ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio spinning

Clio 1.4 16v
:rolleyes: this might sound gay to you guys, and it could just be my imagination, and wet roads, but ive spun the clio about 5 times now. 3 times on roundabouts, and another coming round the corner and tapped the brakes, not so much of a spin there, more of the back end steppin out.

i used to have a saloon before, maybe i havent adjusted yet? or is there something wrong?

its a 1.4 16v 2003 plate

:eek:

Astra 1.8 SRi
Calm down a bit and don't go around a roundabout like a nutcase! Surely you must know the limits of the car if you've had it a while..or get some decent tyres.

^^^^^^^^^ come on dash tankers/ oil spill/driver error i think the jury decideds 9 to 1 in favour of driver error

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Pains me to say it but Rip3z has a point.
Braking and gearshifting mid turn is a schoolboy error....and in the wet is just asking for trouble.

Sounds like you are too hot into roundabouts and corners and then lift off oversteering your tail into trouble.
Slow down! You'll live longer...especially this time of year.

Sounds like you just need to learn how to drive the car fully first braking whilst going round the bend is the first problem plus your most likly lifting off the front of the car dives. Weight transfers to the front the rear don't have any grip and it come out on you.

Was it you I saw spin out on a roundabout in Reading on Saturday morning?

Twas a girl in a dark coloured Clio. Looked embarrased!

al

ST on the way...
Just take it steady, i've only span once in 4 years of driving........unfortunately it was into a wall.

Clio 197
I've lost the back-end a few times... and always caught it (apart from once on an airfield-day).

All mainly due to tired rear-dampers & tyres.

Clio 1.4 16v
yes all points to me driving fast, but im a mature married adult with 2 kids. i dont drive like an idiot one bit

so saying that is incorrect. also it wasnt a "school boy" error in braking around a corner, there was cows crossing the road!

jall im saying is that from driving it the same as the saloon it reacts alot differntly

spin was the wrong word, i mean like loose th eback end a little, never actually span the car round

BMW M3
Im guessing you may not be too familiar with weight distribution (thats not meant to sound patronising)

Transfering weight to the front of a clio while cornering is bound to end in spinnage.

Brake before the corner, enter at appropiate speed, keep it steady and then power as you begin to exit the corner.

Spinning 5 times un-intentionaly is not good !! lol

MY10 R35 GTR
i maybe way off in the wrong direction, if the cars lowered, u may need the brake bias changed, sounds silly i know.

i lowerer my old car and after wards it had a big tendancd to try swap ends under breaking. what i found out was that because the car had been lowered the ecu thought the car was fully loaded so it flung all the break bias to the back. so a quick reset of every thing, problem solved.

BMW M3
Ok... I retract a bit of my statement now lol

Although the weight transfer is still relevent...... the clio is not heavy and the back is especially light. The rear of a saloon is not so and therefore less chance of lift-off-oversteer in your previous car imo.

Clio 1.4 16v
Ok... I retract a bit of my statement now lol

thank you, much appreciated! i pretty much always have the kids with me, so i would never drive like an idiot and en danger my children

sounds to me like i havent adjusted yet, from what your all saying. cheers for your replies :approve:

Clio 1.4 16v
but i dont consider myself to be a fast driver, this is why i have put this thread up, just to see if anyone else has it

dear me some of you need to chill out a bit. your all so touchy!

al

ST on the way...
The roads are s**t at the moment anyway and most councills don't bother resurfacing roads at the proper intervals these days.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
You have a point there. :)

Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon. Typical case of judging a book by its cover there. (or just the content of your first post!)
Happens all too often on these pages so sorry about that.

And i always pride myself on being one of the chilled out ones around here as well! :cool:

D'oh!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
but i dont consider myself to be a fast driver, this is why i have put this thread up, just to see if anyone else has it

dear me some of you need to chill out a bit. your all so touchy!

You have a point there. :)

Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon. Typical case of judging a book by its cover there. (or just the content of your first post!)
Happens all too often on these pages so sorry about that.

And i always pride myself on being one of the chilled out ones around here as well! :cool:

D'oh!

BMW M135i
I'll echo what everyone else has said, but also check your rear tyres. When I only had F1s on the front it was a complete drift machine the second a bit of water hit the tarmac, F1s all round and its solid as a rock. Unfortunately I had to come undone once to teach me a lesson, very similar to what happened to Al but I only hit a curb at (what I assume was) much lower speed.

BMW M3
Thats the trouble with forums.... can only judge people by whats written.

Now youve replied a few times, i take back any insinuation about naivety or driving silly as you say you have kids in the car, and that you meant lossing a bit of grip at the backend. I thought you meant completely spin the car round lol.

Would check the pressure in the tyre and is prob a case of getting used to the clio and not a big saloon.

TBH, i have found myself loosing the backend a bit over xmas while cornering normally so might just be the roads just now... very greasy !!