ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS200

Hey guys.

I am now looking at picking myself up a Clio. The model I am after is the RS200 11/12. My family have always had Clios and I have always been a fan.

My main question is: Just how harsh is the Cup? I drive mostly city driving on decent roads, but I also travel the UK and Europe for work/pleasure. I am concerned at just how hard the ride is? Basically, Cup vs non-Cup.

Also any general advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Get a standard car specced with the cup chassis, not an actual cup.

you will s**t yourself at the harshness at first, but then you'll get used to it and love it.

also try and spec recaros, they're epic

clio 200 specced with cup chassis

5ShowinUp.jpg

colour coded bump strips and gloss black mirror caps show it's a standard car (not a cup)

Red brembos brakes show it has the cup chassis

Clio 200 cup

Picture550.jpg

Black plastic bump strips and black plastic mirror caps.

The standard car has the nicer interior and more toys

where are you based?

Last edited:
Get a standard car specced with the cup chassis, not an actual cup.

you will s**t yourself at the harshness at first, but then you'll get used to it and love it.

also try and spec recaros, they're epic

clio 200 specced with cup chassis

5ShowinUp.jpg

colour coded bump strips and gloss black mirror caps show it's a standard car (not a cup)

Red brembos brakes show it has the cup chassis

Clio 200 cup

Picture550.jpg

Black plastic bump strips and black plastic mirror caps.

The standard car has the nicer interior and more toys

where are you based?

The standard with cup chassis looks a lot better imo. Thanks for the info it is great!

One question, is the spoiler on it standard?

Also, I am based in Central Scotland.

Edit: One more question, say I was to get the standard car without the cup chassis. I am assuming it will still be a very fun drive?

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
Cup chassis is firm!! Your feel every bump in the road. If your the kinda guy that would put coilovers on his car and enjoy the benefits they bring then go for it. I personally wouldn't advise anyone buy a 200 due to its obvious downfalls but then again my requirements of a car have changed massively in the last couple of years. For an everyday car I'd choose a pokey diesel and ideally have something mental for the weekends, the 200 caters to neither of these requirements.

That said I spent the day raging the 200 about and really enjoyed it, but that's the only time the cup chassis makes sense to me.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sadly spoilers were options, so if you want a cup spoiler

clio197whitecup048.jpg

you need to make sure you find a car with one already fitted! or one with no spoiler so you can retro fit it.

the ones with a gt spoiler require a different tailgate altogether so you can't fit a cup spoiler

id assume so, but when you're spending so much on a car! why wouldn't you go all out, thats why I went for an r27, it's a 197 with the cup chassis and recaro seats as standard, and they were available in yellow... So it saved me time finding the right spec

200 Cup is spine shattering on poor surfaces.

I'd be tempted to go non-Cup, but be aware that the Cup also has a quicker steering rack.

On the odd occasion I have a non saddo in the car, I find myself apologising at every bang and every time the passenger gets their head twitted off the window

That may cause a problem as I regularly drive family and friends who are not into cars at all.

RB 200
Go for the 200 cup with the cup chassis, its still good and I doubt you'd notice the difference everyday on normal roads between the two.
Quite uncomfortable in the back whichever one you go for if you're bothered. Spoiler looks crap IMO.
Whatever you go for, you'll love it and the remarks you'll get about it make it more than worthwhile.

Oh, and don't expect to see more than 25 MPG!

Probably being an idiot, but due to the car being black I am having trouble making out if the bump strips are colour coded and if the wing mirrors are gloss or plastic.
It is the car I am going to see this Saturday. The advert states it is RS200, but does not mention Cup, but it has red brakes which you said were on the Cup/Standard w/ Cup Chassis.
It also has what I believe to be Recaros (basing off google as I have never seen them irl).

Only thing missing I think is the spoiler, but it is not that important to me, I like it with and without. Probably more without tbh.
HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

Thats a standard RS 200 with a cup chassis mate. Nice!

I'd never rush into a purchase, but I may get lucky first try :p

Another question I have after doing some searches on google, how do you connect your iPod to the stereo? Everyone seems to make it sound impossible.
If it helps, I already have a FM transmitter that works via the cigarette lighter.

RB 200
If you don't fall in love with it within the first five seconds of seeing it, then its not for you. Although you will do, like I did.
I got an itrip off ebay that just plugs into the bottom of the ipod, this jams whatever you're playing to a free frequency on the radio. No leads!

If you don't fall in love with it within the first five seconds of seeing it, then its not for you. Although you will do, like I did.
I got an itrip off ebay that just plugs into the bottom of the ipod, this jams whatever you're playing to a free frequency on the radio. No leads!

Will have a look, cheers! My one does the same, but it is powered by the cig lighter.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Go for the 200 cup with the cup chassis, its still good and I doubt you'd notice the difference everyday on normal roads between the two.
Quite uncomfortable in the back whichever one you go for if you're bothered. Spoiler looks crap IMO.
Whatever you go for, you'll love it and the remarks you'll get about it make it more than worthwhile.

Oh, and don't expect to see more than 25 MPG!

double cup chassis ftw

and I'm seeing 28mpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Probably being an idiot, but due to the car being black I am having trouble making out if the bump strips are colour coded and if the wing mirrors are gloss or plastic.
It is the car I am going to see this Saturday. The advert states it is RS200, but does not mention Cup, but it has red brakes which you said were on the Cup/Standard w/ Cup Chassis.
It also has what I believe to be Recaros (basing off google as I have never seen them irl).

Only thing missing I think is the spoiler, but it is not that important to me, I like it with and without. Probably more without tbh.

Standard 200, cup chassis, recaros, Bluetooth and digital climate control :) very well specced car

has cruise control and speed limiter but I think that comes on the standard 200s

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd never rush into a purchase, but I may get lucky first try :p

Another question I have after doing some searches on google, how do you connect your iPod to the stereo? Everyone seems to make it sound impossible.
If it helps, I already have a FM transmitter that works via the cigarette lighter.

Ive done a how to guide with pictures, but you need to be a paid member to view it.

ive also fitted pikey bluetooth. Looks oem but doesn't pick up your voice during calls, and I've not though of how to make that possible yet

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...p-bluetooth-mod&highlight=Cheap+bluetooth+mod

///M135i

HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

boy local to me had that. nice looking motor. where is it for sale?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do you plan to do any trackdays?

If not, give serious consideration to finding a non-Cup. Its blend of suppleness and control is perfect for the roads and it does it without loosening fillings.

I did 30k in mine along with several trackdays...it was never as sharp on track as my 172 Cup was but it was more than capable and didn't 'complain' at all. On road, covering 50 miles each day over rough a/B roads, it was perfect.

Do you plan to do any trackdays?

If not, give serious consideration to finding a non-Cup. Its blend of suppleness and control is perfect for the roads and it does it without loosening fillings.

I did 30k in mine along with several trackdays...it was never as sharp on track as my 172 Cup was but it was more than capable and didn't 'complain' at all. On road, covering 50 miles each day over rough a/B roads, it was perfect.

Don't have any immediate plans, but it is something I plan on in the future.

RS Clio 172 Cup

HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

HighResImage.aspx

That is nice mate, I doubt you'd regret buying it and you would love driving it!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I reckon black is one of the best colors for a 200, nice that