ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Road tax

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
£200 for insurance and over £300 car tax for a 172 cup
Don’t agree with this tax law lol

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
My cup done 300 miles last year and wife’s KA done 10k and hers his free lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My 2 daily cars cost me less than £300 to insure the pair and nearly £1000 to tax them both. Absolute joke.
Should just bin RFL altogether and put a few pence on fuel duty.

how is it fair a rep can do 30/40k a year in a golf with £30 a year tax but I have to pay £609 to tax a car I might do 2000 miles a year in. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
My Merc is £475 a year to tax due to the complete con that is the £40k rule! Obviously my clio cost as much to tax as it’s worth! So I’m £800 a year pretty much. Hence why I don’t tax the clio until I drive it.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just get some plates made up for one in the same colour that’s taxed, motd and insured. Saves hassles such as speeding fines, parking tickets etc. Well worth the 30 quid

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ah yeah good plan... :unsure:What's your plate again? 😂

you’re welcome to it. Sorn, no insurance and mot expired in 2017 🤣🤣. The black one I pass on the way to work however....

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I don't know about anyone else, but I would mind paying extortionate road tax sums if I was driving on lovely smooth tarmac everywhere.
However it seems im paying over 1k in road tax per year to have my suspension ruined by the state of the roads.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Wonder what will actually happen with the EV’s and what not to make up for the tax shortfall in say 5-10 years, maybe they will just double our tax, assuming everyone’s favourite french hatch hasn’t rusted away somewhere. I know they talked about a pay-per-mile model, let’s see what happens with that!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Once the bulk of people are moving to EVs they will just up the tax on them like they did with phevs in the £140 change.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My 2 daily cars cost me less than £300 to insure the pair and nearly £1000 to tax them both. Absolute joke.

how is it fair a rep can do 30/40k a year in a golf with £30 a year tax but I have to pay £609 to tax a car I might do 2000 miles a year in. 🤷🏼‍♂️
This - exactly this. The whole system is flawed and makes little sense. Ideally we’d pay no tax, but I understand the reasons why we have to. Therefore, you pay for your proportion of time spent on those roads and a few pence on fuel duty seems the most logical and easiest solution?

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
Drove on some perfect roads back in Italy a few years ago. They were kept virtually pristine by the church/Vatican or something I was told.

Funded by tolls as you entered. Not sure how much it cost though 🤔

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member

Been saying the same for years (y) makes total sense, you use more fuel, pollute more thus get taxed more. If you have a super efficient car or an EV you pay loads less. If you have a gas guzzling fleet but use them for no millage you don't get hit.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
there’s a few countries moved to a model based on vehicle weight. That seems to make sense to me. My 2 cars are a 3.0d 5 series estate that weighs the same as the moon and costs £165 a year, the other is a french bean tin that weighs less than a chicken and costs £305. Totally backwards, surely the 5 series bouncing down pot holes is gonna do much more damage to the roads than the Clio

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My Merc is £475 a year to tax due to the complete con that is the £40k rule! Obviously my clio cost as much to tax as it’s worth! So I’m £800 a year pretty much. Hence why I don’t tax the clio until I drive it.

Doesn't that drop to a more reasonable rate after a few years?

My Cayman is £565 a year forever + whatever increases happen year-on-year!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't that drop to a more reasonable rate after a few years?

My Cayman is £565 a year forever + whatever increases happen year-on-year!
Yeah when the car is 5 years old, but I won’t be owning it for much after that due to the wanky cash for cars work scheme. It’s annoying, but knew I was going to have to pay it when I bought the car. So just factor the cost into my running cost calculation.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
there’s a few countries moved to a model based on vehicle weight. That seems to make sense to me. My 2 cars are a 3.0d 5 series estate that weighs the same as the moon and costs £165 a year, the other is a french bean tin that weighs less than a chicken and costs £305. Totally backwards, surely the 5 series bouncing down pot holes is gonna do much more damage to the roads than the Clio
I don't think they will push for that model over here until some eureka moment occurs with the weight of batteries.

For example, a Renault Zoe weighs nigh-on the same as an Evo VI - which includes parts like multiple diffs and a four-wheel drivetrain. Although clearly a premium car (and thus less likely to concern to owner in terms of expense) - wasn't that new EV Porsche something like 2.6tons in weight?

