ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio struggling when slowing down / setting off

Clio Expression (2003)
I know you've probably heard all this before but I read different posts and they all point at different things and all have slightly different problems so thought I'd make a new post.

A chap over on the 350z-uk forums pointed me in this direction (Chris'I)

I've tried the search button and found some useful information but this is just another check before it goes into my mates garage for diagnostics.

The car in question is a Clio Mark II Phase II (2003) Expression 1.2 16v.

Car had a service just less than 12 months ago and has only done 6000 since then. The car isn't really running lumpy but when it comes to slowing down for junctions etc then it feels like its going to stall. Also sometimes when trying to accelerate away from a standstill.

Changed the HT leads & coil pack (all in one unit) and its only slightly cured the problem.

Can't imagine it being plugs etc because of low mileage since its last service although not ruling it out & will be getting those changed anyway.

She's having to keep it on high revs at junctions / road ends or even trying to park to stop it stalling.

Car doesn't struggle on pick up & doesn't sound as if its running on 3 cylinders (did before I changed the coil pack)

I've read certain things like the TDC (top dead centre) sensor & the Idle Control Valve. Also read that it could be a dirty throttle body.

One of the strange things is that there is a noise coming from around the engine, towards the back, which sounds like the sucking of air.

Read that it could be a loose or split vacuum hose or something similar.

I asked if her MPG were lower than usual, but she doesn't use her trip computer so the only answer I got back was "a tenner usually lasts a week, seems to be using a little more now".

The car is nearly always used on short runs and probably doesn't get time to warm up fully. The problem first started after a long 45 minute journey on 60/70 mph roads.

As I'm not massively clued up on car mechanics can anyone give me their opinion on what they think could be causing this?

Like I said i'll be booking it in at my mates garage (probably next week) for him to have a look at it. Its just so I can give him a print out of what responses I get on here so he can take those into account before he starts looking at it.

Thanks in advance guys

Jamie

1.5dci
take your spark plugs out and give them a good clean over with wire brush,

my mates r5, had quite simular problems, every so often he has to give the plugs a clean or else it just dont fire up properly and if he dont keep the revs on it splutters n wants to die,

give it a try is all i could suggest ?

Clio Expression (2003)
All the garages don't seem to be able to give me an answer.

Its been in the garage who have tried HT leads, Coil Pack & a heat sensor and its done absolutely nothing. They then took it to another independant who has just bought all singing all dancing renault diagnostic equipment which in turn showed absolutely nothing up.

If I take it to renault to diagnose will they just come back with exactly the same story that the second garage came back with, that nothing has shown up on their diagnostic equipment and charge her £63+vat? Or do they have unique testing equipment that WILL show something up?

Somewhere in the conversation between the garage and my gf, they mentioned that its got a pressure leak somewhere and they think that is down to either the inlet manifold being cracked or the gasket. I think the third one they mentioned was a valve being down. Does this sound feasible?

Are there any checks you can do to pin point a vacuum leak?

Clio Expression (2003)
Finally got to the bottom of it and it was one of the injectors. Swapped the injectors about and the fault moved so ordered a replacement one and problem is solved. £65+vat for the injector.

Hope this helps a few people as its driven me mad for nearly a month!