ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sound System

Renault Clio Mk2Ph2
I got a Sony DSX S300BT stereo for christmas which I have put in my clio however i now need new speakers. I want to replace the front and rear speakers and put an amp and sub in.

I have some experience in installing sound systems but I get a bit confused when buying!!

Im not sure whether to replace the tweeters as well as the main speakers, not sure if this will benefit me or not? If so is it better to buy the tweeters separate from the speakers?

I have a JL Audio 125 watt rms 12 inch sub however Im not sure what sort of amp power i need.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Buy component speakers for the front (includes two x speakers, two x tweeters and two x crossovers) and coaxial for the back.

The difference between coaxial and component;

Coaxial come with the tweeter built onto the main driver/cone and are better for locations in which there is no tweeter space available.

Component come with the drivers and tweeters separate so you can mount the tweeters up in the dash. However this does require you removing the dashboard its self. There are plenty of guides in the guides section (does require you to be a paid member)

Both speaker sizes are 13cm's (not sure about the tweeters)

as for brands;

Vibe
JL Audio
JBL

Renault Clio MK4 RS
what you could do to give it a bit more power is to get a 2/4 channel amplifier and wire up speakers so they are getting more power than the built in amp on the head unit :) just a 600w 4 channel amplifier should be all you need im sure :)

Renault Clio Mk2Ph2
how hard would it be to wire the speakers to the sub? the head unit is outputting 52 watts x 4, but i think this is max and not rms? Would it damage the speakers to have higher watt speakers than the HU amp?

ITB BG 182
Your speakers can be wired to a 4/5 channel amp and you can have the fronts running off two of the channels with the sub running off one or 2 of the others.

I helped a friend set uphis system to run the fronts and sub off the same amp, his sub had dual connections, so we used two connections from the amp to power the sub.

If you think you might end up getting a bigger more thirsty sub then head down the dual amp route, one to run the speakers and another for the sub.

Also for reference to the speakers, alot of people just amp the current speakers and they'll produce a nice enough sound, if you want to go up though then look at some thing like comps, Pioneer does a nice set that will fit the current tweeter position and amped will sound better than standard.

If you want to go up again then look at 6.5" comps from the likes of Focal and mount the tweeters on the A pillars in the direction of central to the car. A decent amp and good power supply and your neighbours will hate you in no time at all.

Renault Clio Mk2Ph2
Your speakers can be wired to a 4/5 channel amp and you can have the fronts running off two of the channels with the sub running off one or 2 of the others.

I helped a friend set uphis system to run the fronts and sub off the same amp, his sub had dual connections, so we used two connections from the amp to power the sub.

If you think you might end up getting a bigger more thirsty sub then head down the dual amp route, one to run the speakers and another for the sub.

Also for reference to the speakers, alot of people just amp the current speakers and they'll produce a nice enough sound, if you want to go up though then look at some thing like comps, Pioneer does a nice set that will fit the current tweeter position and amped will sound better than standard.

If you want to go up again then look at 6.5" comps from the likes of Focal and mount the tweeters on the A pillars in the direction of central to the car. A decent amp and good power supply and your neighbours will hate you in no time at all.

Do you know which pioneer comps fit the current tweeter positions, I dont really want to remount the tweeters if i can help it!!!

I think to start with Ill use the amp in the HU to power the front speakers and then get a 4/5 channel amp so i have the option of amping the front speakers at a later date.

Does anyone know if having speakers that are higher wattage than the amp in the HU will damage the speakers, I know if you over power the speakers with too many watts from the amp they blow but not sure if they will damage the other way around?

Thanks

ITB BG 182
These are the pioneers that most people get.

With regards to the in-amp/speaker, if your amp is not powerful enough, when you get the the higher volumes it might start to crackle the sound and not be as nice, this is because the speakers want more yet the amp can not provide it, it can cause HU problems if it happens too many times.

You can get an in-line amp from Alpine that will work with the exsisting speaker wires and this will give it more boost but for what it costs you might aswell get another amp.

Listerine & Poledo
Just get a decent sub in the boot, kill any low-end to the stock speakers and you'll find they're actually fine. This is all I did in my 172.
Alpine HU with the High-pass switched on.
Active sub in boot.
Fin.

Renault Clio Mk2Ph2
Thanks all for the advice :) Those speakers look so nice!

With regards to the amp, does anyone know any good ones that will power a 125 watt rms JL Audio sub?