I'd assume the issues would hit the mainstream market harder. Like the entry level Corsa. Like for like, the EV version is likely to be a fair lot heavier than it's basic ICE sibling - which is in itself, going to be really quite frugal to begin with. People would do the math and think such cars wouldn't be worth the hassle compared to a 'light' petrol engined equivalent.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
£300 tax for a 172
£260 tax for a Diesel Megane
£1200 insurance for both

Clio is decated and the Megane will have its cat knocked out and the same with the DPF. f**k Greta, she can suck my great grandads pubey arse

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think tax per mile is the way forward. First calculate using price brackets for how polluting a vehicle is then that's your cost per mile.

A weight idea would attract controversy as it would differ depending on how many people are in the vehicle.

Putting pence on fuel would just do tax exempt vehicles disservice.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I remember when your road tax actually went into fixing the roads not sure where it goes now? but I agreed over £300 for a Cup is ripping the pish!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The EV thing is a future problem that will be solved.

The real concern is all the old cars on £550 tax, or even anything over £200 really, that aren't desirable but are bloody good cars. They are just getting scrapped, it's a crime, such a massive waste.

There won't be a lot of 2006-2017 cars left in 10 years time, compared to the mass of late 1990s to 2006 stuff that hangs around.

Edit: This is what the gov wants though, new car sales keep the economy moving.

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Europe is the only place in the world that sniffed something and decided that diesels were the future. They certainly produce less CO2 than petrol, and so they single handedly decided that was the factor.

Bought my dad a Nissan Note 10 years ago, with those Renault 1.5 diesels in them. Because it did 119g of CO2 per km, it was £20 a year. This contrasted to my S2000 I had at the time, 239g of CO2 (so not even double), which was teetering on £500 back then. I think it's teetering on £600 a year these days.,

Despite the fact the diesel produced 10 times the amount of NoX and stuff that'll actually kill you, but hey ho.

As said above, there will be black hole between 2006 to 2017 where certain cars hit that horrid tax bracket. Cayman S's from 2005 have a slight premium over 2006 because of that I think? It's cheaper to get a Mustang from 2017 onwards because of this, and I think as also mentioned before, lots of hybrids are now more expensive.

Calling it road tax is so ingrained that we think it's for the roads. Its Vehicle Excise Duty. What we pay to be allowed to use the cars. People who say politics doesn't affect their daily lives will then make car purchasing decisions based on these sort of taxes, so they kinda do.

Anyways, I'd imagine most BEV's will have computers and stuff which track locations and everything, so there's very little to prevent things like mileages being quite accurate, which I would presume is how taxes will be collected from them.

The alternative is to keep them expensive and thus rake in the VAT maybe?

My thought has always been in 10-20 years, the batteries in cars will become the latest environmental problem as they realise how crazy polluting removing/recycling/reusing them will be and the scary thing is that car manufacturers are starting to go all in on batteries so there may be no way back.

RB 182 FF
I'm hoping hydrogen fuel cell will take off - personally far prefer it to battery EVs and would mean tax could still be put on fuel rather than by the cars recorded mileage. Some might argue that would be an invasion of privacy - government having access to the computers in the cars that know where you are/have been. I like the idea of basing it on mileage with categories for different cars but that could be difficult at petrol stations (if it were on fuel), unless I suppose you just provide the reg plate. Maybe it'll become like young drivers insurance where you fit a black box and its cheaper but if you refuse its crazy expensive!

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
It's super weird how hydrogen has been slow in the takeup. You essentially could just use electrolysis on water to get Hydrogen and Oxygen, there was that Richard Hammond show on Amazon Prime that literally did this.

I mean, given there's an intent somewhere to convert gas to hydrogen for house boilers, it seems weird that this hasn't had more of a concerted effort.

Are there still people around who remember the Hindenburg Disaster or something?

RB 182 FF
Maybe, but James May just sold his Toyota Mirai because there's still only 11 hydrogen filling stations in the whole of the UK. Apparently Japan and Germany have far more but its just an infrastructure thing we need the government/private corporations to invest in in this country before the cars can really take off.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's super weird how hydrogen has been slow in the takeup. You essentially could just use electrolysis on water to get Hydrogen and Oxygen, there was that Richard Hammond show on Amazon Prime that literally did this.

I mean, given there's an intent somewhere to convert gas to hydrogen for house boilers, it seems weird that this hasn't had more of a concerted effort.

Are there still people around who remember the Hindenburg Disaster or something?
Its not using the hydrogen which is the hard part

Its storing the fuel, the conditions have to be perfect for it not to blow up or set alight😂 I mean can you imagine a f**king Hydrogen bomb Nissan Juke, some women driving Jukes would manage to set fire to diesel nevermind hydrogen😂