ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio starting problem, revs fly to 6000 then stall!!!

340bhp s14a, Clio2 1.4 8v
Hi people,
I'm having a problem with my 2000 1.4 8v Clio. I parked it up at my brothers house and when i returned to the car to start it it didn't want to play ball.
Basically when the key is turned the engine fires up, flys to about 6000 odd revs then splutters and stalls. It is also accompanied by a few backfires. I don't have my foot on the accelerator at any time.
Any idea's? i'm about to go look it over when i can get a lift back to my brothers.

Thanks

340bhp s14a, Clio2 1.4 8v
For future reference if anyone has this prolem.
Turned out to be renaults s**te design with the throttle body. Who doesn't bolt a throttle body down?
One of the bolts on the airbox had shook loose which resulted in the airbox lifting and taking the throttle body with it, leaving a gap between the throttle body and the inlet manifold. This gap resulted in the engine sucking in air an shooting the revs up probably running lean in the process as the air didn't pass through the MAF sensor. I'm guessing the ecu saw some knocking and retarded the timing resulting in the backfires.