ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio spinning

D

dick

lol, i cant get my clio to lift off oversteer, as hard as i try, its crap!

just understeer understeer understeer

Better than yours. C*nt.
I have to say, are you completely incompetent?

Ok, everyone who pushes their car to the limit finds that limit, and usually if it's after recently getting a new one it tends to be a hop, skip and a jump over that limit, but 5 times? Do you lick windows?

I'd even be so courteous to let you off 2 or 3 times as I don't know you, but I'm sure reading that that you're one of the 'special' people that cause huge pile ups and massive accidents yet always seem to avoid them...

It took a freshly re-mapped 140bhp/tonne RWD car for me to spin, and that was only once!

Better than yours. C*nt.
but i dont consider myself to be a fast driver, this is why i have put this thread up, just to see if anyone else has it

dear me some of you need to chill out a bit. your all so touchy!

You have a point there. :)

Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon. Typical case of judging a book by its cover there. (or just the content of your first post!)
Happens all too often on these pages so sorry about that.

And i always pride myself on being one of the chilled out ones around here as well! :cool:

D'oh!

No no, I think you are right in the first instance. A, if you're getting understeer then you're pushing too hard, B, if you're getting oversteer in an FWD car you're badly compensating for driving like a numpty.

In 50,000 miles, I spun my RWD car ONCE and I hold my hands up and admit that 3/4 lock round a small roundabout while hard on the gas was probably not one of my more intelligent ideas.

And don't pretend kids make you sensible - I've seen someone on their phone on the motorway drive straight up the metal barrier as it rose up out of the floor because he missed his junction and tried to swerve up it... With three kids in the back.

Clio 1.4 16v
dear me guys most of you are all mental, chill out! this has to be the worst forum ive joined for people bitching and insulting when none of you actually know me.

and dont tell me that im not sensible, i dont care about the idiot on his mobile, i love my kids and would never do anything like that.

and if some of you actually read the posts properly i have said that i only loose the back end a little, spinning was the in correct word. cheers to the guys who have withdrawn their comment and im pleased to see that im not the only one doing it.

i have just moved 30 mins out of town into the country so obviously not used to the new car and different roads yet.

i think some of you need to take your pills and calm down a little. stop being so snobbish and having the "i know everything" attitude. listen to what people have to say and dont jump to conclusions, like i said before none of you know me. be nice for a change, doesnt cost anything. i was only seeing if if anyone else was doing it. ill know not to bother on this helpful forum in future...

"Cliosport.net - a club dedicated to Clio Owners and Enthusiasts...oh and people who will not make you feel welcome, insult you in their replies and because they know everything ... youll always be wrong!"

i have only just joined this froum recently. and when i joined i had some really helpful replies, now after people replies on this im in 2 minds, i see this happening on here all the time, "your car looks this" just because he hasnt moddified it to look like its the original spec, if theyve stuck 2.0 badges on their 1.2 and they havent put 182 ancharite wheels on. at the end of the day its their cars. theres no need to give negative comments about them.

if you cant say something nice...dont say anything at all, after all this is supposed to be a forum ran by "enthusiasts"

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.
We're talking about spinning, and people's opinions in this thread?

A forum is an open discussion forum, you say not spinning, ok, back steps out a little - you weren't going quite-so-too-fast as I said above, and you weren't quite as careless as I implied, but you're driving beyond the ability of yourself and your car. It would only take a small gust of wind (anyone doubts me, try riding a motorbike up the M6!) to take that small unsettlement and turn it into a pant-soiling, hedge-busting mistake.

Slow down a little, enjoy your car, and if it is only reasonable speeds you're doing then get your car checked: In the words of the Stig to describe an awful Audi's handling - "It felt like the car had been in a big accident - and not fixed properly"

Moving on to people's opinions on their cars, we go back to it being a discussion board. If someone dislikes someone's car, they're more than welcome to voice that opinion IMHO. I've had my car ripped to bits for 2 years - I'm a gay hairdresser apparently and I got asked the other week where the remote control was. Difference being it's me that bought the car, me that drives it and the few that have driven it are won over by it's handling and fun factor. I don't need a room full of people to lick my ringsting better to know my car looks good - I would appreciate constructive criticism about where it can be improved.

I do see your argument though, and on every board (I briefly ran one of my own!) you get people who aren't so tactful about their opinions, including "That's Gash!" and "OMFG!!111"22141921 Wot a bag of sh*t u sud av bort dis cos lyk I drive it init!"

