all the time.
sounds weird but this is what i thought.

I have had both and i would take my standard clio anyday over my old standard then supercharged (280bhp)civic

GT 86
If you go for the civic you will be dissapointed with the daily feel of the car. It just feels like you have to drive the s**t out of it all the time.
sounds weird but this is what i thought.

I have had both and i would take my standard clio anyday over my old standard then supercharged (280bhp)civic

He's already got the Civic ;)

Go and drive one yourself. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and which combination suits you best will be down to you not the opinions of a bunch of randoms on an internet forum.

GT 86
Go and drive one yourself. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and which combination suits you best will be down to you not the opinions of a bunch of randoms on an internet forum.

I believe I gave the op a genuine reply, and I do not have a bunch of randoms :D

fast one
Nah i know that, bit i thought maybe someone would of had.both being on here and just wanted some friendly advice lol.

I havent become a full member as havent got a clio yet. I went to view a 172 cup today at a garage looked and sounded lovely but they want what i thought was a lot, 52 plate 102k miles for £2495. Especiallay as ive seen some go for less with less mileage!!

Thanks for everyones input anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is fairly expensive for a Cup of that mileage. Plenty for sale for less on here in the classifieds section :)

Clio tce
I owned twin carb 1.4 16v old style model.

Prefer Type r older style not new fat heavy style....

What condition mileage etc is your type r???

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Nah i know that, bit i thought maybe someone would of had.both being on here and just wanted some friendly advice lol.

I havent become a full member as havent got a clio yet. I went to view a 172 cup today at a garage looked and sounded lovely but they want what i thought was a lot, 52 plate 102k miles for £2495. Especiallay as ive seen some go for less with less mileage!!

Anyways if anyones interested in a possible p/x give me a pm ;)

Thanks for everyones input anyways.

Hes in a dream world asking for that price fella i paid £2850 for mine with 48K on the clock and its mint

MK5 R32
i've not long had my 182, I had one a few years back then moved to a golf ed30, and needed something cheaper...I was thinking of getting a type r since I had already been down the 182 route but after I drove a few I knew the right move was back to another 182. If you do look for a type r just be really careful, there are so many sheds out there :(

GT 86
i've not long had my 182, I had one a few years back then moved to a golf ed30, and needed something cheaper...I was thinking of getting a type r since I had already been down the 182 route but after I drove a few I knew the right move was back to another 182. If you do look for a type r just be really careful, there are so many sheds out there :(

He's already got the Civic , Im not going to say it again ;)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I had a 2005 EP3 for 4 years. Fantastic build quality, engine. Bullet proof for me, only "repair" was two ARB drop links on the last service.

Before that I had a '03 172. (3 years owndership)
Didnt miss the Clio at all once I had the Type R. Honda suspension and ride quality was a world apart.

However, now I have a 2005 Clio 182 Cup.
We've had this two years now and its a great deal better than the 172 I had. Particularly on the suspension, ride quality.
Bit rattly at times, build quality not quite up there with Honda, but the handling is far better in my opinion and it is a lot more predictable than the Civic especially in inclement weather!!!

I get 40mpg on decent runs without really trying. 32mpg plodding around town and a bit of decent runs. 28 mpg short journeys.

I'd say try and lay your hands on a 182 with a few toys on and you'll not be disappointed.
Speed wise - nothing in it.

Swift Sport
I've had 4 Clio Sports and now own an EP3... For me personally the EP3 needs what they call the FRSU (fast road set-up) after that it feels like a Clio on coilovers, but with build quality, a great gearbox and nicer driving position. The Clio is a great car for thrashing about in with especially good economy considering the performance, but overall the Honda has it licked. IMO.

Swift Sport
I thought the whole thing about a fun hot hatch was rev hungry engines?? Maybe people should try diesels out for size...

Evo
lol at people slaggng off Vtec engines, its not exactly like the clios have 180lb/ft at 3000rpm!

Never owned anything not french but been in a few civics, seem identical to clios on the straights but clio has better chassis ;)

Civic Type R
I have had 3 Clio's, two 182's and a T. The Civic is a better all round car, and feels much more grown up. The Clio is more fun.

I wouldn't go back to the Clio now, Roy speaks sense, the Honda engine and box is in a different league.

Evo 5 RS
There's literally nothing in it. Unless you've been to Abby Motorsport for a SC. Then they're actually slower. True story

Swift Sport
...Not to mention the Honda's fully independent suspension, I've heard that they're seam-welded too.

I thought the whole thing about a fun hot hatch was rev hungry engines??

Not necessarily. I'm rolling near as makes no difference 400lb/ft, and its fun. Although it still pulls maximum boost to the red line.

Anyway, I was just lolling at someone in a Clio seemingly berating a Honda for having no torque.