ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Rs 200 EDC or Megane 265

VW Polo
I am about to purchase a new Clio but my eye was drawn towards the megane 265, the price of a 2013 megane is almost the same as a Clio. Has anyone gone from the megane to the Clio EDC or vice Versa (for some reason). Is the megane by far a better car, or is the tech in the new Clio worth going for.
Thanks in advance.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Id be going for the meg. 100%.

If they are the same price then theres not a chance in hell id pick the EDC over a 265.

VW Polo
Does it not feel much bigger and heavier? I love the idea of the new tech in the Clio, bump stops, paddles and the barps on the up and down changes. Still not worth it over the megane?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Any pics of a new clio and a 265 beside eachother? Im going to bet theres not much between the 2 size wise..

2.0T > 1.6T also ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Megane and a fruity exhaust for me. Does it have Recaros? :eek:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Seen that thread earlier but didnt see the pics!

Looks like i was correct :p

za5a8u5a.jpg
sa8a8e9e.jpg

Meg looks a million times better too

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looking for a fun hot hatch, country lanes, trackdays, what else do people buy renaultsports for?!

They don't buy them for an automatic transmission that's for sure.

Oh look, you've answered your own question.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I think both look great. I'd go for the Megane though, no doubt.

Off topic but does anyone know how tuneable the new clio is?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'd be inclined to ignore the responses on a forum from people that'll largely be talking from their impression of the cars and reviews they've read.

Go drive both.

You may very well find the Megane is better, but at least you've tried both for yourself.

A sporty DCT box is a pro rather than a con, IMO. That's from my experience with other DCT equipped cars rather than the 200, mind.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be inclined to ignore the responses on a forum from people that'll largely be talking from their impression of the cars and reviews they've read.

Go drive both.

You may very well find the Megane is better, but at least you've tried both for yourself.

A sporty DCT box is a pro rather than a con, IMO. That's from my experience with other DCT equipped cars rather than the 200, mind.

A decent DSG for me is much better than a manual, the Clio one has proved to be average at best.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
A decent DSG for me is much better than a manual, the Clio one has proved to be average at best.

That's fair enough. My local dealer hasn't had one yet, so not had a chance to drive one.

I still think cars are subjective and the OP ought to just drive both.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Go drive both.

Not really fair to assume that is it? How do you know that none if us have driven one?

More to the point, who are you to tell me whether I prefer auto or manual?!

If I was buying a family saloon car with a big armrest, I'd have auto every day. For anything else, I prefer to change gear myself.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not really fair to assume that is it? How do you know that none if us have driven one?

If I was buying a family saloon car with a big armrest, I'd have auto every day. For anything else, I prefer to change gear myself.

I've driven one & can confirm the gearbox is indeed sh*t - Thanks for reading.

Nissan 350z
They are both different cars aimed at different people. If your lifestyle doesnt require a 5 door auto, then the Clio is irrelevant if for the same price you can have the Megane.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've driven one & can confirm the gearbox is indeed sh*t - Thanks for reading.

I haven't even bothered driving one! I was all set to get another brand new one on pcp. On paper it was perfect for the wife and kids; 5 doors, quite small, fast, could still take it on track.... Wait a minute, it's an automatic???

No thanks.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I think if we are fair we'd say they are both different cars, but the Megane is faster, better looking, has a proper gearbox, is more comfortable, more practical, this is all IMO ofcourse but I imagine most would agree.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy

I didn't say no one has driven one, I said the majority will be going by reviews and the fact they don't personally like the idea of the dual clutch box. Which will almost certainly be the case.

I've not told anyone that they prefer auto or manual? What gives you that idea?

Last edited:
  Suzuki Jimny
I bet the clio would be more fun on a small country lane though. From what i've read the megane is so good that you need to be doing well over the speed limit to have fun, where as the clio would be enjoyable at lower speeds.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd consider the Clio...it's got 200kgs (or thereabouts) less than the Megane to lug around and on country roads/trackdays, that matters.

As said though, drive them both, decide yourself.