Enjoy your time here - and a bit of banter is only intended as personal if you make it. I was busy ripping seven bells out of McBunny the other day, I don't know the man but I think he's alright, and he knows his stuff. I'll be looking forward to shaking hands and having a laugh at one or three of the shows this year. Remember - if you take it personally, you make it personal.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
dear me guys most of you are all mental, chill out! this has to be the worst forum ive joined for people b**ching and insulting when none of you actually know me.

and dont tell me that im not sensible, i dont care about the idiot on his mobile, i love my kids and would never do anything like that.

and if some of you actually read the posts properly i have said that i only loose the back end a little, spinning was the in correct word. cheers to the guys who have withdrawn their comment and im pleased to see that im not the only one doing it.

i have just moved 30 mins out of town into the country so obviously not used to the new car and different roads yet.

i think some of you need to take your pills and calm down a little. stop being so snobbish and having the "i know everything" attitude. listen to what people have to say and dont jump to conclusions, like i said before none of you know me. be nice for a change, doesnt cost anything. i was only seeing if if anyone else was doing it. ill know not to bother on this helpful forum in future...

"Cliosport.net - a club dedicated to Clio Owners and Enthusiasts...oh and people who will not make you feel welcome, insult you in their replies and because they know everything ... youll always be wrong!"

i have only just joined this froum recently. and when i joined i had some really helpful replies, now after people replies on this im in 2 minds, i see this happening on here all the time, "your car looks this" just because he hasnt moddified it to look like its the original spec, if theyve stuck 2.0 badges on their 1.2 and they havent put 182 ancharite wheels on. at the end of the day its their cars. theres no need to give negative comments about them.

if you cant say something nice...dont say anything at all, after all this is supposed to be a forum ran by "enthusiasts"

Best post ive read for ages to be honest :D

BMW M135i
lol, i cant get my clio to lift off oversteer, as hard as i try, its crap!

just understeer understeer understeer

It'll do it believe me, your just not doing it right. You've got to shift the weight as you lift to make the backend kick out, not let it understeer into oblivion and then lift.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
How do you fix lift off oversteer? I hate it lol. What do people do wrong to cause lift off oversteer?

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Sometimes the backend fishtails on mine when I come out of a particularly sharp corner. And yes, I do drive too fast sometimes, and no, I don't want to slow down.

Clio 1.4 16v
yeh im up for a bit of banter, always am!

im just saying pretty much all of you branded me as a careless driver who knew nothing. as said i was merely asking if i was the only one doing it. and as it happens...im not

so my question has been asnwered! and at the same time insulted and pretty much said that i dont car about my kids, something i dont take kindly to.

Turbos.
VWSaxon, i think the problem is people tend to just reply to orginal post, clearly you made a mistake by saying 'spun' when you should of said you lost the back end.

Even so, to get into trouble on the road 90% of the time means you were going to fast for the conditions. Perhaps you may of hit a patch of diesel one time, but five times is seriously unlikely!

Unless you are trying to deliberately unsettle the car, lift off oversteer is caused by lifting off mid bend, so you must of been travelling faster than you should have.

Learning to trail brake is the solution to managing weight transfer on a FWD.

Clio 1.4 16v
VWSaxon, i think the problem is people tend to just reply to orginal post, clearly you made a mistake by saying 'spun' when you should of said you lost the back end.

Even so, to get into trouble on the road 90% of the time means you were going to fast for the conditions. Perhaps you may of hit a patch of diesel one time, but five times is seriously unlikely!

Unless you are trying to deliberately unsettle the car, lift off oversteer is caused by lifting off mid bend, so you must of been travelling faster than you should have.

Learning to trail brake is the solution to managing weight transfer on a FWD.

yes and that is why i corrected myself in saying not spun and losing the back end.

and it is also why i posted to ask if its something to do with the car as it happenened a few times! i have had 5 cars before the clio, 3 hatchbacks, a van, and a saloon and havent experienced this before!

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

Turbos.
Trail braking is essentially learning to left foot brake. Basically it is the transition from having full braking to no braking by the time you get to the apex of the corner (at which point you are then starting to accelerate).

In a FWD when you brake it is throwing all weight forward, then when you turn the weight is mainly on the outside front tyre. Trail braking distributes the weight more evenly (vertical loading) and so will reduce understeer.

When it comes to 'apexing,' presuming a corner has one apex, you know you've got it right when you require no additional steering input once past it, i.e you should be able to hold the same amount of lock throught the corner. Not massively important in a FWD though...