ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio or civic?

clio 182 sport
if i had to have a civic type R it would have to be the EK9 never see many about or hear much about them tho .......

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
if i had to have a civic type R it would have to be the EK9 never see many about or hear much about them tho .......

Epic little cars, but you really do have to thrash the s**t out of them to go anywhere as they are so shy on torque due to being a 1.6, only around 120lbft

clio 182 sport
Epic little cars, but you really do have to thrash the s**t out of them to go anywhere as they are so shy on torque due to being a 1.6, only around 120lbft

Yea they are epic :) i think thats part of the fun tho isnt it?? having to thrash it everywhere and have fun in them, i dont think bhp and torque is everything, yeh its great to have it but its all about having fun at the end of the day and bein a little bit different, i wouldnt ever bother with the ep3 because everyone has them ..... think my next car tho is most likely to be a dc5, just love them!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yea they are epic :) i think thats part of the fun tho isnt it?? having to thrash it everywhere and have fun in them, i dont think bhp and torque is everything, yeh its great to have it but its all about having fun at the end of the day and bein a little bit different, i wouldnt ever bother with the ep3 because everyone has them ..... think my next car tho is most likely to be a dc5, just love them!!

Depends what you are using the car for, certainly on a trackday I like revvy cars, same for hacking down a b road, less so for a long drive down sweeping open A roads and motorways though.

Thats the thing I love about our 172, its great fun on track or down a b-road, but its also very easy to live with as a daily or long distance driver.

172, Focus
DSCF0227.jpg

Having owned both I have to say Clio for me.
Clio comfier to use everyday (at least on my local roads)
Clio shedloads better on fuel.
Clio has more gizmos.
Clio has more to give low down in the rev range
Clio very understated.
Civic has the build quality but then again my 172 has never fell to bits.
I respected the Type R but never loved it, long live the clio 172!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I really want to love the civic but everytime ive driven one ive felt underwhelmed, shame.

FF Racing Blue 182
I really want to love the civic but everytime ive driven one ive felt underwhelmed, shame.

never drove the ep3 but had a shot in my brothers fn2 and it felt quicker than my 182 but the inside was just horrid that dash and rear spoiler and not to mention the silver petrol cap

i know the clio is cheap looking inside but you know what your getting when you buy a clio

Swift Sport
It's CS, traffic-light GP capital of the Internet forums... It's what Clio's spend most of their time doing, so they should be good at it.

Swift Sport
I've owned a LCR and still lay claim to it being the worst car I've owned. It's the epitome of dull and everything a hot-hatch shouldn't be.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what Clio you're debating mate.

I'd take a 172 Cup every time over a CTR, but that's personal preference.

People yack on about the EP3 build quality & yeah it's better than the 1*2's IMO but I know a fair few people who've had issue's with Civics as well..

Drive one see what you think would be my best advice.

Personally think the 197's & 200's are a better alround car but that's why I own one.

0-60 means very little. Mainly because traffic light GP's are for losers (IMO) but also because any comparison of cars within a second of each other's quoted times, just means the winner will be the least mechanically sympathetic. You need to BATTER the clutch and gearbox to even come close to most manufacturer claims. Not to mention that there is more to a car than how fast it is, but that's a different subject.

Real world, the Clio and Civic are pretty even in terms of performance, as are pretty much ALL hot hatches.

Clio 200
Hey all im new to site and own a 2002 honda civic type R. I know coming on here your all obviously going to say clio. I fancy a change

Question is, have any of you owned civic's before and how do you compare them to the clio's??

I ordered a new style Type-R when they first came out, to replace the previous model, which in turn replaced the original Type-R, when they first came out. Big mistake.
I loved the first two – they were basic, but really great fun. I guess I was seduced by the latest model – all the extras, crazy dash, performance on paper, etc.
It was nowhere near as involving as the first two. The engine revved for ever, but I found I ran out of road long before I could get through the gears. The digital dash in the end annoyed the hell out of me, as did the ridiculous rear spoiler, lack of wash/wipe, which ruined any rear visibility.
I traded it in within 12 months for 197 with cup chassis, which brought the smiles back to my face from day one. So, so much more fun.

It was as result of my last Type-R disappointment that, having seen the 'features' of the new RS Clio yet to be released, I rushed to order one of the very last RS 200s, which I've had for a month and a half. So glad I did – I can enjoy the Renaultsport experience for a few more years now!

So, that's my personal experience. Of course everyone has their own views/opinions.