ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio performance compared to others

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Tbf in this modern age clios are slow.. an average family saloon has similar performance. However there is just something about them and the way they rattle .. i mean drive 😅

Just my view on the subject, a friend previously had a BMW m335 diesel thing which he had mapped to give about 700torques (n/m or ft/p whatever one is the most realistic measurement) and off the line it was equal to about 20 (on account of his traction) then He'd get away about a length as a half, then with each gear change from me till around 85 he would edge a half car length or so until he was about 5 lengths in front and would just disappear.
But over some lovely B roads with bumps and crests and hairpin bends I was right on his tail lights and even having to slow my self down to avoid going into him such was my clio's ability to corner compared to his car.
Clio's are pretty quick little cars and on a B road they will surprise plenty of people in their executive saloons and alike. But if the person in his 335i or s4 has a basic understanding of how to drive his car they will get away from the average clio driver a lot of the time. Torque and turbos and in some cases 4 wheel drive will out do n/a and a brilliant chassis on a lot of the roads in the UK.
But I'd rather have something made by Renault sport over most things available.

Clio 197
I own a 172 and a new 330d, the BM is a master piece of engineering and yes it's a bit heavy and the back end likes to flop out (no xdrive) but the 8 speed auto box is amazing. 0-60 5.4 seconds and it just pulls and pulls. My friend and I were playing a few weeks back, he owns a golf R and he was amazed that I pulling on him from 20mph rolling start up to 60mph rolling starts. We must have done around 10 different scenarios and he didn't beat me once.
I love both but there's only 1 I'd take on the track and it's not German!

With reference to racing diesels I find they pull and gap almost instantly but then the Clio edges back high up in the rev range usually when they are changing gear. Annoyingly with a loud exhaust it sounds like you are thrashing the tits off the car which is sort of embarassing tbh.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Ok , abit more than a family saloon but had the pleasure of this for a few days .. E class AMG Derv .. for a big old bus it really impressed with its control and performance. Other than on the tightest of tracks it would would destroy a standard cliosport
IMAG2211.jpg
IMAG2196.jpg

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
What a horrible car that merc is, Alloys from Halfords?
Yep they look to small on it and the styling is all over the place on the front .. but as a driving machine it was superb.
IMAG2195.jpg

Clio 197
With reference to racing diesels I find they pull and gap almost instantly but then the Clio edges back high up in the rev range usually when they are changing gear. Annoyingly with a loud exhaust it sounds like you are thrashing the tits off the car which is sort of embarassing tbh.
If you're not thrashing the tits off a Clio, you're not driving it properly

182 Trophy
That Merc and a lot of other big saloons probably weighs close to 2 tonne. Yes they are much more powerful and have lots more torque and will leave you for dust on a motorway drag race...but they will not feel as responsive and change direction as quickly as a Clio when the road gets rough and bumpy.
The Clio is by no means the fastest car on a B road but its relatively low weight and great chassis make it a fun car to drive. The fact it has 'only 180bhp' is great - because you have to rev it and drive it hard to make fast progress!

What's the point of having 500 bhp and only using it 1-2% of the time? Yes it feels good to be faster than most other cars on the road but, for me personally, I like to work the engine hard and be able to use more than 2 gears on the road without fear of losing my licence.

The Clio is 'just' fast enough for the road to have fun!

Just found out a Clio in the wet at Snetterton is faster than an m3, radical, subaru's, porsche 911 turbo, intergra etc LOL

What I've taken from the day is that a Clio is sublime to drive on track in the wet. SUBLIME

No mods just rainsport tyres and uprated engine mounts (think I need an upper gearbox mount as im still getting banging exiting 2nd gear turns)

Stripped rear also and I left the ESP on. Sport model so Abs also.

RB Clio 182
Have you got the updated dogbone mounts?

I have rainsport 3's and they are awesome in the wet. Are yours rs3's?

Purple dogbone mount and vibratechnics drivers side mount.

Yeah they are rainsport 3's. Im so impressed as it was my first time on track in years and also at Snetterton where I've never driven before in the pouring wet.

By the end I was almost driving as if it was dry. One corner was immensely slippery in the wet: the tightish right hander before the longer right hander that leads up the main straight......tgat was VERY slippery!

This was towards the beginning as I was learning the track. Got LOADS of good footage but laptop cable is fubared so did this instead. Quick little vid following an m3