ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio rt to 172 lookalike

Clio rt 1998 1.4
Hello there, im new to this forum so thank you for any help you may be able to give me. I have a Blue (not sure the official colour ... bluey/green haha ) 1998 renault clio rt 1.4, Unfortunatly its the 5dr version so theres not alot i can do but would i be able to get the half leather front seats from a phase 1 172 and fit them straight into my car? i love the bumpers on them also but Im pretty sure the 172 was never made in the same colour as my car so they would need sprayed and thats way beyond my budget. The only other option i could think was put spotlights in the front bumper and then lower the car? Is there anything else i can do to make it look sportier and alittle more like the 172?

Thank you

2013 Toyota GT86
Unless someone can tell me otherwise I see no reason why the RS leather/alcantara seats wouldn't just bolt straight in. You could put on a set of 172 wheels they aren't that expensive to buy. The trouble with the bumper is that it's obvious in the difference between a non RS Clio.

Clio rt 1998 1.4
Unless someone can tell me otherwise I see no reason why the RS leather/alcantara seats wouldn't just bolt straight in. You could put on a set of 172 wheels they aren't that expensive to buy. The trouble with the bumper is that it's obvious in the difference between a non RS Clio.

I understand the problem with fitting the bumpers to be honest... may get spots fitted to the front and lower it. (never been a big fan of lowering cars as stories ive heard are never good i.e ball joints and bushes wearing away at massive rates) How much should I be prepaired to pay for the front seats ? Scrap yards maybe?

also is there a difference between the headlights from my car 2 the ones on the 172?

to make it look sportier, you can always get a sport/cup spoiler, lower, maybe some OZ F1's, colour code your standard bumpers if you cant afford a sport kit (remember all the sport rear bumper is, is a colour coded bumper, nothing fancy), dual optics :)

you can get fog lights, may be a bit of a pain wiring them in/getting a stalk etc. its up to you.

pretty sure the phase one seats bolt straight in, although they have airbags in which your seats wont.

Hey Mechie, welcome to ClioSport.net!
You're in the same boat as me, I've a Phase 1 non-sport, a 1.4L clio. Check out in the clio projects section, there are some great non-sport replicas/look alikes.

Get some window deflectors, silvered bulbs, clear side indicators, phase 2 rear lights, the sporty projector head lamps etc, they make the car look much better. Colour-coding is another thing that you can do yourself or have done cheap enough to make the mirrors, handles, side strips etc. match the car.
Good source for bits is either here if you're a full member or look for breakers on gumtree who have clios for breaking.
There's actually a 172 for sale over here for £750 odd that needs a water pump and minor work. If i could insure it, i'd almost be tempted to buy it!
I'd, like you, love to get the 172 bumpers but again -they need painted and as far as i'm aware, if you want the front bumper, you also need both wings as it's a little wider than standard. Too expensive for me!

Clio rt 1998 1.4
Here is my car as it stands right now. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/img0016opw.jpg/ I was thinking about colour coding the plastic trim but not sure how to go about it. Im planning on doing it my self but does anyone recon its worth it and will it make a major difference or is there something else I could do that would make a noticeable difference instead. I currently have ice white headlights with blue tint sides which makes a nice difference in the dark but the car just looks to standard for me. Im not into a modded looking car just something a bit more sporty. I was looking into tinting my windows again but cant afford the £££ bill from the tinters, i can tint the windows myself okay but cant seem to get the rear window on any car tinted right as the heating elements that run across the window dont allow the tint to stick down on them. Any tips ?

Here is my car as it stands right now. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/img0016opw.jpg/ I was thinking about colour coding the plastic trim but not sure how to go about it. Im planning on doing it my self but does anyone recon its worth it and will it make a major difference or is there something else I could do that would make a noticeable difference instead. I currently have ice white headlights with blue tint sides which makes a nice difference in the dark but the car just looks to standard for me. Im not into a modded looking car just something a bit more sporty. I was looking into tinting my windows again but cant afford the £££ bill from the tinters, i can tint the windows myself okay but cant seem to get the rear window on any car tinted right as the heating elements that run across the window dont allow the tint to stick down on them. Any tips ?

here's a tip, dont tint it!

hehe, if I were you, colour code, some sport alloys, a nice drop (maybe 40mm) dual optics, sport spoiler, then itll look good mate :)

Get some clear side repeaters - they're a fiver on ebay and easy to fit
Get some Phase 2 rear lights - you can get a good set cheap from scappy/on here if your a full member
Get the Dual-Optic headlights - they improve the look so much.
They'll made the car look sportier and they're mostly all stndard parts so it wont look like a ricer.

If you have a look around the non-sport project threads, you'll see plenty of ideas.
I want to do my trim too but the time it takes to dry etc, i'd have to carefully remove it as I'd need the car in the mean time, couldnt go bumperless and the trim wouldnt be dry and finished over the weekend I think.