ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Timing Chain??

2002 clio 1.4 16v
You can say what you like...even if the chain gets noisy you can change it before your engine gets trashed...the belt gives no warning. I cannot believe some of the remarks I have read here.
They use belts because they are cheaper to produce and admittedly have the benefit of quieter running...that is all.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
and it makes customers come beck every x years to change the belts making them money...
damn those car manufacturers trying to run a business! how dare they!

like i said, if youre not a complete r****d and you keep ontop of service interval its pretty rare to have a belt snap

You can say what you like...even if the chain gets noisy you can change it before your engine gets trashed...the belt gives no warning. I cannot believe some of the remarks I have read here.
They use belts because they are cheaper to produce and admittedly have the benefit of quieter running...that is all.

Belts give a warning in the form of a service interval.

BMW claim lifetime chain intervals. b****cks. I've yet to see one that hasn't stretched or worn it's tensioner away.

Chains are run on oil pressure tension, so when an engine is most likely to skip a few teeth, is upon sudden bursts of torque. I.e cranking. When there's no oil pressure. You wouldn't want to start a car with no tension on the cambelt would you ;)

You're not a driving instructor from Poole area by any chance are you?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...lt-Con-Rip-off-tactics-(If-you-fancy-a-laugh)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
The transh1t DI or tdci engines have an oil tensioner. they have a 'revised' tensioner out that now removes a peg off it, which used to hold the tensioner guide at a set point ( near max ) until the oil pumped up enough

one thing I will never like is chain driven engines. After all the jaguar xtypes I've done, get sick of dropping the whole engine and box out to do the stupid chain, when it either fails from incorrect factory fitment / quality or bad servicing.

Give me a b*****d of a cambelt job anyday tbh!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

But, and i'm playing Devils advocate here, when did you hear of a timing belt failing within its service interval that wasn't caused by another factor (such as foreign object damage, contamination or component failure)? Issues like this can and do happen leading to the demise of a drive chain to. Granted that a timing chain does give a much longer service life over a belt but nothing in a mechanical assembly should ever be considered "For life" IMHO and the only people that *should* appeal to are fleet/purchase managers (who tend to know nothing about anything).

You can't really say that a chain is better than a belt just because they give warning that an issue is there and it makes a noise. If the vehicle is serviced correctly by people that know what they're talking about on the actual engine platform then the customer shouldn't ever run in to problems (Providing the advise is taken and acted upon accordingly of course). Sometimes the customer has no mechanical sympathy or they think you're just trying to up-sell them on a service item they don't really need. The industry on the whole though (to me at least) sometimes seems to promote the ignorance regarding correct servicing of a vehicle and often make it overly confusing to justify costs. Truth is that timing belts are cheaper to produce and force more a regular maintenance schedule on a vehicle which if we're being honest is never a bad thing when done correctly - when did you last hear of a vehicle die from being over serviced?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think the issue comes from the Clio f4r belt being expensive and a nightmare to do.

I've owned a few chain cars with zero issue. The 2.0 zetec unit out the Mondeo and Fiesta ST seems to serve well.
The 3.2 V6 in the Vag range has had a few hiccups, imo for poor servicing.

I also seen an R56 mini chain eat through the casing almost, the car needed a full engine so to speak and it was 12 months out warranty. Iirc her bill was 4.5k.

I cannot believe some of the remarks I have read here

LOL, the cheek! I can't believe some of the stuff I've read here either... :rolleyes:

Is it possible to change the belt to a chain?

...unless you change the pulleys!!

That suggests air...it may leak...the good old chain was so reliable....or push rods with gear to gear contact!

Air will leak. Which is why everything that relies on air has a compressor. Compressors don't have to be noisy either.

See Chip's point r.e. tuning, it would remove one of the single biggest limitations associated with the 4-stroke engine concept.

As for push rods or gear to gear contact... I'm going to assume this was meant in jest. Reciprocating mass, cost, poor engine output & poor efficiency etc.

Yes, but at least a noisy chain is not going to mess up your engine

See Dan's post if you haven't already.

the Ford OHC engine of the late 60s and onwards had a timing belt but did not suffer damage if the belt gave up. I wonder why they do not use this system.

Google "interference" vs "clearance" valve trains. The former means the valves meet the piston without a belt, but typically offers a higher compression ratio with better packaging, a smaller lump, less material and less cost than the "valves can't meet the piston" clearance design.

Hopefully you've learnt a lot from this thread about modern engine design. I assume you prefer your classics?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I think the issue comes from the Clio f4r belt being expensive and a nightmare to do.

I've owned a few chain cars with zero issue. The 2.0 zetec unit out the Mondeo and Fiesta ST seems to serve well.
The 3.2 V6 in the Vag range has had a few hiccups, imo for poor servicing.

I also seen an R56 mini chain eat through the casing almost, the car needed a full engine so to speak and it was 12 months out warranty. Iirc her bill was 4.5k.

Exept if you bump start those engines there's a high chance of skipping a tooth