ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio ph1 172 idle problem

Ph1
When i turn the key the idle drops straight to about 400 rpm and then basically stalls.

Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold although when the engine is hot its usually more intermittent. Car drivers 100% fine when warm although when cold rev counter needle plummets between gear changes rather than gently dropping.

Tried:
Two different coolant sensors
Different coil pack
Cleaned the TDC sensor
Cleaned ISCV

Anyone have any idea's what else to try or what it could be?

Ph1 172 + 106 GTI
I am getting this too, i am going to try cleaning the throttle body like Danny had suggested before trying any sensors or that

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Had similar recently, cleaning the ICV made little to no difference. New ICV sorted it. You can drill out the rivets holding the ICV into the plastic housing bit, and buy a laguna or similar item (just the moving electrical valve) from eBay etc-then fit into the ICV housing of the ph1.

A Replacement ph1 actual ICV unit was mega bucks! Search idle control valve replacement, or along those lines and someone suggests what I've mentioned above and possibly even a part number.

Ph1
Had similar recently, cleaning the ICV made little to no difference. New ICV sorted it. You can drill out the rivets holding the ICV into the plastic housing bit, and buy a laguna or similar item (just the moving electrical valve) from eBay etc-then fit into the ICV housing of the ph1.

A Replacement ph1 actual ICV unit was mega bucks! Search idle control valve replacement, or along those lines and someone suggests what I've mentioned above and possibly even a part number.

Thanks for the info mate. Iv got a cannibalism 172 ICV which i took apart years ago so might be worth a go knocking something up.

Ph1 172, Leon cupra
Yeah give it a go, symptoms sound exactly like ICV. I just got the valve linked in the thread, drill out 2 rivets, fit new valve and use 2 small bolts to secure it.
I did have to play with the new valve piston position a couple of times, I.e adjust how far in or out it was set before bolting into the housing, to get it working (I assume it couldn't fully close and/or open when it was not right)

Clio
I had this read loads of threads , changed coilnpack, spark plugs, map sensor, ...wiped codes,

i got a different throttle body, changed it yesterday, runs 100 times better, no stalling or bad idle wen start it up, no stalling at traffic lights :)